Will it fit?!: 13.5" Wide Tires on Stock Wheels with 1.5" Spacers

I've got a 2013 JKU with a 3" lift running the stock wheels with 1.5" spacers. I'll be ready for new tires soon and have been debating betweiin 35's or 37's but assumed I would be sticking with a 12.5" wide tire. Just saw some 37" toyos pop up on craigslist but they are 13.5" wide. I'm assuming they are going to rub. Can anyone confirm?

Thanks!

I've got a 2013 JKU with a 3" lift running the stock wheels with 1.5" spacers. I'll be ready for new tires soon and have been debating betweiin 35's or 37's but assumed I would be sticking with a 12.5" wide tire. Just saw some 37" toyos pop up on craigslist but they are 13.5" wide. I'm assuming they are going to rub. Can anyone confirm?

Thanks!
They will rub. Sway bar, control arms. Maybe more. Im running 12.50 on my factory rims with 1.5" spacers and they rubbed. Had to adjust my steering stops a bit. I may be wrong without double checking the numbers but, with 1.5" on stock wheels, you still are left with 4.75" of back spacing. You need to bee more in the 4"-4.25" neighborhood i would think to be safe

They will rub. Sway bar, control arms. Maybe more. Im running 12.50 on my factory rims with 1.5" spacers and they rubbed. Had to adjust my steering stops a bit. I may be wrong without double checking the numbers but, with 1.5" on stock wheels, you still are left with 4.75" of back spacing. You need to bee more in the 4"-4.25" neighborhood i would think to be safe

That's what I figured. Darn.

Thanks for the response!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
What others here have said. If you really want to run 13.50 wide tires, you really should consider getting wider wheels and ones that have closer to 3.5" of back spacing.

Rccrwlr

We are running 35"x12.5" NTG on stock wheels with 1.5" spacers and a 3" lift (net 3.5") and they don't rub. Biggest issue was getting them installed. As the stock wheels are 1/2" narrower than the tire spec, no one wanted to install them.

BlackHawk08jk

My wheels have 4 inches of backspacing with 35 12.50s and rub if you are articulated and turn sharp. So 13.50 on your wheels will rub. That is also a very narrow wheel for 13.50s I think stock is only 7 or 7.5 inches wide.

Clark Griswold

We are running 35"x12.5" NTG on stock wheels with 1.5" spacers and a 3" lift (net 3.5") and they don't rub. Biggest issue was getting them installed. As the stock wheels are 1/2" narrower than the tire spec, no one wanted to install them.

Where did you get them installed? Are you concerned about them popping off the bead at all, or is it just a concern running at low pressure. I want to get 35 x 12.50 on my stock wheels as well but Tire Rack won't do it.

07JKSahara

Where did you get them installed? Are you concerned about them popping off the bead at all, or is it just a concern running at low pressure. I want to get 35 x 12.50 on my stock wheels as well but Tire Rack won't do it.

I have the same as Rc. Here's a screenshot of a video. Check the driver rear tire. Didn't lose the bead. Not saying it can't happen, but it will hold better than you think.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1437848631.319429.jpg .

Edit: that was at 8 or 9 psi.

Clark Griswold

Sorry to kind of steal the thread a bit but thanks for the replies guys. I really like my stock rims so I guess I'll just buy the tires when it's time and dig until I find someone to mount them. My 33" BFG AT's have about 34k miles on them and look like they could go that much more yet. Definitely sticking with them when going to 35's.

Kumar

Big chain tire shops usually won't mount tires not approved for the rim width. I just had my mounted and balanced at a local off-road/4x4 shop. It actually came out cheaper than what other tire shops wanted to mount and balance.

Thanks for all the responses!

A 13.5" wide tire will be way to wide for the stock wheel as well.

I realized that after I posted as well.

What others here have said. If you really want to run 13.50 wide tires, you really should consider getting wider wheels and ones that have closer to 3.5" of back spacing.

I considered making the case to get new wheels, but I just don't think it's in the budget. For now, I'm just going to have to plan on running a 12.50 tire.

My wheels have 4 inches of backspacing with 35 12.50s and rub if you are articulated and turn sharp. So 13.50 on your wheels will rub. That is also a very narrow wheel for 13.50s I think stock is only 7 or 7.5 inches wide.

Duly noted. Thanks!

Hey all, I know this is an old thread, but didn't want to start a new one. Does any one know if a 315/70/17 tire will fit on the stock 17" Rubicon rims?

Top Bottom