Gears or tire carrier?

kyle521

So before I head back to school I have enough money for one or the other. My buddy can install the gears for me free of charge. So Im torn between installing 5.13s into my d30 front and stock d44 rear, or replacing my worn out tailgate hinges with a crawler conceptz tire carrier. Where I go to school is a lot of highway driving and a lot of mountains. They both come out to about the same price, unless anyone knows where to find gears cheaper than around $540. Thanks

JakeJK

So before I head back to school I have enough money for one or the other. My buddy can install the gears for me free of charge. So Im torn between installing 5.13s into my d30 front and stock d44 rear, or replacing my worn out tailgate hinges with a crawler conceptz tire carrier. Where I go to school is a lot of highway driving and a lot of mountains. They both come out to about the same price, unless anyone knows where to find gears cheaper than around $540. Thanks

Remove spare at your school until you can get new tire carrier and buy the gears just my 2 cents. Especially since you could probably install the tire carrier yourself

plext0r

LeighP

These are the hinges I would use instead of stock replacements; I have them on my wish list for my son's 2008 JKU since his tailgate makes noise on every little bump. I believe stock hinges cost almost $100 to replace and these are custom made for the JK.

http://gr8tops.com/shop/jeepmodels/jk-heavy-duty-replacement-tailgate-hinges

And there are accessory brackets to suit those hinges on the way....to carry a hi-lift or Rotopax container. :)
That way, you can do the gears, too.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
As mentioned, gears all the way only, I wouldn't do anything more than a 4.88 in a Dana 30. 5.13's will leave you with a pinion that is really small and it WILL be a weak point. Otherwise, replacement hinges are the way to go for sure.

hbkid22

I would do gears 100%....And as mentioned 4.88s are the best option for a D30 but I chose to run 5.13s as you have stated and I have a sport with 35s. Yes I know the risk I am taking but it has been amazing so just make sure you consider that before going above 4.88s.

Stegertime

Caught the Bug
4.88 with 35s all the way. I have this combo and it is perfect. You'll notice them everyday. Pull the tire and wait on the tire carrier, if you're worried just pull the tire off for now.

kyle521

As mentioned, gears all the way only, I wouldn't do anything more than a 4.88 in a Dana 30. 5.13's will leave you with a pinion that is really small and it WILL be a weak point. Otherwise, replacement hinges are the way to go for sure.

I have 4.10s now, I dont think 4.88 will be too much difference.

Top Bottom