Why the 1/4 pounder?

Jmjnewbold

I have been looking around at people's JKs and there seems to be a lot of people with the EVO 1/4 pounder. So my question is, why? I have looked at Lod, Hansen, Poison Spyder, Crawler concept, etc. etc. and still am not sure which to go with. :banghead:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Every single one of the bumpers you mentioned are great bumpers and over the years, we have run several of them. It's just personal taste more than anything. For us, we just like the simplicity of it. The only other bumper I liked just as much is the PUREJEEP Bare Bonez. :yup:

main.php

Spudcannons

I like the 1/4 pounder but it was heavier than I wanted I think they come in around 90+ with stinger. I went with the PSC BFH front bumper because of the weight and E-disco skid. You do wind up chopping of some metal but it helps offset the weight of the new bumper! ;)

Those are all great choices too I had a hell of time deciding. I agree with Eddie the Bare Bones is pretty cool, I may have gone with it if I didn't get a stupid good deal on the BFH locally(over half off from a guy who wasn't willing to trim the steel).

Jmjnewbold

I like the 1/4 pounder but it was heavier than I wanted I think they come in around 90+ with stinger. I went with the PSC BFH front bumper because of the weight and E-disco skid. You do wind up chopping of some metal but it helps offset the weight of the new bumper! ;)

Those are all great choices too I had a hell of time deciding. I agree with Eddie the Bare Bones is pretty cool, I may have gone with it if I didn't get a stupid good deal on the BFH locally(over half off from a guy who wasn't willing to trim the steel).

Removing the crash bar sits uneasy with me as well. I don't even have 5,000 miles on my JK yet and would hate to remove it and void my warranty.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
What do you mean by practical? It requires removal of the crush bar. Which removes it from the true bolt-on category, right?

The lower chin is no crush bar - it's just there to give the air dam something to bolt up to more than anything. Removing it is no big deal and it'll increase your approach angle. That being said, if you get something like the PUREJEEP Bare Bonez bumper, you will not have to remove it, it is very light weight and will do everything you need it to and nothing more. Everything else out there is just fancy metal with laser cut logos in them. :crazyeyes:

Spudcannons

What do you mean by practical? It requires removal of the crush bar. Which removes it from the true bolt-on category, right?

You can go with or without a stinger when ever you want. You have D-ring mounts, good approach angle, clearance. I believe almost all those bumpers require vacuum pump relocation and crash bar removal.

Jmjnewbold

You can go with or without a stinger when ever you want. You have D-ring mounts, good approach angle, clearance. I believe almost all those bumpers require vacuum pump relocation and crash bar removal.

I never gave much thought to being able to remove the stinger. Are there situations where the stinger is a PITA?

Jmjnewbold

The lower chin is no crush bar - it's just there to give the air dam something to bolt up to more than anything. Removing it is no big deal and it'll increase your approach angle. That being said, if you get something like the PUREJEEP Bare Bonez bumper, you will not have to remove it, it is very light weight and will do everything you need it to and nothing more. Everything else out there is just fancy metal with laser cut logos in them. :crazyeyes:

Does cutting off the lower chin mess with the factory warranty?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I never gave much thought to being able to remove the stinger. Are there situations where the stinger is a PITA?

They can be a bit of a pain if you're trying to work your way though really tight trees. Other than that, they're no problem and for the most part, just there for looks.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

Technically, it shouldn't but then, when it comes to warranty work, it's really up to your dealership whether or not anything you do to your Jeep can void it. If you have a good "working" relationship with your dealership (i.e. you get oil changes with them, etc.), you'd most likely be fine.

Spudcannons

I have had mine on for 3 weeks and I rubbed it on tree and hit some trees with it making tight turns. We have some really tight trails here in New England.

JAGS

Hooked

My guess is if you are changing bumpers, you are also doing other work such as suspension or maybe CAI upgrades?? The two later mods will do more to "potentially" void any factory warranties.

Peak

I like it because it allows the winch to sit between the frame rails which allows more airflow. I believe it is also the thickest bumper on the market, 1/4 steel. You have the option of running it without a stinger and adding it later if you'd like.

dillard09

At first I thought the 1/4 was ok. But the more I seen them in person the more I liked them. The simplicity and beffyness of them grew on me. I have/had the Purejeep stubby on mine, but it is currently at ORE getting the 1/4 with stinger put on. Can't wait!
Have you seen the 1/4 pounder in person yet?

Top Bottom