Tie rod

metalic

I went on a wheeling trip a week ago and my steering wheel is off centered now. I did some looking and can see where it touch my diff cover and looks like it's slightly bent inward now. What is a good replacement? I looked at the Currie but that hurts the wallet thinking about it. Is it worth it?
h

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Just adjust your toe back to where it needs to be and call it a day. No need to spend any money if you don't really need to. IF and when you really do need a replacement, YES, it's totally worth it.

Spudcannons

I went on a wheeling trip a week ago and my steering wheel is off centered now. I did some looking and can see where it touch my diff cover and looks like it's slightly bent inward now. What is a good replacement? I looked at the Currie but that hurts the wallet thinking about it. Is it worth it?
h

What eddie said, or get a synergy if your's is frozen. The currie is great but 3x the price of anything else... you could get the tie rod drag link and save the 100 left for dynatrac ball joints.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
What eddie said, or get a synergy if your's is frozen. The currie is great but 3x the price of anything else... you could get the tie rod drag link and save the 100 left for dynatrac ball joints.

LOL!! You bought ProRocks right? Why didn't you just get a TeraFlex axle? It's cheaper, right? :idontknow:

My point is, if you're gonna upgrade to anything, I personally prefer to upgrade to what I know is the BEST and NOT something that's just cheaper. Otherwise, I'm perfectly happy running what I have until it won't do the job anymore. It IS the reason why I ran a factory tie-rod on both Moby and Rubicat as long as I had. Of course, that's just me.

Spudcannons

LOL!! You bought ProRocks right? Why didn't you just get a TeraFlex axle? It's cheaper, right? :idontknow:

My point is, if you're gonna upgrade to anything, I personally prefer to upgrade to what I know is the BEST and NOT something that's just cheaper. Otherwise, I'm perfectly happy running what I have until it won't do the job anymore. It IS the reason why I ran a factory tie-rod on both Moby and Rubicat as long as I had. Of course, that's just me.

Synergy makes quality products in the US and has great customer support. They may be cheaper than the Currie part but not worse. Is'nt that why the engine in moby was used and not a brand new custom LS?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Synergy makes quality products in the US and has great customer support.

Sorry, not all their products are made in the U.S. But, if you're happy with what you're buying from them and like their customer service, more power to you.

They may be cheaper than the Currie part but not worse.

That is just your opinion. But, you are entitled to it.

Is'nt that why the engine in moby was used and not a brand new custom LS?

LOL!! I'd hardly call buying a quality "salvaged" motor the same thing as buying a "cheaper" part but hey, you're welcome to see things however you want. :)

mackey

h

After bending my stock tie rod on my previous JK I champed up and got the Currie. The thing was a beast. I'd highly recommend it. I've talked to other guys who have bought 2 & 3 tie rods and kept bending them. They could have done it right the first time and not have the worries and hassles of keep bending and replacing tie rods multiple times.

Spudcannons

Sorry, not all their products are made in the U.S. But, if you're happy with what you're buying from them and like their customer service, more power to you.

That is just your opinion. But, you are entitled to it.

LOL!! I'd hardly call buying a quality "salvaged" motor the same thing as buying a "cheaper" part but hey, you're welcome to see things however you want. :)

A salvage motor is not "the best" as you stated earlier. Only nit picking but it is not "top of the line". I would also like to see some info on why synergy steering components are inferior(like you always say where's the proof?) I have not seem any negative feed back, only positive recommendations from local shops who sell both parts and would make more money selling me the Currie. IF there is proof I will toss my synergy tie rod and buy a Currie and tell you you I screwed up.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
A salvage motor is not "the best" as you stated earlier. Only nit picking but it is not "top of the line".

LOL!! I suppose you would consider a brand new Teraflex axle to be better than a used ProRock regardless of how good of condition it is in.

I would also like to see some info on why synergy steering components are inferior(like you always say where's the proof?)
The currie tie rod is physically bigger, physically stronger and has physically larger and stronger joints and it is easier to adjust due to its factory like design. These are FACTS that if you took the time to look up and or compare for yourself, you would know that I'm right. That being said, where's your proof as to how the synergy tie rod is "better"?

I have not seem any negative feed back, only positive recommendations from local shops who sell both parts and would make more money selling me the Currie.

LOL!! Oh please, local shops recommended the synergy tie rid and that what makes it better? You'll forgive me but shops recommend what they have in stock and/or on what they can make the most profit on. Just because something costs more doesn't mean it makes them more money.

IF there is proof I will toss my synergy tie rod and buy a Currie and tell you you I screwed up.

To be clear, I never said that the synergy tie-rid was "bad", just that the currie one is "the best" you can buy. And, so that it isn't missed, I don't even like the guys at currie and I would never recommend other products that they make like their axles for instance. Unlike the synergy fanboy you seem to be, I just call it like it is - you of course can take it or leave it. It's no sweat off my back :)

Spudcannons

LOL!! I suppose you would consider a brand new Teraflex axle to be better than a used ProRock regardless of how good of condition it is in.

The currie tie rod is physically bigger, physically stronger and has physically larger and stronger joints and it is easier to adjust due to its factory like design. These are FACTS that if you took the time to look up and or compare for yourself, you would know that I'm right. That being said, where's your proof as to how the synergy tie rod is "better"?

LOL!! Oh please, local shops recommended the synergy tie rid and that what makes it better? You'll forgive me but shops recommend what they have in stock and/or on what they can make the most profit on. Just because something costs more doesn't mean it makes them more money.

To be clear, I never said that the synergy tie-rid was "bad", just that the currie one is "the best" you can buy. And, so that it isn't missed, I don't even like the guys at currie and I would never recommend other products that they make like their axles for instance. Unlike the synergy fanboy you seem to be, I just call it like it is - you of course can take it or leave it. It's no sweat off my back :)

I never said better. In fact I agreed they were best but was saying for much less you can have a quality product almost as good.

No fan boy it just seemed like you were hating on a product for costing less. As for your used prorock to new teraflex comparison is not the same as a new custom LS engine(like an LS1, LSX) compared to a used one producing less power and torque, both those engines are made by chevy have the same quality craftsmanship. I don't think you would disagree Dynatrac and Teraflex have different levels of craftsmanship...

Last edited:
I won my Synergy tie rod in a raffle. I have been really happy with it and I've put it through some pain. This said, it is plagued with the same type of adjustment as their other steering components and they suck for those with winter salted roads. They are a breeze to adjust once and impossible after one winter. I have also had a bunch of problems with their boots. So mush so on my wife's D-link that I just ordered all the parts to put a stock right-hand drive d-link in it's place.

I have no real experience with the Currie T-R other than seeing it. I will tell you it is pure beef and no internet picture really does it justice. So beefy you may need to think twice about the clamp you use for a SS or Ram. I had some clearance issues with the CMM clamp (which is VERY large). I don't know that this would be an issue for sure but it looks like it might be.

Hot94Z28

Anyone see that SPOHN makes a tie rod? I'm just asking about it cause when I was modding my F-Body they were a very good suspension brand at the time.

I have used and seen some of the joints sold by Ruff Stuff and honestly wasn't that impressed. They use fairly standard 3/4 Ton (advertised as 1 Ton) joints which do not have a grease channel and have a chamfer near the ball. The chamfer is where I have seen them break. Below is a ball comparison... It would be nice if the Currie Joint was also here but I took this picture from the Synergy site and they likely don't want to make this comparison (The Currie is MUCH bigger).

PPM-4131-COMPARISON-400.jpg

To my knowledge almost all aftermarket rods require 17" wheels unless you convert them to an open ball type TRE.

OscarMike2.0

I have used and seen some of the joints sold by Ruff Stuff and honestly wasn't that impressed. They use fairly standard 3/4 Ton (advertised as 1 Ton) joints which do not have a grease channel and have a chamfer near the ball. The chamfer is where I have seen them break. Below is a ball comparison... It would be nice if the Currie Joint was also here but I took this picture from the Synergy site and they likely don't want to make this comparison (The Currie is MUCH bigger).

PPM-4131-COMPARISON-400.jpg

To my knowledge almost all aftermarket rods require 17" wheels unless you convert them to an open ball type TRE.

I'm am in no way saying this is anything compared to a currie but for the price it's not a bad replacement for the stock tierod. Have you seen the Rock krawler tie rod? That things look insane.

NM2012CherryJK

They use the same ends as the ruff stuff kit. I would have went with them because it's aluminum but for 700 dollars it was a no go for me.

Yea they where expensive but after having the issues I did with the Synergy I didn't want to have to re-spend on another tie rod and drag link so I just went with these as I was going to get them from the beginning and went the cheep route and got the Synergy ones get what you paid for. I'm happy with them will see how they hold up in the long run.

I'm am in no way saying this is anything compared to a currie but for the price it's not a bad replacement for the stock tierod. Have you seen the Rock krawler tie rod? That things look insane.

LOL yes! I think it has Aluminium threads though... I've been told by more than one person they have seen them strip and pull out. :shock:

Yea they where expensive but after having the issues I did with the Synergy I didn't want to have to re-spend on another tie rod and drag link so I just went with these as I was going to get them from the beginning and went the cheep route and got the Synergy ones get what you paid for. I'm happy with them will see how they hold up in the long run.

Care to elaborate on the issues? I'm sure it will help the OP and I'd like to know too :yup:

Top Bottom