Coilover nitrogen pressures

utiadam

LOSER
Who has done tuning with the shock pressures. I'm still running the 250/250 and 200/250 springs that came on the coilovers. I helped a buddy install the evo plush 4" coils on his jeep with the king 2.5 shocks and I was amazed at how nice the ride was. I'm assuming it's possible to get similar ride from the coilovers? It just seems too stiff right now.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Who has done tuning with the shock pressures. I'm still running the 250/250 and 200/250 springs that came on the coilovers. I helped a buddy install the evo plush 4" coils on his jeep with the king 2.5 shocks and I was amazed at how nice the ride was. I'm assuming it's possible to get similar ride from the coilovers? It just seems too stiff right now.

You do realize that the King 2.5's are BIGGER than the bolt on coil overs, right? As I always tell people, the Plush Ride coils and 2.5 Kings will provide a nicer ride than bolt on coil overs. What they won't provide is more flex. If you want a softer ride, you may want to consider getting a softer spring rate for your upper coils.

That being said, what psi are you running in your front and rear coil overs? Shouldn't make a big difference but, I would be curious to know.

utiadam

LOSER
You do realize that the King 2.5's are BIGGER than the bolt on coil overs, right? As I always tell people, the Plush Ride coils and 2.5 Kings will provide a nicer ride than bolt on coil overs. What they won't provide is more flex. If you want a softer ride, you may want to consider getting a softer spring rate for your upper coils.

That being said, what psi are you running in your front and rear coil overs? Shouldn't make a big difference but, I would be curious to know.

I knew they were bigger but didn't know diameter would affect ride quality. I don't know how much pressure is in them right now. It's whatever king sets them to. If I remember correctly I think saddletramp had told me that he lowered his from 175 to 150 and it smoothed it out. I thought one of the main benefits of coilovers was softer spring rates which would mean a softer ride. Don't get me wrong, I would do the coilovers again. I just know that there are basically endless tuning capability to these and I've only done ride height and timing rings.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I knew they were bigger but didn't know diameter would affect ride quality. I don't know how much pressure is in them right now. It's whatever king sets them to. If I remember correctly I think saddletramp had told me that he lowered his from 175 to 150 and it smoothed it out. I thought one of the main benefits of coilovers was softer spring rates which would mean a softer ride. Don't get me wrong, I would do the coilovers again. I just know that there are basically endless tuning capability to these and I've only done ride height and timing rings.

It's not just the bigger shocks, you've got a bigger coil that is softer. You can get the same feel but you would need to change out your coils to a softer rate. When I was running the bolt-on's, I was running about 140-150 psi up front and 200 in the rear if that helps.

utiadam

LOSER
It's not just the bigger shocks, you've got a bigger coil that is softer. You can get the same feel but you would need to change out your coils to a softer rate. When I was running the bolt-on's, I was running about 140-150 psi up front and 200 in the rear if that helps.

Thanks! I'll give it a shot

utiadam

LOSER
Just in case you aren't aware, you will need a special gauge to check your psi. King sells one but it's pricy and you can also find ones similar to it for less on eBay.

Thank you. I have seen the special gauges and the kits from power tank. I don't have one yet but I think a buddy of mine has the equipment.

Havoc40

Most people will tell you not to tune coilovers by adjusting the nitrogen pressure. Tune with valving and spring rates. Actually, I'm pretty sure King says the same thing. Technically they're right, but some adjustment to pressure can give you an idea where you want to go with valving and spring rates.

While going to school for my 1st degree at UNOH, we were taught as a rule of thumb to keep it to +/- 50psi on a given valve arrangement. So....if you started at 200psi (typical starting point) and were happier with things at 150psi, you should consider shimming for further adjustments.

The problem with too low of nitrogen pressure is the possibility of creating vacuum under the piston and/or having the oil foam up. When that happens you cavitate the shock and can damage it. Monitoring the shock temperature will give you a pretty good idea of what's happening inside the shock body. Before making any changes, record the current operating temperature of the shock body with an infrared thermometer. When things get unhappy as you make adjustments, you'll notice that with the IR. Higher pressures help with cavitation and will lower temperatures.

Last edited:

Tree Frog

Very good thread!

Keep going I am all ears.

You just cant get this kind of information any place else. (At least not that I have found.)
Thank you!

Is there a guide, book or instruction sheet anyplace?

utiadam

LOSER
So a local shop is going to charge me $10/shock to adjust pressures. Doesn't seem too bad to me since 4 wheel parts wanted $20/shock. I'll go next week after work one day and I'll post up starting pressures as well as what I set them to.

utiadam

LOSER
Update:
I went to the shop today and got the pressures adjusted. My left front was around 110, right front had a broken valve core and was empty, and rears were around 170. We set them to 150 all around. I was stuck in stop and go traffic from there all the way home so I can't really comment on a ride difference yet.

Tree Frog

I thought you just did this install not too long ago?

If so is this common and should I have a new install checked right away?

Question's:
How do you know when its time to have them checked and or adjusted? It is a ride quality thing or does one corner sag a lot?

There was a comment that air pressure and Nitrogen pressures used different gauges, why and what is the difference?
Are they Schrader valves?

Other than the obvious stuff like Nitrogen bottle, regulator and hoses and of course the gauge, what else is required to do this at home?
Or is this something that it really does not pay off to purchase all this stuff if your only going to do it once every two years or so.

I really doubt there is anybody around Roseburg with the tools or knowledge and its about 3 hours to Portland.
Thanks for your information and help.

utiadam

LOSER
I thought you just did this install not too long ago?

If so is this common and should I have a new install checked right away?

Question's:
How do you know when its time to have them checked and or adjusted? It is a ride quality thing or does one corner sag a lot?

There was a comment that air pressure and Nitrogen pressures used different gauges, why and what is the difference?
Are they Schrader valves?

Other than the obvious stuff like Nitrogen bottle, regulator and hoses and of course the gauge, what else is required to do this at home?
Or is this something that it really does not pay off to purchase all this stuff if your only going to do it once every two years or so.

I really doubt there is anybody around Roseburg with the tools or knowledge and its about 3 hours to Portland.
Thanks for your information and help.

Yeah, the coilovers have only been on since February. I'm really not sure how the valve was broken because there was no signs of impact and I have never even removed the caps to them before. There were no signs of it being low. Honestly I thought they were over charged up until I found out that one was empty. They are schrader valves just like a tire. The differences in the gauges as far as I know is just the pressure that it reads up to. There is a kit on eBay that includes regulator, gauge, and hose with the no leak fitting for $180 I think.

Tree Frog

Thanks for the answers.

May look into the kit or build up my own. Have an account at Airgas and they love me, so I know they could help out with supplies.

It sound like I really need to at least check mine. If nothing else for piece of mind.

utiadam

LOSER
Thanks for the answers.

May look into the kit or build up my own. Have an account at Airgas and they love me, so I know they could help out with supplies.

It sound like I really need to at least check mine. If nothing else for piece of mind.

Yeah, I'd be curious to know what pressure you have in yours before adjusting

Tree Frog

Yeah me too.

Fresh out of the box, just installed. Only set down on ground for a minute then back up in air.

I am pretty sure I have a brand new fluid filled gauge that is a 0-200 lb. sitting in the top of my rollaway right now.

Will check sometime, possibly tomorrow and will get back to you.

I will not run them until I know. Have read if they are low that oil will get in the wrong place? Does it go back when pressurized to the correct setting?

So 150 is the correct number to shoot for?

utiadam

LOSER
Yeah me too.

Fresh out of the box, just installed. Only set down on ground for a minute then back up in air.

I am pretty sure I have a brand new fluid filled gauge that is a 0-200 lb. sitting in the top of my rollaway right now.

Will check sometime, possibly tomorrow and will get back to you.

I will not run them until I know. Have read if they are low that oil will get in the wrong place? Does it go back when pressurized to the correct setting?

So 150 is the correct number to shoot for?

I'm not sure on the oil. Maybe someone with more experience will chime in. I was told 150 from another member here and that is what this shop said that they have seen most kings filled to. They mentioned 150 before I even said it to them so I felt even more sure of it.

Tree Frog

Thanks for the info.
Tried my gauge and it was moving real slow going up. So figured something wasn't right.

Found out a buddy from our local club has all the stuff to do it. Both lifts occupied with other customers rigs right now.
Got other problems I am dealing with right now as well.

Top Bottom