Clutch loses pressure on highway

mcsjk

I had my clutch replaced in the fall and ever since I had it done, when I am driving on the highway for an extended period of time I lose a ton of pressure in my clutch pedal. Sometimes to the point where I get locked out of shifting into gear and have to pump the clutch to get pressure back in it to get it to go into gear.

Has anybody ever had or heard of this problem? I took it back to the shop after it first happened and they said they couldn't replicate the problem and it was fine. Any ideas?

I had my clutch replaced in the fall and ever since I had it done, when I am driving on the highway for an extended period of time I lose a ton of pressure in my clutch pedal. Sometimes to the point where I get locked out of shifting into gear and have to pump the clutch to get pressure back in it to get it to go into gear.

Has anybody ever had or heard of this problem? I took it back to the shop after it first happened and they said they couldn't replicate the problem and it was fine. Any ideas?

Sounds like a master cylinder may need replaced or has a leak.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Agreed. If it were the slave, you would see brake fluid leaking from the bell housing. Also, you would hear the spring in it when you depress the clutch. Of course, if you had a leak or were low on fluid, the problem you are having would persist and not be something that comes and goes.

joshuaj21

Apologies in advance for the hijack, but I recently replaced my clutch, TOB, etc... slave cyl was good and so was master cyl as far as I can tell since it drives and shifts like the day I bought it (OEM replacement - AMS kit). However, how would you be able to test the master cyl theory to be sure? Is there a way to rule out everything else or prove the culprit is the master cyl without taking to dealership? I suppose I'm asking of there could be any other cause to this problem? I'm paranoid about mine as well just in case anything else comes up I'd like to have an idea of where to look as well. Thanks! And mcsjk, sorry the hijack...

mcsjk

Here's an update. Just drove 19 hours from Cape Cod to Atlanta.

It was doing it for about the first 3 hours on the highway until I stopped to get gas and then it stopped and didn't start again until I was in North Carolina and did it the rest of the way home (6 hours). It got so bad a few times that I would push the clutch in and it would never disengage. I could still pump it fast for 5 or 10 seconds and I would get pressure back in it to change gears but the pressure would go back out pretty quickly after pumping.

I also noticed at the engage/ disengage point in the clutch that I'm hearing a noise kind of like a buzzing or a vibrating sound coming from the transmission. I've already had the throw out bearing replaced once since having the clutch replaced, wondering if I may need it replaced again.

Lastly, I have had this problem before and took it to the shop that did the clutch and they replaced the master cylinder. I think that time there was actually a leak. So my master cylinder is about 8 months old. Not saying it couldn't be that, just that I've had it replaced and it's still doing it.

paradym3

I know this is a years old thread, sorry for replying. I just found this post and it describes an issue I am having exactly and I am just curious what your solution was. Was it the master cylinder as you thought? Like you I have a recent clutch replacement so a master cylinder would seem likely.

Thank you,
Craig

Here's an update. Just drove 19 hours from Cape Cod to Atlanta.

It was doing it for about the first 3 hours on the highway until I stopped to get gas and then it stopped and didn't start again until I was in North Carolina and did it the rest of the way home (6 hours). It got so bad a few times that I would push the clutch in and it would never disengage. I could still pump it fast for 5 or 10 seconds and I would get pressure back in it to change gears but the pressure would go back out pretty quickly after pumping.

I also noticed at the engage/ disengage point in the clutch that I'm hearing a noise kind of like a buzzing or a vibrating sound coming from the transmission. I've already had the throw out bearing replaced once since having the clutch replaced, wondering if I may need it replaced again.

Lastly, I have had this problem before and took it to the shop that did the clutch and they replaced the master cylinder. I think that time there was actually a leak. So my master cylinder is about 8 months old. Not saying it couldn't be that, just that I've had it replaced and it's still doing it.

Top Bottom