Rock slider questions! Help please. :)

daverawr

So went wheeling this past Saturday in my 2011 JKUR and the NFAB nerf sliders i got with the car lets say didnt hold up ( mall rated more than trail rated i guess) .... they got dented and bent up and ending up dimpling the bottom of the rocker panel in certain spots. I was worried about these steps before going because of how the steps are placed i knew the steps were going to get caught on something or they were going to make a problem somehow and i tried to get a trade + cash for other sliders but couldnt so 1 day before going on this wheeling trip i thought "hey its a 101 class im going to nothing will happen"...... i should have knocked on wood.

So looking into some new sliders.
A guy within the group, one of the instructors showed me his set up, i liked it alot.

He had a double combo of the Rubi Rails and Ace sliders that were bolted up.
I loved it! one, because with the rubi rails, it would mask the dimples. caused by the NFAB Nerf steps
and then adding a second line of protection if in worst case scenario the Ace ones want to do the same thing
AND i found someone local with Rubi Rails, (scratched slightly but idc will strip the paint and bedline then paint the color i wish to have before install) for $50.00 so leaning more twords the double up idea. and $50.00 is alot cheaper than those Rocker guards which are in the range of $200-300+

But i love the look of the Evo Mfg rock sliders are. they look super heavy duty and hardcore. but from what i saw on north ridge 4x4 are for a weld-on installation. and dont know if i can use the Rubi sliders are able to fit with these installed.

Another one i like the look of was the LoD signature series. due to the step look. etc. but i know a Rubi rail will not be able to fit with this on.

SO for my questions

1. Is welding on sliders better or is bolting on sliders better. and why?
2. What sliders can be doubled with the Rubi sliders. ?
3. What sliders would you get and why?

Thanks in advance. :) also anything i missed that i might need to look into? Please let me know!

Sorry if my wording is confusing or im not using the right termenology for things.... still getting use to this jeep "wayalife" ;)

Sharkey

Word Ninja
The ACE sliders will bend your Rubi sliders into the tub and give you more dimples.

Weld on are stronger than bolt on. If you want weld on, I'd get EVO sliders.

If you want bolt on with a step, I'd go with LoD.

Stay away from tub mounted sliders.

Last edited:

daverawr

The ACE sliders will bend your Rubi sliders into the tub and give you more dimples.

Weld on are stronger than bolt on. I've you want weld on, I'd get EVO sliders.

If you want bolt on with a step, I'd go with LoD.

Stay away from tub mounted sliders.

Would i be able to run the Rubi rails with the Evo sliders? For cool factor since i will be painting the rubi rails to a color of preference and a little bit of security till i can afford some skins

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Would i be able to run the Rubi rails with the Evo sliders? For cool factor since i will be painting the rubi rails to a color of preference and a little bit of security till i can afford some skins

No the Rubi sliders will not fit. The Evo sliders are so strong that you wouldn't need to Rubi rails anyway.

Also the Evo sliders can be ordered with a "custom" angle to create a step. That's how I have mine and I really like it. Also it makes putting the skins on at a later date a LOT easier since you have room to work with.

daverawr

No the Rubi sliders will not fit. The Evo sliders are so strong that you wouldn't need to Rubi rails anyway.

Also the Evo sliders can be ordered with a "custom" angle to create a step. That's how I have mine and I really like it. Also it makes putting the skins on at a later date a LOT easier since you have room to work with.

Hm. In that case. Have you or anyone used or heard of the Evo Pro series boatside bomber.??? On NR4x4 the package for the Sliders and Skin is $20.00 more than the boatside bombers at $749.00 although the Sliders will allow me to save up the $$ to get the skins at a later date. while the boatside bombers are only sold in a set.. Wondering if the bombers are better than the sliders. just means ill have to wait till money is sufficient to get those. havent seen many with them.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Hm. In that case. Have you or anyone used or heard of the Evo Pro series boatside bomber.??? On NR4x4 the package for the Sliders and Skin is $20.00 more than the boatside bombers at $749.00 although the Sliders will allow me to save up the $$ to get the skins at a later date. while the boatside bombers are only sold in a set.. Wondering if the bombers are better than the sliders. just means ill have to wait till money is sufficient to get those. havent seen many with them.

I like the sliders and skins separate and don't really like the look of the boat sliders. I think the sliders separate from the skins protects everything better as well.

Here is a pic of the custom angle you can order thru off road evolution
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1439200961.452892.jpg .
After initial install before skins
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1439201093.163336.jpg .
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1439201110.513358.jpg .
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1439201127.885430.jpg .

CREEPR

I am leaning the other way. I will be getting the bombers as soon as they come out for a 2 door. Love the look and the step it provides. I'd say with evo either way you go will be stout.

BlackHawk08jk

I would go with weld on for sure. And the Evo sliders will not let you down. If it was me I wouldn't waste the money on any thing else.

BlackHawk08jk

The bombers are sturdy but will not be as strong as the sliders they are 2 different styles of setup and the sliders are the stronger of the 2. That's not saying they won't take the abuse.

Rccrwlr

Pretty sure Mel is running the boat side sliders on Evolander. Check out FB and IG. He's been posting a bunch there.

Irish JK

Caught the Bug
I have personally seen the EVO Pro Series Boatside Bombers take some pretty serious hits. There's no question the original EVO sliders still offer more protection, but I would not hesitate to recommend the Pro Series. I would recommend getting the Black Ice protection panels if you do decide to go that route.

daverawr

I am leaning the other way. I will be getting the bombers as soon as they come out for a 2 door. Love the look and the step it provides. I'd say with evo either way you go will be stout.

I agree I love the look of the bombers and personally haven't seen a lot of JKU with them. Unique.

I would go with weld on for sure. And the Evo sliders will not let you down. If it was me I wouldn't waste the money on any thing else.

I have heard of Weld ons being a problem with the load it puts on the frame ? I don't know how true this is. But I have also heard a lot of people saying weld on is the only way to go

I have personally seen the EVO Pro Series Boatside Bombers take some pretty serious hits. There's no question the original EVO sliders still offer more protection, but I would not hesitate to recommend the Pro Series. I would recommend getting the Black Ice protection panels if you do decide to go that route.

Will deffonately look into the protection panels.

I like the sliders and skins separate and don't really like the look of the boat sliders. I think the sliders separate from the skins protects everything better as well.

Here is a pic of the custom angle you can order thru off road evolution
View attachment 159198 .
After initial install before skins
View attachment 159199 .
View attachment 159200 .
View attachment 159201 .

The custom angle is only available directly from EVO ? And one other question.. You didn't have to raise the body off the frame to install the skin after installing the sliders ? Read of that. ? Or is that only a problem with the regular sliders and not the custom angle ones ?

Like many of my decisions on Jeep parts.... I labored on the sliders.

I went far longer than I should have with the stock Rubi rails. I honestly feel I got away with it because they fit up so high and tight that they don't get used as often and the frame tended to hit more. There were several spots where I had been with guys that used their sliders (hard) and I only barely touched the Rubi rails.

So, based on this I wanted to keep my sliders high. I like the Pure Jeep body mounted ones (which attach to the body). I had seen them take some impressive blows and they mount really high.

Unfortunately, after all my overthinking I purchased the JCR "equivalent" on a whim. I would not go this route again. The tube is VERY thin and dents far more easily than it should. The have also allowed for some body deflection toward the rear fender and bottom of the door.

If EVO had released their new boat sides before I went with the JCR I definitely would have tried them.

I know this doesn't really answer any of your questions, but I thought I would share. Perhaps there is some useful information in there somewhere ;)

BlackHawk08jk

daverawr;564216 I have heard of Weld ons being a problem with the load it puts on the frame ? I don't know how true this is. But I have also heard a lot of people saying weld on is the only way to go ?[/QUOTE said:
It is possible on some of the older ones as they didn't have a fully boxed in frame like the jk. So you really don't need to worry about it with the jk.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I The custom angle is only available directly from EVO ? And one other question.. You didn't have to raise the body off the frame to install the skin after installing the sliders ? Read of that. ? Or is that only a problem with the regular sliders and not the custom angle ones ?

Yes the custom angle is only available thru EVO directly.

No I didn't have to raise the body at all. On the regular sliders you may have to raise it to reach some of the bolts but not with the angle.

The best part of the custom angle is the slight step it creates. My ex-gf really needed a step so I got them for her but I also like the look of the custom angle over the normal angle better anyway.

daverawr

Yes the custom angle is only available thru EVO directly.

No I didn't have to raise the body at all. On the regular sliders you may have to raise it to reach some of the bolts but not with the angle.

The best part of the custom angle is the slight step it creates. My ex-gf really needed a step so I got them for her but I also like the look of the custom angle over the normal angle better anyway.

Well then. For price and being able to buy the skins separately so I can save money till I can afford the skins. I'll go with the custom angle sliders. But I'm going to look into somehow getting some type of grip out of sheet metal made and tack welded on there or find an alternative to that. Maybe just some adhesive grip tape or something since the sliders are smooth. Gotta give something on there so my gf can use it. She's around 5'4 so yeah. Haha 😂

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Well then. For price and being able to buy the skins separately so I can save money till I can afford the skins. I'll go with the custom angle sliders. But I'm going to look into somehow getting some type of grip out of sheet metal made and tack welded on there or find an alternative to that. Maybe just some adhesive grip tape or something since the sliders are smooth. Gotta give something on there so my gf can use it. She's around 5'4 so yeah. Haha 😂

For the longest time I talked about putting a small strip of grip tape like I had on my skateboards on there but I never got around to doing it. Maybe a spray a small section of it with Bedliner even

daverawr

For the longest time I talked about putting a small strip of grip tape like I had on my skateboards on there but I never got around to doing it. Maybe a spray a small section of it with Bedliner even

Yeah. Either or. If my buddy who I will ask to weld them on for me can tack weld a metal strip with perforations etc. then that will be best so do have to worry about the grip tape peeling or don't have to bed line it. Or might do a self bed line on the whole thing and be done with it. Lol

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Yeah. Either or. If my buddy who I will ask to weld them on for me can tack weld a metal strip with perforations etc. then that will be best so do have to worry about the grip tape peeling or don't have to bed line it. Or might do a self bed line on the whole thing and be done with it. Lol

I wouldn't Bedliner the whole slider just cause it's going to get scraped off by rocks most likely anyway. If it doesn't then it will no slide as easy. I would literally just do the top section of it

Top Bottom