Driveline vibes

Got to get some input from you all. I hear all the time on here that if you have too much caster, you will get driveline vibes, especially after you add an aftermarket front shaft. I just put in a front Coast, and my caster last i checked i think was 6*. I havent experienced any vibes yet, drives great like it always has. I havent had it over about 65mph tho. Is this something that happens only at certain speeds? Or only in 4wd? Or would i have felt it by now if i was going to have any problems? I was fully expecting to have to dial my caster back closer to 4*....

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
More caster alone will not necessarily cause vibrations. Running a high ratio gear like a 5.13 or 5.38 + a high caster angle WILL especially at higher speeds. If you're just running factory gears or a ratio in the 4's, you should be okay to run 6 deg or at least, for a while. Personally, I love the feel more positive caster provides but running 4 deg will help ensure you will not get vibes. Of course, vibes can and will lead to transfer case housing failure.

More caster alone will not necessarily cause vibrations. Running a high ratio gear like a 5.13 or 5.38 + a high caster angle WILL especially at higher speeds. If you're just running factory gears or a ratio in the 4's, you should be okay to run 6 deg or at least, for a while. Personally, I love the feel more positive caster provides but running 4 deg will help ensure you will not get vibes. Of course, vibes can and will lead to transfer case housing failure.
Good info Eddie thanks. I love the way mine handles right now, so i didnt wanna change it anymore than i needed to. Yea im still running factory gearing and will more than likely go to 4.88 so i guess ill see if it is enough to cause problems then...

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Good info Eddie thanks. I love the way mine handles right now, so i didnt wanna change it anymore than i needed to. Yea im still running factory gearing and will more than likely go to 4.88 so i guess ill see if it is enough to cause problems then...

Yeah, with factory gears, you won't notice much if any vibrations as your drive shaft simply won't be spinning fast enough. At 4.88, any slight imperfection in the balance will reveal itself and if I could guess, you'll want to lower your caster at that time. Anything higher and you would most likely not have a choice in the matter.

Yeah, with factory gears, you won't notice much if any vibrations as your drive shaft simply won't be spinning fast enough. At 4.88, any slight imperfection in the balance will reveal itself and if I could guess, you'll want to lower your caster at that time. Anything higher and you would most likely not have a choice in the matter.
Im with ya. Ive got to get it on the interstate and verify. I was forgetting the missing puzzle piece, being the gear ratio. Glad you pointed that out.

JakeJK

How would one describe these vibrations? Mine vibrates while going backwards up a hill with little gas but that may just be the lack of the 3.8 power and 3.21 gear ratio, I know it's not relevant I just didn't see another thread related

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
How would one describe these vibrations? Mine vibrates while going backwards up a hill with little gas but that may just be the lack of the 3.8 power and 3.21 gear ratio, I know it's not relevant I just didn't see another thread related

The vibrations you would feel and hear are typically something you would experience at highway speeds and it would oscillate. You can kind of feel it in the seat of your pants. I seriously doubt you have vibes if you only feel it in reverse and especially with 3.21 gears.

JakeJK

The vibrations you would feel and hear are typically something you would experience at highway speeds and it would oscillate. You can kind of feel it in the seat of your pants. I seriously doubt you have vibes if you only feel it in reverse and especially with 3.21 gears.

Yeah that's what I figured haha just was wondering thanks for the reply though

Top Bottom