Carpet Melt Down - Heat Shield Recommendation

jk12blk

I took my rear seat out recently to lighten the load for a run on Fordyce. All my gear which I normally stack on top of my rear folded down seat was now sitting directly on the floor directly behind my front seats. What I think happened is there was zero air flow behind my driver seat and all the heat from my muffler transferred through the tub and could not escape because all my gear smothered the area. It resulted in the carpet meltdown which you can see in the pic below. In the other pics, you can see my muffler and how close it is to the underside of the tub. I'm not sure if I have a muffler problem as things had been running just fine for over a year since I had my exhaust re-routed, but for whatever reason things have begun to heat up and now I'm not sure what to do.

I'm thinking of buying some type of heat shield (flat self stick sheet or something) which I can stick to the underside of the tub. This way, I will have a heat barrier between my muffler and the tub and reduce the amount of heat transferring into my jeep.

Is there a good brand of heat shield you can recommend? Or, should I be looking to replace my muffler? Any feedback appreciated. Thanks!

IMG_7857.jpg IMG_7860.jpg IMG_7862.jpg

Rccrwlr

I took my rear seat out recently to lighten the load for a run on Fordyce. All my gear which I normally stack on top of my rear folded down seat was now sitting directly on the floor directly behind my front seats. What I think happened is there was zero air flow behind my driver seat and all the heat from my muffler transferred through the tub and could not escape because all my gear smothered the area. It resulted in the carpet meltdown which you can see in the pic below. In the other pics, you can see my muffler and how close it is to the underside of the tub. I'm not sure if I have a muffler problem as things had been running just fine for over a year since I had my exhaust re-routed, but for whatever reason things have begun to heat up and now I'm not sure what to do.

I'm thinking of buying some type of heat shield (flat self stick sheet or something) which I can stick to the underside of the tub. This way, I will have a heat barrier between my muffler and the tub and reduce the amount of heat transferring into my jeep.

Is there a good brand of heat shield you can recommend? Or, should I be looking to replace my muffler? Any feedback appreciated. Thanks!

View attachment 156967 View attachment 156968 View attachment 156969

Think you can just move the old heat shield from then orig muffler location to the new location?

SFNick

I had a Flowmaster in the same spot & eventually moved it because of the heat. I used this heat shield combined with Dynamat & it helped some. Your best bet is to get a muffler with more insulation such as a Magnaflow or Dynomax. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1438493719.372549.jpg

jeeeep

Hooked
look for muffler heat shield, there are types like the one shown above and also material that you can apply to the body above the muffler or wrap the muffler, check out summit racing

Petthefish

Muffler wrap would help but if you wrapped the muffler and got a heat shield I think you should be golden

jk12blk

I've decided to do a few things. Use the cool it thermo tec heat shields and their cool it hi-heat coating AND replace the muffler. I visited a well respected muffler shop in Orangevale today and the guy recommended the Flowmaster HP2 (HP = hushpower). The muffler shop is a dealer for all sorts of muffler brands including magnaflow and dynomax.

Apparently, the HP2 has some type of "cool shell" technology which is exactly what I want and although it is not as loud as other mufflers, it still sounds good. There are some good videos on YouTube where other JKUR owners installed this system and it sounded good.

Hopefully, this does the trick for me and it's really not that expensive - another plus.

thanks for all the feedback and suggestions!

Here is a pic of the muffler which provides some detail.
Now I need to find a replacement carpet kit. :beer:

IMG_7907.jpg

Top Bottom