Tore driveshaft boot

toxicwaste29

Hello all. I knew I was on borrowed time and I tore my driveshaft boot on the trail. I'm still riding today. Is it something I can ride on today and just undo the driveshaft for my 6 hr drive back home or do I have to undo it and ride trails in 2wd

jeeeep

Hooked
I ran mine for about 3 years before it finally went, including 2 trips to Moab, the heat kept the grease soft.

It finally failedon and ice day once the grease hardened lol

just listen for the noise once all the grease is gone and then remove it, you don't want it to break loose.

07JKSahara

My front has been torn for a year or so. What's the tell tale sign when it's done? I keep listening but not sure what I listening for.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
My front has been torn for a year or so. What's the tell tale sign when it's done? I keep listening but not sure what I listening for.

You most likely won't hear anything but what will happen is that the shaft will start to seize and that will cause a greater amount of pressure on the bearings in the rzeppa joint and that will cause them to fail. I have seen this happen.

jango

If this is for the rear shaft: Boot replacement from Mopar is only 40$ if i remember right. New boot, two clamps, and a little grease. Just drop an end of the shaft and replace it. When you do replace it I believe Eddie made a right up on how to relocate your Evap Skid (which is what caused my boot rip twice until I finally did the mod) and you just move the skid over an inch or two and my boot has never ripped since.

toxicwaste29

Sorry all. It is my front shaft that has the torn boot. Slight tear not a complete rip so I should be good for a little while. I did try taking it off for my 6 hr trek back home and I could not get the rear part off even with a bfh

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
How did you relocate your skid ? Do you happen to have the part number for the Mopar replacement boot ?

Here's how I did mine.

Attachments

• 1441763825957.jpg
    1441763825957.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 189
  • 1441763845556.jpg
    1441763845556.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 189

chipper

How did you relocate your skid ? Do you happen to have the part number for the Mopar replacement boot ?

I did the same as olram30. Don't have the part # with me, I'm outta town with work. But I just went to the dealer told them what I needed. They did have to order it in.

Mike Chapman

I fixed mine like this...

My boot was torn a good year ago on the Rubicon. Plus, Since I was sold on the RE 3.5" Lift from my ...Good Buddies.., at 4wheelparts (Which has been a good lift BTW) I ground a 1/4" Groove all the way around the front shaft where it rubbed on my skid...

I called the good folks at Northridge and they sold me a set of Adams Drive shafts for a Steal!

WP_20150908_004.jpg

Ignore the bar in the back ground.. I don't really do my upgrades ..in... the.. Okay, Yes I do..

vjusmc

I did the same as olram30. Don't have the part # with me, I'm outta town with work. But I just went to the dealer told them what I needed. They did have to order it in.

Sounds good. I will get that done this weekend. Thanks

vjusmc

I think I'll fix the torn boot and relocate the Skid until I really need a new shaft. I'm going to save the money and do other upgrades. Eventually I will replace.

chipper

Just got back home. The part number on the rear drive shaft dust boot is
Mopar 68222873-AA
It was $58.35 at the dealership. Easy install, may not be necessary but worth the peace of mind till I can afford to get a new driveshaft.

vjusmc

I just ordered it online. The dealer didn't have it in stock. I paid 51.00 dollars shipped. Thank you.

vjusmc

For those of you who have replaced the boot. Do you guys know what the torque specs are for the driveshaft bolts. How are the clamps tightened ?

Top Bottom