Brakes hanging up

mstraw9379

On separate occasions I have had two brake calipers not release when they should and keep the brake pads tight to the rotor.
The first time it occurred, about a year ago on the rear driver side, I replaced the caliper. Hasn't done it since.
Today I noticed it was driving a little sluggish. Sure enough the front driver side wheel was very hot. The front one is hanging up now.
Is this common? Should I just replace the remaining three now?

jeeeep

Hooked
On separate occasions I have had two brake calipers not release when they should and keep the brake pads tight to the rotor.
The first time it occurred, about a year ago on the rear driver side, I replaced the caliper. Hasn't done it since.
Today I noticed it was driving a little sluggish. Sure enough the front driver side wheel was very hot. The front one is hanging up now.
Is this common? Should I just replace the remaining three now?

looks like you live in a state where they use salt in the winter so yes, it's a common issue.

One thing I did when I lived in a winter/salt use state, after winter I would always check the caliper pistons for crud/rust build up and clean it off. didn't take long to do and I never had to replace calipers like my friends did.

check your calipers and the pistons, you may be able to clean them up and just rebuild them with a piston and seal kit, you can usually do all 4 for the price of a new caliper. they are not difficult to clean and rebuild. If it's just crud build up on the outer edge of the piston you may get lucky and that's all they'll need to work again.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
looks like you live in a state where they use salt in the winter so yes, it's a common issue.

One thing I did when I lived in a winter/salt use state, after winter I would always check the caliper pistons for crud/rust build up and clean it off. didn't take long to do and I never had to replace calipers like my friends did.

check your calipers and the pistons, you may be able to clean them up and just rebuild them with a piston and seal kit, you can usually do all 4 for the price of a new caliper. they are not difficult to clean and rebuild. If it's just crud build up on the outer edge of the piston you may get lucky and that's all they'll need to work again.

This.......

mstraw9379

Is this an issue with Jeeps. I've lived in road salting states most of my life. Currently in NJ and I think they use sand or some kind of grit. Never had it happen with any other type of vehicle.
Will still check it out though, see if there is anything built up in there.

jeeeep

Hooked
Is this an issue with Jeeps. I've lived in road salting states most of my life. Currently in NJ and I think they use sand or some kind of grit. Never had it happen with any other type of vehicle.
Will still check it out though, see if there is anything built up in there.

it's an issue with all vehicles in winter states, some areas seems to use a mixture of salt and other stuff that seems to cause faster corrosion but over time it takes its toll if not kept clean.

mstraw9379

Still having issues with brakes. Replace rear calipers and rotors. Front rotors replaced. Brake pads all around replace. Still getting random hangups with brakes. I'm out of ideas.
Happening during summer conditions. Not due to salt or grit spread on the roads.

sipafz

Caught the Bug
Still having issues with brakes. Replace rear calipers and rotors. Front rotors replaced. Brake pads all around replace. Still getting random hangups with brakes. I'm out of ideas.
Happening during summer conditions. Not due to salt or grit spread on the roads.

Did you lubricate the caliper slide pins, pad tabs and guides (clips) like mentioned? I use never seize, but some hear will argue for moly grease which would be my second choice. Just don't get any grease on the braking surface of the pad!

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
You check your front calipers? I just replaced both of mine because my passenger side seized up completely

Sullivan

Mine always seize up. Especially after a wheeling trip. Slides need anti seize. But mine will be getting Dynatrac upgrade VERY soon

mstraw9379

Yes. Everything gets lubricated when brakes are replaced. I replaced one of the rear calipers, less than 6 months later the same one was seizing. Replaced everything on the rear (rotors, both calipers, brake pads). Front seized this time (not the first time for the front, but the worst it's done it so far). Brakes and rotors on front were replaced in late February. Getting frustrated. Going to replace both front calipers and most likely rotors again.

sipafz

Caught the Bug
Yes. Everything gets lubricated when brakes are replaced. I replaced one of the rear calipers, less than 6 months later the same one was seizing. Replaced everything on the rear (rotors, both calipers, brake pads). Front seized this time (not the first time for the front, but the worst it's done it so far). Brakes and rotors on front were replaced in late February. Getting frustrated. Going to replace both front calipers and most likely rotors again.

Have you been doing the work yourself and can you verify that the pins and slides have lube? Assuming that the answer is yes and it sounds like everything is working good with the rears, I would follow your plan and replace or rebuild the fronts. I personally don't buy remanufactured calipers because I believe that the quality is inferior and prefer to rebuild the OEM's. Another option would be to upgrade to the Dynatrac's like someone mentioned. It's not normal to have the problems that you describe, is it possible that your fluid is contaminated? Unlikely I'm sure.

Heavyhaul07

Please don't use antisieze on brake parts. It gums up with the heat the brakes produce and causes issues You a brake specific grease. Clean and lube the pins replace the anti rattle clips each time you replace pads. And lube the pads where the mount and ride on the caliper mounts.

Siebermd

I have had to replace both front calipers. Nice thing about a manual transmission, you can easily detect a brake issue.

robx251

Caught the Bug
Please don't use antisieze on brake parts. It gums up with the heat the brakes produce and causes issues You a brake specific grease. Clean and lube the pins replace the anti rattle clips each time you replace pads. And lube the pads where the mount and ride on the caliper mounts.

I absolutely second this. Use the right lube. Do not use the silver or copper antisieze compound

mstraw9379

I finished replacing front calipers and brake pads this morning. Lubed everything g that should be lubed. Checked the slides on the new calipers, they were already lubricated.
Will see what happens now.
Didn't have any indications of rotors being warped when I tested everything out.

rinkishjk

This! U want to use black moly lube.

Top Bottom