2012-up transmission flush

EZ-E

I searched around, but couldn't find anything on write-ups on doing a transmission fluid change on the wa580 for the newer JKs. Does anyone have any info on when and how this is done before/if I need to dive into it? Thanks!

NecessaryEvil

Caught the Bug
U pull the pan. I believe it's six t30 torax with spacers that actually put pressure on the pan. Take the back two out, loosen the front two a little bit. Then slowly take the middle ones out. Just that will let the fluid out slow so you are not covered in it. Take the pan down once the fluid slows. Empty rest of fluid from pan. The fluid changes is the same as any other. Drain, replace filter, put pan back on, fill back up. I put a gallon of new fluid in the trans then start the vehicle up. Then add about another gallon then start checking the fluid level. Not every trans is the same amount so don't stick the whole second gallon it at once. About three quarters then check. Some Mercedes transmission do not come with a dip stick and you would have to buy a special one off the internet or parts store. If you actually want to flush it so you can get all the fluid out, you will have to bring it to the dealer or trans shop.

Last edited:

LeighP

Was at the dealer the other day and they mentioned the service interval on the trans was at around 90,000 kms (about 55,000 miles). I recalled reading someplace that the trans fluid on these is long service interval fluid.
I haven't actually looked it up myself.

noroad

I have a standard and change my own every 30k, As for a auto I think you might have to take it to someone and take the bullet to get it done right. I also don't know the miles on the auto but if you beat on it I would guess 30K ish as well.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
U pull the pan. I believe it's six t30 torax with spacers that actually put pressure on the pan. Take the back two out, loosen the front two a little bit. Then slowly take the middle ones out. Just that will let the fluid out slow so you are not covered in it. Take the pan down once the fluid slows. Empty rest of fluid from pan. The fluid changes is the same as any other. Drain, replace filter, put pan back on, fill back up. I put a gallon of new fluid in the trans then start the vehicle up. Then add about another gallon then start checking the fluid level. Not every trans is the same amount so don't stick the whole second gallon it at once. About three quarters then check. Some Mercedes transmission do not come with a dip stick and you would have to buy a special one off the internet or parts store. If you actually want to flush it so you can get all the fluid out, you will have to bring it to the dealer or trans shop.

Yup, in a nutshell this ^^^.

Linebacker

Caught the Bug
Yup, in a nutshell this ^^^.

X3. I like to change mine every 30k, but that's just me. Repeated long, steep, rocky climbs on hot days have just got to take their toll on the trans fluid. Still not sure why there's no drain plug, however small, to make it a cleaner job. I tend to spill some (sometimes lots of) fluid every time, but that's way better than paying someone upwards of $300. My JK loves me for it. I know it does.:twocents:

EZ-E

Ok, thanks for the info everyone. I'm at 52,000 miles and the JKX is coming up in three weeks. So I guess I better get to it!

noroad

Ok, thanks for the info everyone. I'm at 52,000 miles and the JKX is coming up in three weeks. So I guess I better get to it!

don't forget about the t-case and the diff's might be worth a change before the trip as well!

EZ-E

don't forget about the t-case and the diff's might be worth a change before the trip as well!

Yessir! Just did those a few weeks ago. Only a couple things left to do and then give the rig a once-over then I'm ready to roll. Gonna be around ~3000mi round trip from Missouri. Give or take for whatever route we take between the start and end points.

Top Bottom