Can't get Toe in Spec

MotoMatthew

After running the Rubicon the alignment shop was unable to get my toe in spec. The steering feels odd as well. Like a small correction will cause a lot of wheel movement. Upon braking at speed it wants to pull to the right as well.

What are the possible culprits? Tie rod? What else? I installed a new synergy tie rod before the Rubicon run, but I suppose it could be bent?

Thanks!

Spudcannons

After running the Rubicon the alignment shop was unable to get my toe in spec. The steering feels odd as well. Like a small correction will cause a lot of wheel movement. Upon braking at speed it wants to pull to the right as well.

What are the possible culprits? Tie rod? What else? I installed a new synergy tie rod before the Rubicon run, but I suppose it could be bent?

Thanks!

Take a strait edge to that sucker! I would also check the C's.

ERAUGrad04

Caught the Bug
Almost sounds like you have a joint that is failing. Maybe a tie rod end?

Take a channel locks to each joint and squeeze it. If the joint has any up and down movement, it is in its way out.

From an alignment standpoint, what value are they joy able to get into spec? Just toe? Caster is only adjustable if you have aftermarket arms and camber is not adjustable. If either of these two values were in spec before the trip and are now out, you may have tweaked the housing or a C.

Either way, we can put the rig though a few more paces this weekend! :thumbup:

The factory spec for toe is very tight and it is pretty tricky to get get with a Synergy tie rod. Especially if they loosen the clamp too much as tightening the clamp back down will cause a shift as the threads come together and make it go out again. This said, there is no good reason (beyond something else going on) that should keep you from getting close enough. Hell, I haven't done an alignment with anything other than a tape measure in some time...

The shifting under braking makes me wonder if you have something loose. Check your track bar and bushings again. Also double check your control bolts.

I would think anything in the ball-joints, unit bearing, and/or C's would give you more of a camber issue and not toe.

MotoMatthew

Almost sounds like you have a joint that is failing. Maybe a tie rod end?

Take a channel locks to each joint and squeeze it. If the joint has any up and down movement, it is in its way out.

From an alignment standpoint, what value are they joy able to get into spec? Just toe? Caster is only adjustable if you have aftermarket arms and camber is not adjustable. If either of these two values were in spec before the trip and are now out, you may have tweaked the housing or a C.

Either way, we can put the rig though a few more paces this weekend! :thumbup:

I'll have the brain trust take a look at it this weekend on the trail. :D

MotoMatthew

So the jeep is at the dealer now for an unrelated issue so I can't take photos or test. But I'm thinking it might be the steering stabilizer that's acting wonky. I relocated it up higher when I installed the synergy tie rod (without any new brackets) by just rotating the mount on the tie rod. I think it might be slightly binding.

So the jeep is at the dealer now for an unrelated issue so I can't take photos or test. But I'm thinking it might be the steering stabilizer that's acting wonky. I relocated it up higher when I installed the synergy tie rod (without any new brackets) by just rotating the mount on the tie rod. I think it might be slightly binding.

Take that thing off! Easy way to tell :yup:

MotoMatthew

Thanks Panda. Something is off. Jeep drove great before the rubicon and now it's just a little nervous on the road. Once I get it back from the shop (manual tranny leak warranty fix) I'll start with the stabilizer and probably ask for a second set of eyes if that doesn't solve it.

MotoMatthew

I took it off and it feels normal again. Will run it for a bit with it off to be sure. The oem stabilizer was hit by some rocks. Could be off. Ordered a new ome one with a high mount relocation bracket.

Top Bottom