Winching YouTube Demo - Learned A Few Things

jk12blk

I'm looking at adding some recovery gear for an upcoming trip. I have a lot to learn in terms of proper techniques, etc, so I thought I would view winching videos this morning. I ran across this simple video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yPO77QEpqo and what seemed like a normal demo on winching, I was surprised to see how many errors this person "apparently" made. I've provided feedback from one YouTube viewer which I wanted to share for your edification as well. Of course you will have to watch the video to see why he responded his way. Anyway, I learned a few things today and maybe you will too.

feedback...

"Perry, here are some things I noticed which you should be aware of: 1. If you are going to have your winch controller hooked up while pulling the cable out it would be best that it be away from the cable/fairlead so it does not get tangled up in it. Really best not to plug it in until needed. 2. The red strap you removed from the hook is used to pull the cable out and keep your hands off the hook or wire. 3. Your tree strap is too short for the diameter of the tree and almost does not allow to connect to the shackles. 4. Your tree strap should be at the base of the tree, not 2+ feet above it - probably due to the inadequate length. 5. You are using screw-pin anchor shackles of the bow variety (bow shackles), not "D" rings. 6. When you attach your bow shackle to the tree strap the strap should be on the bow of the shackle and not the pin. 7. You always back your pin off 1/4-1/2 a turn to prevent it from bindind if an off-center load is placed on the shackle. 8. If you need to cross over your cable you step on it, don't step over it and certainly don't set up your rigging stratling it. 9. Remember to engage your clutch before winding in or nothing happens and there should always be tension on the cable when taking up the slack, not loose like demonstrated. 10. Your winch may have 8500lbs of pulling capacity, but not on the last layer of the drum with only 30 feet pulled out. 11. Pulley blocks, not snatch blocks, don't increase the pulling capacity of the winch. They use the mechanical advantage to halve the load. 12. Best to put the Jeep back in gear so it does not roll away when the winch clutch is disengaged. 13. When you hooked up the pulley block to the bow shackle you side loaded it - something you should not do, but was probably done due to the strap being too short. 14. Alway screw the shackle pin down and not up so that the pin can't fall out. 15. I would do this over."

jk12blk

If the video is that bad why would you share it? That doesn't make any sense.
As a learning opportunity. For those who don't know any better, the video appears straight forward, risk free and does have good points (eg. hooking up vs down). My post is more about the viewer's constructive feedback - things you don't notice in the video unless your an expert with winching techniques. I learned a few things, so I thought I would share it with others.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I have a lot to learn in terms of proper techniques, etc, so I thought I would view winching videos this morning. I ran across this simple video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yPO77QEpqo and what seemed like a normal demo on winching, I was surprised to see how many errors this person "apparently" made.

:cheesy: Apparently, you really do have a lot to learn in terms of proper techniques, etc. I mean, you only posted up 15 reasons on this guy's YouTube channel as to how he did everything wrong. Good thing you came along to save him from himself :yup:

I've provided feedback from one YouTube viewer which I wanted to share for your edification as well.

:cheesy: - you're "that guy"!!

Thank you for the "edification". Who better to be edified than from a guy claiming that he has "a lot to learn in terms of proper techniques, etc" :crazyeyes:

My post is more about the viewer's constructive feedback - things you don't notice in the video unless your an expert with winching techniques.

So, now you're a self-proclaimed "expert". :thinking:

I learned a few things, so I thought I would share it with others.

For our edification, of course :yup:

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I just reread this and realized that comment was from you on YouTube. So for someone that has a lot to learn about winching, how is it that you know so much? :thinking:

NevadaZielmeister

Caught the Bug
While I have learned a lot about winching by just watching Cindy and Eddie's videos, I plan to just take a class and not believe every yahoo on the internet. I also plan to learn from local driver's and friends. Then practice on my own.

As for critiquing a video.. why do it? The OP nitpicked the shit out of this guy's video. I have only one comment to say to disrespectful causal experts like the OP: Make you own video then!!! Show up and make a better one, otherwise, leave everyone alone.

H8ROADS

Caught the Bug
I read this completely different and didn't see any ill intent, but the video is terrible no doubt. I think the OP was just sharing... Shrug.

10frank9

Web Wheeler
How many threads could there be if you posted up "hey look at this idiot" then you blast the guy. Just move on, I don't see the point of your thread. Looking for pats on the back are you? :grayno:

jk12blk

I just reread this and realized that comment was from you on YouTube. So for someone that has a lot to learn about winching, how is it that you know so much? :thinking:
Overlander - all i did was provide a quote of one of the responses which I found very insightful and corrective to the original video. I'm not at all part of the video nor I have ever commented on that particular video. I'm simply a messenger sharing information which I found informative and I thought others might find it informative as well. Maybe my original was not clear and you all are thinking I quoted myself when that is not the case at all. I simply quoted some other person's response who appears to have a good deal of expertise.

jk12blk

While I have learned a lot about winching by just watching Cindy and Eddie's videos, I plan to just take a class and not believe every yahoo on the internet. I also plan to learn from local driver's and friends. Then practice on my own.

As for critiquing a video.. why do it? The OP nitpicked the shit out of this guy's video. I have only one comment to say to disrespectful causal experts like the OP: Make you own video then!!! Show up and make a better one, otherwise, leave everyone alone.
I did not critique the video. I only shared the video and quoted some other person's constructive feedback which I found helpful.

jk12blk

I read this completely different and didn't see any ill intent, but the video is terrible no doubt. I think the OP was just sharing... Shrug.
Exactly. I'm simply sharing information which I thought others might appreciate - especially people who do not have a great deal of experience with winching. There is no hidden agenda in my original post. Just trying to be helpful and contribute to the community.

jk12blk

Maybe instead of saying, "I've provided feedback from one viewer..." in the original post, I could have said "I've included feedback from one viewer..". Maybe that would have changed the way some of you interpreted my original post.

seanb123

Maybe instead of saying, "I've provided feedback from one viewer..." in the original post, I could have said "I've included feedback from one viewer..". Maybe that would have changed the way some of you interpreted my original post.

You said you had a lot to learn. But then you come out with all these critiquing points. Makes no sense

jk12blk

You said you had a lot to learn. But then you come out with all these critiquing points. Makes no sense
My recent responses are focused on understanding and clarifying why my original post was misinterpreted. In nutshell, I viewed a YouTube video on winching and read some comments/responses/feedback. The one comment (not from me) which I quoted I thought was especially informative. I thought, "hey, this might be good information to share on Wayalife." So I did. End of story.

jkjurny

I think that the clarity that the feedback provided was not yours, but another completely different viewers comment on that video really helps clarify the intent of the OPs purpose.

Thanks for the clarification.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
:cheesy: LOL!! Okay, guess I read your post totally wrong. I was under the impression that you left the comment on YouTube and were posting it up here for us to see. :crazyeyes:

jk12blk

:cheesy: LOL!! Okay, guess I read your post totally wrong. I was under the impression that you left the comment on YouTube and were posting it up here for us to see. :crazyeyes:
Yeah, that was not the case at all. I realized my original post was misintpreted and I could have worded it better. Lesson learned: have at least one cup of coffee before posting. :yup:

Top Bottom