CB Tuning Issue

ERAUGrad04

Caught the Bug
Around the beginning of the year, I installed a new Cobra 75 along with a Fire Ring coax and 3' FireStik. The antenna was installed on the top of my AEV tire carrier mast.

At the time of the install, the lowest I could get my SWRs was in the low to mid 2s. After quite a bit of troubleshooting, which included checking all connections, a different FireStik and new grounding cables, I could not get the SWR below 2.

Fast forward a few months and I installed the Wilson 2000 antenna and I am still stuck with low 2s.

I was starting to think it was meter issues, however, Back County just borrowed my meter and his came in close to 1.

Any thoughts?

The only idea I've got floating around right now is the antenna is too high in relation to the ground plane. The base of the antenna is almost at the roof line. I'm considering welding a tab lower on the carrier, but thought I would tap the group for any thoughts first.

Thanks!

What is the SWR on Channel 1 AND on Channel 40?

Also is your radio using clean power and a clean ground (radio side)

JAGS

Hooked
Around the beginning of the year, I installed a new Cobra 75 along with a Fire Ring coax and 3' FireStik. The antenna was installed on the top of my AEV tire carrier mast.

At the time of the install, the lowest I could get my SWRs was in the low to mid 2s. After quite a bit of troubleshooting, which included checking all connections, a different FireStik and new grounding cables, I could not get the SWR below 2.

Fast forward a few months and I installed the Wilson 2000 antenna and I am still stuck with low 2s.

I was starting to think it was meter issues, however, Back County just borrowed my meter and his came in close to 1.

Any thoughts?

The only idea I've got floating around right now is the antenna is too high in relation to the ground plane. The base of the antenna is almost at the roof line. I'm considering welding a tab lower on the carrier, but thought I would tap the group for any thoughts first.

Thanks!

How/where are you tuning the CB? Tunable tip or chop style Firestik? They also advice that you do the tuning in an open area with no buildings, light poles or any other obstructions. This mattered quite a bit as tuning in my driveway was very different than tuning in the open areas I was able to find within a 10-15 minute drive. With the Firestik I found that just putting on and off the the plastic cover changed my readings so had to adjust for that as well.

All said, tuning is a PITA! Not sure if helped or not. :crazyeyes:

ERAUGrad04

Caught the Bug
What is the SWR on Channel 1 AND on Channel 40?

Also is your radio using clean power and a clean ground (radio side)

I was able to get it to ~2.7 on both 1 and 40 by adjusting the length of the antennas.

The power is supplied via the sPod currently, however, it has been directly connected to the battery with similar results. The ground is supplied via the factory grounding post down by the passenger foot kick panel.

ERAUGrad04

Caught the Bug
How/where are you tuning the CB? Tunable tip or chop style Firestik? They also advice that you do the tuning in an open area with no buildings, light poles or any other obstructions. This mattered quite a bit as tuning in my driveway was very different than tuning in the open areas I was able to find within a 10-15 minute drive. With the Firestik I found that just putting on and off the the plastic cover changed my readings so had to adjust for that as well.

All said, tuning is a PITA! Not sure if helped or not. :crazyeyes:

Thanks JAGS!

The first few attempt were in a field not too from my house, however, I will admit the last few have been in my driveway.

When I was using the FireStik, it was a tunable tip type and to get the SWR equal in 1 & 40, I actually had to remove the tip all together. The Wilson just needed a little adjustment in slip connection.

And I agree, tuning is a PITA! I'd rather mount 5 more Slabs than spend anymore time on the CB! :D

If I make it up this weekend I'll bring my SWR and check it out. You should be at or around 1-1.2's. My guess is possible cable routing, interference, or it's possible a defective antenna. We can try swapping another and see what we can tune it too. Just some quick ideas :thumb:

I was able to get it to ~2.7 on both 1 and 40 by adjusting the length of the antennas.

The power is supplied via the sPod currently, however, it has been directly connected to the battery with similar results. The ground is supplied via the factory grounding post down by the passenger foot kick panel.

OK - What Jags said about open area is valid as well along with having the door closed.

I will assume you are putting the meter on the radio side not the antenna side.

Next culprit could be your fire ring making good contact the the mount.

Did you say you have a separate ground strap for the antenna? If so remove it and see if it goes up - if NOT there is no path from the fire ring to the ground - checking ground with a Ohm meter is the best way to track down silly issues like this.

:beer:

ERAUGrad04

Caught the Bug
If I make it up this weekend I'll bring my SWR and check it out. You should be at or around 1-1.2's. My guess is possible cable routing, interference, or it's possible a defective antenna. We can try swapping another and see what we can tune it too. Just some quick ideas :thumb:

That would be great!

I've tried three different antennas, including a 2' FireStik, 3' FireStik and now the Wilson 2000.

I do question the cable routing as it is routed with the factory bundle in the tailgate loom. Maybe it got pinched?

Thanks Jason and hopefully we see ya this weekend! :thumbup:

JAGS

Hooked
Thanks JAGS!

The first few attempt were in a field not too from my house, however, I will admit the last few have been in my driveway.

When I was using the FireStik, it was a tunable tip type and to get the SWR equal in 1 & 40, I actually had to remove the tip all together. The Wilson just needed a little adjustment in slip connection.

And I agree, tuning is a PITA! I'd rather mount 5 more Slabs than spend anymore time on the CB! :D

I'm now thinking along the line Brandon was leaning....that there is something not right in the connection of the CB. Not sure if that would be coax, mount, ground, power...or combination thereof. But for the tunable tip to need to be completely removed seems off.

I feel your pain in that something seemingly so easy is just chucking away at time that could be spent elsewhere.

I'm wondering if you couldn't take it to a truck stop and have them tinker with it. I've heard from others they can be pretty helpful as they have all the gadgets and experience in troubleshooting.

ERAUGrad04

Caught the Bug
OK - What Jags said about open area is valid as well along with having the door closed.

I will assume you are putting the meter on the radio side not the antenna side.

Next culprit could be your fire ring making good contact the the mount.

Did you say you have a separate ground strap for the antenna? If so remove it and see if it goes up - if NOT there is no path from the fire ring to the ground - checking ground with a Ohm meter is the best way to track down silly issues like this.

:beer:

I have grounding cables going from the tailgate to the body and then cables going from the tailgate to the AEV carrier. At one point I even grabbed a set of jumper cables and grounded the carrier to the frame just to 100% rule out a ground issue.

I have OHMd the Fire Ring and the ground path and all resistance values were well within limits that I discussed with the FireStik team. Sorry, I can't remember the values off the top of my head.

Edit: the SWR is connected at the radio side. :)

I have grounding cables going from the tailgate to the body and then cables going from the tailgate to the AEV carrier. At one point I even grabbed a set of jumper cables and grounded the carrier to the frame just to 100% rule out a ground issue.

I have OHMd the Fire Ring and the ground path and all resistance values were well within limits that I discussed with the FireStik team. Sorry, I can't remember the values off the top of my head.

Edit: the SWR is connected at the radio side. :)

Can you take a quick pic of your mount including the cable and Wilson for me?

DESERTDAD

I hear you guys talking about the routing of your coax, Could someone please share that info for a 4 door?
I just got my radio last night and am waiting on brackets to do the install but to be honest I don't have a clue how to route the cable yet.:thinking:
I am doing the above the rear view mirror mount.
Thanks in Advance !!

I hear you guys talking about the routing of your coax, Could someone please share that info for a 4 door?
I just got my radio last night and am waiting on brackets to do the install but to be honest I don't have a clue how to route the cable yet.:thinking:
I am doing the above the rear view mirror mount.
Thanks in Advance !!

Where are you mounting your antenna?

Top Bottom