How to setup and shim a hydro assist cylinder

bkac

Caught the Bug
I'm installing hydro assist steering on my JK. My question is do you want the ram to act like the steering stops or do you want the ram to push against the steering stops. I'm going to add some "shims" washers to get the correct length on the throw. I've been told both and want to know what's actually the correct way to keep stress off the ball joints and other steering parts.

Attachments

• 1437681579681.jpg
    1437681579681.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 181

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So that we're all on the same page, your steering gear only has 3 teeth and can only turn so far. Even without steering stops, there's only so far your ram can push as well. It's not like there's an endless amount of pressure it will put out so I wouldn't worry too much about any stress it puts on your ball joints. I would go with what PSC recommends but that's just me.

Rebel JK

If the ram travel is excessively long, I would be more concerned with the tie rod ends. Maybe im missing it here but I would verify tie rod travel lock to lock and shim the ram length to that.

bkac

Caught the Bug
So that we're all on the same page, your steering gear only has 3 teeth and can only turn so far. Even without steering stops, there's only so far your ram can push as well. It's not like there's an endless amount of pressure it will put out so I wouldn't worry too much about any stress it puts on your ball joints. I would go with what PSC recommends but that's just me.

I'm in the same page, I'm shorting the rod travel length. Just wanted to know if I should use the steering stop or the cylinder. I'll go with the steering stops like psc said. Thanks

bkac

Caught the Bug
Yep, exactly. It's 6.25" to the
Tires rubbing the frame. I'll buy longer bolts for the steering stops.

If the ram travel is excessively long, I would be more concerned with the tie rod ends. Maybe im missing it here but I would verify tie rod travel lock to lock and shim the ram length to that.

Synergy

By the way what tierod are you running?

Yep, working in finishing it. Can't wait
You better figure it out soon! We have a quack to conquer!

jeeeep

Hooked
since you have a Synergy tie rod, do you have the TRE low misalignment dust boots?

If not, get them, they will keep the tie rod from flopping too much with the hydro assist - if you don't get the dust boots, you may feel some binding with the hydro assist.

Looks like they're making them out of a rubber compound now so you get a pair for only $10

as mentioned, use the steering stops, I adjusted mine out more to avoid the whine at full turn and to keep the tires from rubbing the brake lines, it's not optimal turning radius but it works.

Last edited:

bkac

Caught the Bug
since you have a Synergy tie rod, do you have the TRE low misalignment dust boots?

If not, get them, they will keep the tie rod from flopping too much with the hydro assist - if you don't get the dust boots, you may feel some binding with the hydro assist.

Looks like they're making them out of a rubber compound now so you get a pair for only $10

as mentioned, use the steering stops, I adjusted mine out more to avoid the whine at full turn and to keep the tires from rubbing the brake lines, it's not optimal turning radius but it works.

Yes, I have the misalignment boots. Looking forward to seeing how it will hold up. Thanks

Top Bottom