Diff covers

Gecko12

My rear differential has been dripping occasionally for awhile now. Knowing I need to replace the gasket I might as well throw a new diff cover on at the same time.

I have a 2012 Jeep JK 2 door with RK 2.5 (netted 3.5+) and a stock track bar with RK trackbar relocation bracket.

I'm looking for one that clears the stock trackball without modification.
Amy ideas??

Also what are everyone's opinion about using lube lockers vs RTV?

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
My rear differential has been dripping occasionally for awhile now. Knowing I need to replace the gasket I might as well throw a new diff cover on at the same time.

I have a 2012 Jeep JK 2 door with RK 2.5 (netted 3.5+) and a stock track bar with RK trackbar relocation bracket.

I'm looking for one that clears the stock trackball without modification.
Amy ideas??

Also what are everyone's opinion about using lube lockers vs RTV?

Front or rear diff cover?

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
With a raised track bar bracket most covers should fit I believe.

Go with RTV. I have a lube locker on my front and have to torque the bolts about once a week.

JeepinLife

Caught the Bug
I have always used "the right stuff" by permetax. Have never had a leak on any of the diffs I used it on.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Rear diff cover.

I have a RK front trackbar so clearance won't be an issue in the front.

The rear is fixable by just grinding down the lip of the cover a bit so it's less than the housing. This will help keeping it from leaking in the future.

As far as sealer goes get the "Right stuff" by permatex

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
With a raised track bar bracket most covers should fit I believe.

Go with RTV. I have a lube locker on my front and have to torque the bolts about once a week.

This ^^^

I have always used "the right stuff" by permetax. Have never had a leak on any of the diffs I used it on.

And this ^^^
The Right Stuff is what I would recommend using as well.

Also, you can always grind the edge of your diff cover so that it sits above the base of your diff housing. That will prevent it getting caught in the future and cause a leak.

Rccrwlr

The rear is fixable by just grinding down the lip of the cover a bit so it's less than the housing. This will help keeping it from leaking in the future.

As far as sealer goes get the "Right stuff" by permatex

This ^^^

And this ^^^

Also, you can always grind the edge of your diff cover so that it sits above the base of your diff housing. That will prevent it getting caught in the future and cause a leak.

This is what I did. It's really crazy that the factory didn't clearance the bottom of this cover. All sides with the exception of he bottom lip of the rear cover are clearanced by about 1/16 to 1/8. Why they didn't extend that all the way around is weird.

Peak

This ^^^

And this ^^^

The right stuff comes in a grey and black, which one do you use Eddie?

Top Bottom