Problem

Krystianjk

Is it possible for one of my winch cables being the cause of my AC and nav turning off randomly? Here's an attached pic of the winch cable ripped up by the fan? ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1437958149.485628.jpg

jeepgreenjon

Unhook the winch cables from the power source and see if the problems go away

x2 on this. I have seen a dead short on a winch circuit cause some really weird stuff including intermittent stalling, wiper and radio problems on an older TJ that came into our shop. Because a winch draws so many amps to run if the main wire even is fused it can take a pretty huge dead short to actually blow the fuse, otherwise anything electrical on your Jeep can be affected being everything is essentially grounded to the frame.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Umm you should disconnect the winch from the power before even turning your jeep on. That wire could cause a fire in no time. Not safe!

jeepgreenjon

Umm you should disconnect the winch from the power before even turning your jeep on. That wire could cause a fire in no time. Not safe!

Correct me if Im wrong but most main cables on the winch are direct to the battery, that being said it could burn the Jeep to the ground sitting there with the ignition off. I agree tho disconnect it asap, will likely fix your issues.

Edit: Also maybe obvious but after repairing the wire I would highly recommend rerouting the wire to a better location...

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
And should I replace the cable or will some tape fix up the wire?

Yes. Completely replace it.

This same thing happened to a member on the rubicon a couple years ago and it started arcing while we were driving down the granite bowls. Luckily him and myself heard it and caught it in time before anything bad happened.

Top Bottom