JE Reel Drive Shaft splines showing...

dagdag

I installed an new rear drive shaft today. At ride height, the splines are showing. Is that normal?

Attachments

• 1437967506632.jpg
    1437967506632.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 220

bkac

Caught the Bug
That seems a little much for ride height. I'm sure it's ok because their splines are long. I know mine isn't like that.

Last edited:

dagdag

I just spoke to a guy at J.E. Reel...He said the splines should not be showing. We agreed the problem is most likely caused by my wheelbase being longer than factory. My options are: have a custom drive shaft made or adjust the control arms to shorten the wheelbase...

bkac

Caught the Bug
I just spoke to a guy at J.E. Reel...He said the splines should not be showing. We agreed the problem is most likely caused by my wheelbase being longer than factory. My options are: have a custom drive shaft made or adjust the control arms to shorten the wheelbase...

That's what I was thinking. The grease can't really stay in and dry that way. I don't think you run the risk of the drive shaft pulling apart but in long term do have a problem

Interesting - mine are showing about the same (only in front) and when I inquired I was told it is fine. hmmmm :thinking:

EDIT: I just went and looked and they are not showing but right at the edge - they were showing with my old lift which maybe yielded more then 4 inches. I apologize for putting out some bad info.

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

Are you running a stretch kit or did you just set your control arms too long on purpose thinking it would be helpful?

dagdag

I just measured. I'm 3/4 of an inch over the factory wheelbase. I didn't stretch it on purpose...it's my first lift kit install. That's my only excuse lol.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I just measured. I'm 3/4 of an inch over the factory wheelbase. I didn't stretch it on purpose...it's my first lift kit install. That's my only excuse lol.

LOL!! Yeah, that's WAY TOO LONG even if you have 4" of lift. I would shorten your lower arms to something more reasonable like 1/8" longer than stock and then adjust your uppers as needed to set your pinion angle.

dagdag

LOL!! Yeah, that's WAY TOO LONG even if you have 4" of lift. I would shorten your lower arms to something more reasonable like 1/8" longer than stock and then adjust your uppers as needed to set your pinion angle.

Will do. I just have to fix my brothers hydraulic lift first. One if the cylinders is pissing fluid.

Top Bottom