JK weight loss clinic

P1TBU11

To you guys that are interested in weight reduction, what have you done to lighten your Jeep?

I don't know what mine originally weighed but I'd be interested to know how it compares to my current set up. I've switched my hard top for a soft top, chopped the front bumper, removed the front air dam, removed the rear bumper (but added Evo D ring mounts), removed the back seat, removed the spare, carrier, and tag mount (but added PS tramp stamp), and added 35s. I had added Rubicon rails too but traded them for Sahara steps.

Thinking about removing the muffler and rear flares. I realize the flares don't weigh much of anything.

Last edited:

P1TBU11

My current wheels/tires are 100.9# each plus whatever the 1.5" spacers weigh. Is that terrible for 35s?

Anybody know what this style of Rubicon wheel/tire weighs? ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1437610482.455401.jpg

Last edited:

JeepFan

Hooked
Great thread! :thumb: This is definitely one of the biggest challenges with a JK. It seems the weight gain begins as soon as you start modding. Not to mention how heavy they get when you pack for a trip. It will be interesting to find out what some folks do to lighten their rigs.

bkac

Caught the Bug
5 gallon bucket as a drives seat along with removing the hood and only running 5 gallons of gas. :)

Actually I could start by going on a diet!

P1TBU11

5 gallon bucket as a drives seat along with removing the hood and only running 5 gallons of gas. :)

Actually I could start by going on a diet!

Good idea, but I'm gonna remove the handle from the bucket first!

I've actually lost 110# in the last year.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
First off, unsprung weight like what you will have with axles and tires/wheels isn't necessarily a bad thing. If anything, they will help keep all 4 on the floor and I wouldn't worry too much about them. Sprung weight is really what you want to cut down and for me, I do this by running factory skid plates, as small of a front bumper as I can get away with, no rear bumper, Rugged Ridge half doors which weight only 14 lbs. a piece and a Trek Top. Even at that, Moby still weighs in at about 7,000 lbs. :shock:

OscarMike2.0

First off, unsprung weight like what you will have with axles and tires/wheels isn't necessarily a bad thing. If anything, they will help keep all 4 on the floor and I wouldn't worry too much about them. Sprung weight is really what you want to cut down and for me, I do this by running factory skid plates, as small of a front bumper as I can get away with, no rear bumper, Rugged Ridge half doors which weight only 14 lbs. a piece and a Trek Top. Even at that, Moby still weighs in at about 7,000 lbs. :shock:

Do you know how much heavier you became when you did the LS swap?

JakeJK

That means your jeep weighs the same as an f250 4x4 crew cab with a 6.7 diesel... That's ridiculous good thing you have an ls

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Do you know how much heavier you became when you did the LS swap?

6.2L LS weighs the same as the 3.8.

What OverlanderJK said, it weighs about the same as a 3.8L but for all intents and purposes, the weight I specified was with the LS.

Wow really? Is it an aluminum block? How about a hemi?

Yup, all aluminum and a HEMI is a LOT heavier.

That means your jeep weighs the same as an f250 4x4 crew cab with a 6.7 diesel... That's ridiculous good thing you have an ls

LOL!! That's one of the reasons WHY we got the LS :yup:

EDIT: I should note that the 7k weight is fully loaded. Of course that's how I wheel so that's what I go off of.

P1TBU11

I'll ride by the scrap metal place and get a current weight if I can remember. Anybody know where I can find out what a stock 12 JK Sport with hard top would weigh?

Thinking I'll add the crash bar to the "to be removed" list.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I'll ride by the scrap metal place and get a current weight if I can remember. Anybody know where I can find out what a stock 12 JK Sport with hard top would weigh?

If I recall, the hard top weighs about 125 lbs.

07JKSahara

Mine is a 2 dr with 35s. Not much else, weighed in at 4100 when I got smogged.

JakeJK

What OverlanderJK said, it weighs about the same as a 3.8L but for all intents and purposes, the weight I specified was with the LS.

Yup, all aluminum and a HEMI is a LOT heavier.

LOL!! That's one of the reasons WHY we got the LS :yup:

EDIT: I should note that the 7k weight is fully loaded. Of course that's how I wheel so that's what I go off of.

Haha my 3.8 wouldn't make it up a 10 degree grade at 5k rpm weighing that much 😂

Top Bottom