Oil pan skid

Jgarch

My oil pan skid will be delivered shortly. I have no questions about the actual install, but I don't want to drain the oil. (The skid attaches via the oil pan bolts.) The Jeep only has 2k miles on it, so this oil is good for a while yet.

Obviously the oil needs to be cool because spilling is always a possibility. With that said, will the oil pan gasket hold the pan on when I slip the skid in place? I plan to support the pan with the jack while I unbolt it. My concern is for when I need to remove the jack to put the skid under. I'm sure someone can tell me if I'm just being lazy and borrowing trouble or if the shortcut would work.

USMC Wrangler

I just did mine without draining the oil. I had not started the Jeep in over 24 hours. It was 102 in the garage when I started and 106 when I finished. Just be careful not to bump your pan once the two nuts and remaining bolts are out. Once all the fasteners were off, I did keep a hand on the bottom of the pan while I grabbed the skid, just to make me feel better. I made sure to have everything with me under there before starting. Good luck!

Jackal01

I just did mine without draining the oil. I had not started the Jeep in over 24 hours. It was 102 in the garage when I started and 106 when I finished. Just be careful not to bump your pan once the two nuts and remaining bolts are out. Once all the fasteners were off, I did keep a hand on the bottom of the pan while I grabbed the skid, just to make me feel better. I made sure to have everything with me under there before starting. Good luck!

I did the same thing. :yup:

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
I also would recommend doing the install when the oil is cold...minimize the chance of the sealant getting warm and weakening.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
As everyone else said just make sure your jeep is cold. The seal will hold. Just be quick about putting the pan and just make sure not to bump into as that can break the seal as well.

When I did mine I needed to to an oil change anyway so j drained mine. Like an idiot tho I refilled it before I put the pan on lolol

USMC Wrangler

I also would recommend doing the install when the oil is cold...minimize the chance of the sealant getting warm and weakening.

Agreed! I was worried about the outside air temp where I live being warm enough to break the seal. A week later and still no leaks.

Also, a little off topic but fresh in my mind, I wasn't able to get to the four corner fasteners or the rear, driver's side bolt over the tab with the in. lb. torque wrench. Had to use the hand wrench. That's an aluminum block so be gentle.

Jgarch

Agreed! I was worried about the outside air temp where I live being warm enough to break the seal. A week later and still no leaks.

Also, a little off topic but fresh in my mind, I wasn't able to get to the four corner fasteners or the rear, driver's side bolt over the tab with the in. lb. torque wrench. Had to use the hand wrench. That's an aluminum block so be gentle.

It sounds like everyone is saying it's heat, not weight that will most likely cause the problem with the gasket letting go. I can handle that!

And thanks for the reminder to order the torque wrench!

MotoMatthew

As everyone else said just make sure your jeep is cold. The seal will hold. Just be quick about putting the pan and just make sure not to bump into as that can break the seal as well.

When I did mine I needed to to an oil change anyway so j drained mine. Like an idiot tho I refilled it before I put the pan on lolol

Haha. That's something I would do.

Jgarch

Just thought I'd update this and say it went smoothly. Oil pan didn't budge. The only problem I had was that I couldn't get the socket set on to tighten it to spec. Had to guess with a standard wrench. No leaks so far.

USMC Wrangler

Just thought I'd update this and say it went smoothly. Oil pan didn't budge. The only problem I had was that I couldn't get the socket set on to tighten it to spec. Had to guess with a standard wrench. No leaks so far.

Yep, that's normal. Paint pen and checking semi-regularly here with no leaks.

Soylent

That happened to me after I had all the bolts off. Had to snug them down and drive to Sears to get an open-end socket so I could torque them down. They should mention that in the instructions.

Jgarch

That happened to me after I had all the bolts off. Had to snug them down and drive to Sears to get an open-end socket so I could torque them down. They should mention that in the instructions.

Yes, that would have been nice to know since I bought the torque ratchet just for this job. (And perhaps I read it somewhere and didn't process it.) Three cheers for easy return policies!

Anyhow, I made them snug without cranking on them. I'd estimate I could get a half a turn more if I really needed it. I figured better a leak than to snap off the bolt.

Top Bottom