Regearing and locker advice please

Jeep2010

So this Wednesday coming up I'll be getting my D44 front axle in with 4.88 gearing and ARB lockers front and rear. I know I have to cool the new ring and pinion off after driving to "warm them up" but I was never explained how or why? Any explanation out there? And also I've never had lockers before, what should I expect with them? Any advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Linebacker

Caught the Bug
Like a new engine, the ring and pinion need to get acquainted with each other and learn to operate under heavy load without excessive friction and gear killing heat. Even though the gears are finely machined at the factory, if you look at them through a microscope you'll see they have lots of sharp surfaces. The first 500 or so miles wears them in and eventually these gear surfaces become fairly smooth. If you consider your gear break in like a new engine you'll be just fine. New gear oil around 500-1,00mi will seal the deal. Lockers should be used sparingly, mostly in rocks or where you're losing traction when one or more wheels are off the ground. If you can get by using only the rears, chose that route. When you lock up the fronts, which you have to do sometimes, steering accuracy is more difficult. For that reason it's generally not a good idea to use lockers in snow. After you break in the gears take it out and on a trail you know and practice. Good luck.:twocents:

Last edited:

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
So this Wednesday coming up I'll be getting my D44 front axle in with 4.88 gearing and ARB lockers front and rear. I know I have to cool the new ring and pinion off after driving to "warm them up" but I was never explained how or why? Any explanation out there? And also I've never had lockers before, what should I expect with them? Any advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Basically what you are doing is heat treating the gears. You have to do 5 heat cycles of about 20 miles. After you do the 20ish miles let the axles cool down for a few hours before you do another 20. Do NOT accelerate fast during this time. After the 5 cycles you can start to drive somewhat normal again and go as far as you like. At around 500 miles get your diff fluids changed and you good to go.

As for the lockers they will not effect anything. Since you have a selectable locker it will feel like your driving with open lockers again.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
These guys have covered the topic well but I'd also like to note that most of what you'll be concerning yourself with during break in is the rear axle. While your front ring and pinion will being moving as well, there won't be any real load on it (unless you're in 4WD) and you'll feel very little heat coming off of it or at least, compared to the rear which should be almost too hot to touch.

Jeep2010

Basically what you are doing is heat treating the gears. You have to do 5 heat cycles of about 20 miles. After you do the 20ish miles let the axles cool down for a few hours before you do another 20. Do NOT accelerate fast during this time. After the 5 cycles you can start to drive somewhat normal again and go as far as you like. At around 500 miles get your diff fluids changed and you good to go.

As for the lockers they will not effect anything. Since you have a selectable locker it will feel like your driving with open lockers again.

Here is a problem I have, and maybe it isn't but my drive to work is 55-60 miles. Should I not go that far without letting it cool down first?

Jeep2010

Or should I just do it at night before I leave for work so that way I won't have to deal with the distance? I'm sorry if these are dumb questions I just want to make sure I do things right the first time.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Here is a problem I have, and maybe it isn't but my drive to work is 55-60 miles. Should I not go that far without letting it cool down first?

Ugh it's pushing it going that far but at the same time it's something I had to do when I got mine done. The place for me was 2 hours from home so I had to drive 50 miles to get half way. Since it will be to and from work you can do it since it will have all day to cool down but it really isn't recommended

Jeep2010

Ugh it's pushing it going that far but at the same time it's something I had to do when I got mine done. The place for me was 2 hours from home so I had to drive 50 miles to get half way. Since it will be to and from work you can do it since it will have all day to cool down but it really isn't recommended

You think I should do it that night instead? Just drive around town until I get the 5 reps for them in?

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
You think I should do it that night instead? Just drive around town until I get the 5 reps for them in?

Yea that would be best. I know I worked from home for a week and did it on my lunch break and after dinner.

DMF

When I got my gears and locker put in, Drew over at ORE said they get customers all the time from out of state and have to drive back with new gears. Just be gentle on the throttle and keep it at 65 and you should be fine. Those were the advice I followed and so far everything is working fine.

***edit***
I don't mean it's ok to be careless or anything. What I got from ORE was they are not as fragile as people say. They won't explode on you if you don't exactly follow the break in.

Last edited:

Jeep2010

When I got my gears and locker put in, Drew over at ORE said they get customers all the time from out of state and have to drive back with new gears. Just be gentle on the throttle and keep it at 65 and you should be fine. Those were the advice I followed and so far everything is working fine.

***edit***
I don't mean it's ok to be careless or anything. What I got from ORE was they are not as fragile as people say. They won't explode on you if you don't exactly follow the break in.

Yeah I get what you mean. I'm just making sure I know what to do. I have an wheeling trip next week as well and I think I'll have time to break them in but wanted to see.

DMF

Yeah I get what you mean. I'm just making sure I know what to do. I have an wheeling trip next week as well and I think I'll have time to break them in but wanted to see.

That was one thing I was careful with. I made sure to change the gear oil and was well over 500 (1k miles in my case) before I went on any trail.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door

Might be pushing it wheeling that soon but you can do it. I knew I waited till I had 1k miles on my gears before I even thought of wheeling and using my locker

Jeep2010

Might be pushing it wheeling that soon but you can do it. I knew I waited till I had 1k miles on my gears before I even thought of wheeling and using my locker

If I drive my normal schedule is have close to 350 miles on it before hand. And then I thought I'd wait a couple days after that to change oil in the diff.

IF you have good parts and a reputable shop, go ahead and drive it normally. Assuming ambient temps are around 60-90 degr F., you should be fine. Just make a stop after 10-20 miles, lick your fingers and touch the top of the housing just above the outer pinion bearing. If it sizzles let it cool down and repeat the test in another 10-20 miles. Don't be surprised if it's very hot and your spit evaps right away. Not uncommon for a new gear job to get up to 230-260F out of the gate.

If the heat does not start to abate after 100 miles, maybe have the shop take a look at it. Note-the rear will usually always be too hot to hold onto. As long as your spit doesn't sizzle or the paint isn't burning, it should be fine.

Top Bottom