A good Mechanics Tool Set?

trailless

Caught the Bug
I had a basic 300 piece tool set from Home Depot but someone stole it... :mad:

Anyways, I'm trying to get another tool set with a tool box. Anybody have any recommendations? I'm looking to stay under $400.

Thanks! :beer:

Rox Star

Got this last month!! Almost all you need in one box for shop or trail.

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-153p...0939153000P?prdNo=22&blockNo=22&blockType=G22

Didn't get the chrome style? This set is awesome for the basics. Doesn't have a bunch of tools you'll never use. But, you'll still need to get a bag for the wrenches/sockets you need that are not in the set, as well as BFH, plyers, etc.

Wouldn't it be great if there was a list of tools a Stock Jeep needed? Then you could carry what you needed. Add the tools you needed for lift installs, armour, etc and you'd be set.

RjSkippy

Didn't get the chrome style? This set is awesome for the basics. Doesn't have a bunch of tools you'll never use. But, you'll still need to get a bag for the wrenches/sockets you need that are not in the set, as well as BFH, plyers, etc.

Wouldn't it be great if there was a list of tools a Stock Jeep needed? Then you could carry what you needed. Add the tools you needed for lift installs, armour, etc and you'd be set.

I have a similar Craftsman Mechanics set and it's great but there are some missing things you will need. You will have to buy at least an 11 mm and 16 mm wrench separately as my set is lacking those and it seems like most are. Highly recommend the racheting box wrenches (Added a few Husky ones from Home Cheapo and they work well)!

Paws

And. If you wait until the holidays or Black Friday, you can get slamming deals from Sears. I usually splurge on this day and get a few good deals. Last time I got a compressor, 135 piece wrench set, air tools, and jacks and jacks stands and saved over 500 when calculating original prices.

Will do the same this year more than likely.

Cheers!

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
Bluepoint has some good sets also, plus it's a "cheaper" form of Snap-On that still carries a good warranty and doesn't cost as much.

I've had craftsman stuff (still do as I don't want to just throw it away) and they have denied replacing stuff under warranty saying it isn't covered. Most of their stuff is still decent though. Just something to think about.

I also have some Kobalt stuff that stays in the jeep. Not had an issue yet but who knows.

The home tool box is 90 percent Snap-On from when I worked at a stealership. Most of those don't leave the shop and pretty much never get loaned out. Too much invested to have people loose stuff or mess it up for me to try and get it fixed.

GregMort13

Caught the Bug
I just recently moved out into my own apartment and wanted my own set. Believe it or not you can get some slamming deal on craigslist for lightly used tools. I bought a whole box. Complete wrench sets, sockets 1/4 3/8 and 1/2 drives. Torque wrench, Hammers, saws, etc. the guy even gave me a cordless dewalt drill and sawzall. Its was an awesome set and i gave him 350. Really good deal if you ask me

Hot94Z28

You can never have too many tools. I have a lot of Snap-On stuff and MAC, but the sets I grab is my SK socket sets I really like them and have used them for years.

holliewood61

I keep one of the 153 piece craftsman sets in my jeep at all times. One because I won it at the company pic nic a couple yrs ago so it was free. Two because I dont like the thought of having my snap-on, mac, or matco tools easily accessible to thieving bastards. When we go on a trail ride ill throw in an assortment of pry bars, hammers, screw drivers, pliers, a 1/2", and 3/8" flex head ratchet. I also take a spool of wire and some bullet connectors.

bigbootysuperduty

Another vote for craftsman. There are Sears stores everywhere if you need to replace anything. I haven't broken many craftsman tool either.

toxicwaste29

I bought a new craftsman 250 piece set last year. Craftsman hand tools are now all made overseas and the new stuff is junk in terms of reliability and ruggedness. I would personally try looking for an old craftsman set that is used and everything is stamped USA.

Spudcannons

I agree, if you want a cheap set from overseas go home depot. I have had good luck with their stuff for 3 years, bent one wrench they gave me a new set free in store no questions asked so braking stuff is not a big deal. Lifetime warranty too.

JakeJK

I bought a new craftsman 250 piece set last year. Craftsman hand tools are now all made overseas and the new stuff is junk in terms of reliability and ruggedness. I would personally try looking for an old craftsman set that is used and everything is stamped USA.

Yeah but they have lifetime warranties I believe I know the wrenches do

JakeJK

I agree, if you want a cheap set from overseas go home depot. I have had good luck with their stuff for 3 years, bent one wrench they gave me a new set free in store no questions asked so braking stuff is not a big deal. Lifetime warranty too.

Exactly why it's worth it haha break a tool get a new one no questions asked

JakeJK

Did you have any problems with craftsman or you just dislike overseas produces tools?

By the way there's a good chance your wrangler was made in Toledo :D

HoosierWolf

I recall Costco having a really good deal on a USA made Craftsman set. Not sure if they still do. I would have bought one myself but I just won a set of tools from my work.

toxicwaste29

Yeah but they have lifetime warranties I believe I know the wrenches do

There are other tools makes out there that are cheaper than craftsman and have lifetime warranty also. Hell just get a harbor freight set if you want lifetime warranty.

Top Bottom