Driving in high altitudes?

Jeep2010

I'm going to Colorado at the end of this month and wanted to know what to expect as far as engine problems or any advice to prevent engine problems in the 8000-12000 feet high mark. Anything is appreciated! Thank you.

hbkid22

I'm going to Colorado at the end of this month and wanted to know what to expect as far as engine problems or any advice to prevent engine problems in the 8000-12000 feet high mark. Anything is appreciated! Thank you.

The only issue you may have is gearing....Not sure what you are running for gears and tires but other than that you should not have any issues unless you are running a carburetor? I live in CO and have no problems.

NevadaZielmeister

Caught the Bug

I live at altitude and play a lot at 8,000 plus feet. I suspect that your JK is fuel injected, so the only thing you will notice is a reduction in horsepower. The sensors in the engine will compensate for the lack of oxygen and pressure in the air.

There is really nothing you have to do at all. Just remember to take care of yourself and drink a lot of water. Make it a conscious effort to always have water on hand and drink and drink. You will be surprised how much water you go through just by breathing.

Have fun!!

t8er

You'll notice a power loss at altitude but that it. Drink plenty of water and reach out of you need someone to wheel with. I live near Denver.

Jeep2010

You'll notice a power loss at altitude but that it. Drink plenty of water and reach out of you need someone to wheel with. I live near Denver.

I'm definitely interested in meeting up. I've never been in the area and would appreciate it for sure!

Jeep2010

The only issue you may have is gearing....Not sure what you are running for gears and tires but other than that you should not have any issues unless you are running a carburetor? I live in CO and have no problems.

I'm running 4.88 gearing with 35" tires with a 6-speed. I also run a 91 octane tune with a superchip trail dash but am currently running 93 because 91 is harder to find in Ohio.

hbkid22

I'm running 4.88 gearing with 35" tires with a 6-speed. I also run a 91 octane tune with a superchip trail dash but am currently running 93 because 91 is harder to find in Ohio.

Your gearing will help and with a manual you will be able to control the gearing better than an auto. It won't impact you much. You will feel it more than the jeep. :)

boardsurfer

With 4.88 and a manual you will be just fine. Might notice a little sluggishness maintaining highway speeds, but at 12k in 4 low, probably no difference. I don't notice any.

Drop a line in the mile high meetup thread when you're ready. Surely someone will be around to run a trail with you if you want. I'm almost always down for a trail run - unless you're out on the western slope or something.

Jeep2010

With 4.88 and a manual you will be just fine. Might notice a little sluggishness maintaining highway speeds, but at 12k in 4 low, probably no difference. I don't notice any.

Drop a line in the mile high meetup thread when you're ready. Surely someone will be around to run a trail with you if you want. I'm almost always down for a trail run - unless you're out on the western slope or something.

I'll be in the Denver/ Colorado Springs area. And can go anywhere to meet some people. I'd enjoy getting a run together!

H8ROADS

Caught the Bug

None! Have fun!

Shootingjeeper

I was in the Durango/Ouray area a couple of weeks ago. I run the 91 octane tune on my JKUR. I live in Arkansas and never had any issues even running 87 octane gas but in CO at the higher altitudes, even running 91 octane fuel, it would try to gas "ping" anytime I went over 3500 rpm. I accidentally left my Flashpaq at home so I had to deal with it and really watch my revs. I would heavily consider at least switching to the 87 tune if not switching back to the stock tune... Hope this helps.

Top Bottom