Settling with my Dana 30 am I crazy?

Jtmw

So after a lot of thought and looking at my budget. I think I'm just going to regear my gusset'd and EVO CO tabbed D30 and wheel it and maybe throw some new shafts at it or something down the road.

Not interested in D44 due to the tube size being the same. Seeing that I'm only going to 4.88 I dont see the real immediate benefit in the larger R&P.
Not interested in my One Ton/ Aftermarket 44 Idea at the moment because I'd being spending a lot more money than I'd like to.

Am I crazy?

RoughRider

So I have a question I'm running 35s on stock Dana 30 and 44 with 3.21 and I'm pretty broke... So should I just regear? If so to what gears?

JK LYF

So I have a question I'm running 35s on stock Dana 30 and 44 with 3.21 and I'm pretty broke... So should I just regear? If so to what gears?

You will get many opinions. And none will be wrong. I went back and forth as to what gearing I should put in. I settled with 4.88 and have been pleased. No issues yet. Handles highway much better than the 3.73s. Took it out wheeling a couple times and it performed well. I've been told the 5.13 R&P will be quite small in the 30. That was one factor as to why I went 4.88. Glad I did. I think u will be good with 4.88 as well.

2Cross

Caught the Bug
Depends on what you plan to do with your rig.

If it's a DailyDriver you will be fine.

If you want to tackle some tough trails you had better have backup parts, time, tools and patience when you have a break.

JK LYF

I believe it's reasonable! And as 2cross said, if something breaks have spare parts and be patient.

I don't consider my wheeling hard core at all. The toughest trail I've been on was John Bull. I know something can break and I'm good with that. When it breaks I'll fix it.

DMF

So after a lot of thought and looking at my budget. I think I'm just going to regear my gusset'd and EVO CO tabbed D30 and wheel it and maybe throw some new shafts at it or something down the road.

Not interested in D44 due to the tube size being the same. Seeing that I'm only going to 4.88 I dont see the real immediate benefit in the larger R&P.
Not interested in my One Ton/ Aftermarket 44 Idea at the moment because I'd being spending a lot more money than I'd like to.

Am I crazy?

I hope I'm not crazy either because I have that set up you are wanting to do and not planning on upgrading to a 44. I know this sounds cheesy but I have a great spotter that always helps me get through difficult obstacles making it feel easy.

4.88 and yes you should. I had 3.21 gears on 33" tires. Which was liveable but when I regear and went to 35", it was like putting the Jeep on a major diet.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass

Depends what your ultimate goal and timeline is. If you plan to run 37's in the near future your gear ratio will probably be different for that then it is for 35's. If you plan to upgrade to a PR44 or aftermarket front axle make sure you get what you want so you don't have to pay for the same thing twice.

I have 5.13's with 35's currently in my D30 and while my pinion is small in the front and my RPM's are higher it will save me hassle when I upgrade to 37's and a PR44 in the near future.

metalic

Depends what your ultimate goal and timeline is. If you plan to run 37's in the near future your gear ratio will probably be different for that then it is for 35's. If you plan to upgrade to a PR44 or aftermarket front axle make sure you get what you want so you don't have to pay for the same thing twice.

I have 5.13's with 35's currently in my D30 and while my pinion is small in the front and my RPM's are higher it will save me hassle when I upgrade to 37's and a PR44 in the near future.

I have 5:13's on 35's and love them
When I ordered my 44 axle I went with those knowing my end goal is 37's. I hope I don't miss the gearing when I switch to 37's

A.J.

I have 5.13 and 37's on a D30. So far so good. Qualifier is my wheeling is mostly old fire roads and skid trails. Also my " watch this" moments are pretty much in the past. I am crossing my fingers hoping that with a caravan engine and auto trans. I will get away with it for awhile. Pinion is tiny for sure. Meanwhile I am stashing away fun coupons for pr44 or bigger in the future. I am having ALOT of fun along the way and learning as I go which for me is what matters the most! 😎

Jk909

How long have you been running your rig with 35's? Just curious because if you haven't managed to break yours I don't think I will.

Dean454

I'm sure Eddie and others will back me up on this when I say you are fooling yourselves into thinking you are fine with a D30. You are not unless you spend all of your time in the pavement. If you intend to do any serious wheeling you will explode that little axel. I'm sorry if this is not what you wish to be told but it's the truth. How do I know? I exploded mine with gussets and sleeves.

Peak

Also Dana 30's are cheap, if you never plan on upgrading to a larger axle and you break something major you can come across a whole axle for under $500 on Craigslist sometimes and just put your pinion in the new one.

JK LYF

I wheel a stock dana 30, didnt think polishing a terd was worth it. Im a server at a restaurant, go to school full time, and have 2 kids so money is always tight. I like hunting for the deals and dont mind waiting to upgrade until i have that deal in place.

I bought a bare 44 housing for 200. Arb air locker and 488 gears for 500. Then moly shafts for 500.

If anything breaks on the 44 ill upgrade to an upgraded housing. I like the pr44 but i rarely ever find those for a good deal.

Its your money and if you could live with an open but geared 30 go for it. Ive had one trail in soutbern nevada i havent been able to do on my posi dana 30 with 35s and a 3in lift. Granted spotters and lines are a big help.

Sum it up. Deals are out there if you wait, and if you dont think you will do crazy wheeling gear the 30 and have tons of fun. Thats what jeeping is all about.

Well said!

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Overlander,
Has your front axle been upgraded any with gussets or shafts? Just curious, I've seen some of the video's/pictures of your jeep climbing and I'm impressed.

I have C gussets but not else. I just replaced a factory axle shaft the other day that had a missing u joint cap. That's the only issue I've had.

Top Bottom