Question for all the West Texas Wayalifers

wyorubi

I am wondering how all of you West Texas Wayalifers like living there. I have an opportunity to take a job transfer from Wyoming to Kermit, Texas and I would like to get some info about the area from you guys (schools, crime, recreation etc). Any info you guys could give would be much appreciated.

Benito

Caught the Bug
I am wondering how all of you West Texas Wayalifers like living there. I have an opportunity to take a job transfer from Wyoming to Kermit, Texas and I would like to get some info about the area from you guys (schools, crime, recreation etc). Any info you guys could give would be much appreciated.

I'm living in Big Spring right now (120mi east of Kermit) I don't plan on staying here very long, just trying to gain experience, first job out of Uni. Crime isn't bad here in big spring, I've heard differently about Odessa (60mi east of Kermit). As far as rec, there are some sand hills, monahans, and plenty of open space to go mudding when it rains and your into that, but for the most part if you want to do some wheeling you have to travel more than 60 miles for the most part. There is a great group out here that organizes trips and meet-n-greets for off roaders.

keno4x4

One of the groups is West Texas Crawlers, which I am a member of. And they plan wheeling trips once a month. Some are local, 1-2 hours drive, others are longer drives, 5-7 hrs. Kermit is good for schools and low crime. But as was said get to Odessa the crime goes up. Most of the bigger name stores, restaurants, and entertainment are in Odessa or Midland. Summers are hot, 2nd week in the100"s with another week or two coming. Great people & towns. Look us up if you decide to come down.

wyorubi

Thanks for the replys. I will be able to live within a 70 mile radius of Kermit, my wife and I are from small towns in North Dakota so small town living is kind of our thing. We have been looking at towns around Kermit and Midland( I think Midland is 60 some miles from Kermit). That West Texas Crawlers club looks like a damn good club.

jeeeep

Hooked
Texas is hot, humid, flat and flat.

Seems like everywhere you go it's a drive lol.

what do you enjoy doing for recreation?

wyorubi

My family and I love pretty much anything outdoors. Both my wife and I love to hunt, fish, camp, hike and take our jeeps out.
c2.jpg

I have not taken the transfer yet as I want to gather all the info possible on texas. I fear that I may miss Wyoming to much as I am pretty sure there is no elk hunting in texas and playing in the mountains is to much damn fun. What I wont miss is the snow and below 0 temps in the winter.

Benito

Caught the Bug

It's hot and flat, definitely not humid out here in west Texas, we have the nice dry heat!

USMC Wrangler

My family and I love pretty much anything outdoors. Both my wife and I love to hunt, fish, camp, hike and take our jeeps out.
View attachment 155897

I have not taken the transfer yet as I want to gather all the info possible on texas. I fear that I may miss Wyoming to much as I am pretty sure there is no elk hunting in texas and playing in the mountains is to much damn fun. What I wont miss is the snow and below 0 temps in the winter.

Oh, there's elk hunting in west Texas, but from what I hear you pay a lot just to access the private lands to hunt them. That is, unless you know someone that knows someone.

wyorubi

How's the mule deer hunting in west texas I know central spits out some nice whitetails. Also wouldn't mind going after some of those texan wild hogs

BertaNation

I am originally from wink tx about 10 miles west of kermit. Wink is a great town imo if u are a small town kind of person. Good school. Everyone knows everyone. High school sports is a big part of the community.
west tx summers are hot and dry. Winters are mild
Not a lot of out outdoor activities unless u travel a couple hrs. Bigger cities odessa and midland are about an hr drive.

wyorubi

The small community is what we like. As of now I have to drive about 1.5 hours to get into the mountains or the blackhills to have some fun. So far I'm liking what I hear about it. I really like the passion for football that texas has my wife and I are huge football fans.

Top Bottom