CARNAGE!! Let's See Your Best Breaks & Trail Damage

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I thought it would be fun to start a thread dedicated to the carnage most of us have seen over the years. To kick things off, here are a few shots of body damage and breaks that Moby has seen. :cool:

Probably one of the worst breaks you can have - a sector shaft, taken out on the Rubicon...
main.php

main.php

It'll rub right out!! :cheesy: A little carnage on Moby compliments of Carnage Canyon BV....
main.php

main.php

Custom rear sway bar break thanks to Billings Canyon...
main.php

A summer of hard wheeling gave our Spyderlock rings a working and bent our rear axle shaft flanges as well...
main.php

If it can be broken, there's a good chance that we'll break it. Shot right after breaking our semi-float ProRock 60 rear axle shaft at the flange on Double Whammy...
main.php

As you can see from the ring of rust, it had been failing for quite some time. Perfect excuse to go full-float...
main.php

Kiss from a tree on the Dusy Ershim. As you can see, I wasn't the first to get the love tap and, I doubt I'll be the last...
main.php

main.php

main.php

Blown out rear end also compliments of the Dusy Ershim. Should have known better than to run a 5.38 ring & pinion in a Dana 44 rear axle pushing 40x15.50's...
main.php

Here are some shots of a chromoly front dana 44 shaft after being played hard on for about a year...
main.php

main.php

Sure would have been nice if the darn shaft had just broken at the U-joint. Here are a couple of shots of what it ended up doing to locker, bearings and housing...
main.php

main.php

Broken front track bar mounts compliments of the Bronco Peak Connector...
main.php

Trust me, there's a lot more than that and if I can think of it and or find pics of other breaks, rock rash and trail damage, I'll be sure to post them up. In the mean time, how about we see some of your pics!!

:thumb:

YJBomber

Darn TirdyFive

This is what happens after 8 months of light amounts of wheeling. Took the time after the dana 35 broke for the second time in the same year and upgraded rear ends. 421810_3403203357451_1191615742_n.jpg

bl17z90

wow all I have done so far is jack up my lower control arms/mounts :thumb:

I'm sure it's just a matter of time.:beer:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
This wasn't on our Jeep but, we were there to help our good friend Trail Bud after he broke his first factory Dana 44 front axle housing :shock:

main.php

main.php

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
First?.. meaning it happened again?:eek:

Curious what size tires was he running at the time?

:cheesy: oh yeah, Trail Bud is the only person that I know of who's been able to break 2 factory dana 44 housings. as luck would have it, i was present both times too :crazyeyes:

on this first break, he was only running 33" tires.

RockIt Man

Probably one of the worst breaks you can have - a sector shaft, taken out on the Rubicon...

So there is a good reason for those sector shaft kits that I have seen on the market... I already had it on my list but this just verifies that purchase. Are you running one of those now? I believe I've seen a couple from EVO and JKS.... any thoughts on those two?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
It seems to me that the ongoing theme is ring and pinion...:hmm:

Oh, we've definitely seen our fair share of them. The problem comes from running bigger tires, gears with ratios to match and playing on harder and harder obstacles. You just can't make a small ring or even smaller pinion hold up to the stresses that they see. For the most part, the highest ratio I would go in a Dana 44 is 5.13. A 5.38 might be a better ratio to go with when running 37's but, the pinion gets to be real small and if you actually play hard, will be asking for trouble. The same is true with a 5.13 gear on a Dana 30. It's ring gear is already a tiny 7-1/8" in diameter and at this high ratio, the pinion is very small.

In the end, you live and learn and we've learned a lot the hard way. :crazyeyes:

RockIt Man

Oh, we've definitely seen our fair share of them. The problem comes from running bigger tires, gears with ratios to match and playing on harder and harder obstacles. You just can't make a small ring or even smaller pinion hold up to the stresses that they see. For the most part, the highest ratio I would go in a Dana 44 is 5.13. A 5.38 might be a better ratio to go with when running 37's but, the pinion gets to be real small and if you actually play hard, will be asking for trouble. The same is true with a 5.13 gear on a Dana 30. It's ring gear is already a tiny 7-1/8" in diameter and at this high ratio, the pinion is very small.

In the end, you live and learn and we've learned a lot the hard way. :crazyeyes:

Very interesting thought... I have seen so many thread that talk about what size tire to run with whichever axle... however, I have yet to see the gear ratio mentioned specifically.

Good info to move forward with:thumb:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So there is a good reason for those sector shaft kits that I have seen on the market... I already had it on my list but this just verifies that purchase. Are you running one of those now? I believe I've seen a couple from EVO and JKS.... any thoughts on those two?

Yes and no. If you're running really big tires and a dropped pitman arm, maybe. But, you'd really be better off running a ram assist. We weren't running one at the time of the break and still don't now as I really don't think that a brace would have made a difference for us. We're justpushing really big, wide and heavy 40x15.50 tires and it really was more a matter of time for us than anything. Running a PSC ram assist help prevent it from breaking for a long time but, everything breaks sooner or later. I'm just glad that Mel had a spare with him and, we now carry one too. :yup:

Very interesting thought... I have seen so many thread that talk about what size tire to run with whichever axle... however, I have yet to see the gear ratio mentioned specifically.

Good info to move forward with:thumb:

Yeah, I see so many of them them too. And, for most people, it probably won't matter but, if they actually played as hard as they say they do, it is something that should be taken into consideration.

rinkishjk

wayoflife said:
Yup, we do now. A lot smaller and easier to carry around than a steering box :crazyeyes:

Wow. I bet that's fun to change on the trail. So even with a psc ram setup, u still carry one? It does make a lot of sense to have one.

NAUJK

Sadly I do not have pictures but the only break I have suffered on a trail is Hydro-locking my engine..... :grayno:.
Its only a matter of time till I do tho, deep down inside I am hoping for the front Dana 30 to fail somehow giving a good excuse to upgrade. :cool:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Wow. I bet that's fun to change on the trail. So even with a psc ram setup, u still carry one? It does make a lot of sense to have one.

There are a lot of things you can break on the trail and still get back to pavement with a few trail fixes - a broken sector shaft isn't one of them. You break it and you're up a creek without a paddle, that is of course, unless you have a spare. Changing one out on the trail is a lot of "fun". Took Mel from Off Road Evolution and I both working on it at the same time still took about 3 hours to do. Once broken, the remaining shaft is a real pain to remove especially without damaging the seals or bearings.

Our PSC help keep our sector shaft from breaking for over 3 years so, it did it's job well but, when you keep pushing things, they can and still will break.

Top Bottom