3.8L yay or nay?

BABOOZLE

Caught the Bug
I've been looking at an 08' Rubicon with the 3.8 and I don't know much about that engine. I've heard a couple negative comments like oil consumption and low power. Is it a doable power plant or should it be avoided at all costs?

BABOOZLE

Caught the Bug
I've owned a 4.0, 2.5 and even a 1.3L in a Samurai. I don't need the Jeep to be a race car or tow 10k lbs. It's a Jeep and I just need it to be reliable and a solid performer.

mcsjk

I've put 100,000 miles on my 3.8 and it has done everything I have needed it to do. It can eat oil but it has not been nearly bad enough to stay away from it.

shawnr

My 07 is approaching 100K, and it's been a great Jeep. The only major issue was I had to replace a coil pack a little over a year ago. Mine doesn't burn much oil like others have, and is my DD. I've driven it across this country, on and off the beaten path. I don't expect it to perform like a sports car or a 1ton truck. It's a Jeep. The 3.8 doesn't bother me, and the motor has been around a very long time. You can find parts for it almost anywhere. I've never driven a 3.6 but I'm sure they are as good as everyone says they are. But I've invested a lot of time and money in my 07 and plan to keep it a very long time.

Jgarch

I had almost 150k on my 3.8. The only engine related issue was the intake manifold gasket started leaking around 125k. Solid engine.

Shadow's_Jeep

Caught the Bug
My 09 3.8 has never given me any problems. And does not burn oil. The 3.8 is prone to having the exhaust manifold crack.

Last edited:

robx251

Caught the Bug
I have 92000 on my 2010 2 door and it does use about a quart of oil every 2500-3000 miles its my dad and I wheel it when I can. I do miss my 4.0 in my old YJ purely for the torque curve is very different and I love the sound of the i6 over the minivan v6 now in the jeep.

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
I just drove JK07s 3.8 the other day, if he didnt tell me it had over 120k or something like that, I would have never known.

Shantz

I have an 07 with 167,000 miles on it. Runs great after all the fixes. Before I got it last year, the guy I bought it from, had to get the heads shaved at 108,000 miles. The first thing I had to do was rebuilt the manual trans... popping out of 1st gear issues.

Since then, I put about 25,000 miles on it with no problems. I'm running 35's with 410 gears. I have awesome power, and only add a quart of oil every 3-4 thousand miles... with a little Mystery Oil in between.

I think it depends largely on where you live.

The wife's Jeep has the 3.8L and it does okay for what we need around here. It is a little doggy when compared to my Jeep with the 3.6L. To my point though: I couldn't understand why so many were ditching the 3.6L and going straight to V8s until I was out west. On long grades and hills my Jeep ran out of steam, there is no way I would be happy with a 3.8L there. In fact, If I lived out there I would definitely be in it for an engine swap.

....but I'd like to see and Ford 3.5L eco-boost swap. My company car (14' Ford Explorer) has the non-boosted 3.5L and it runs great, and gets 24 MPG doing it!

Jitzoo

I only have about 33k miles on my 08 so I can't really comment on longevity. I live in a mountainous area, and it blows IMO.

Even when I go to the desert to go wheeling, the drive to get there is a bear. I wish I had the funds to make it a trailer queen, or get a Hemi conversion. The lack of power reminds me of my old 4 banger Ford Ranger in high school.

I obviously didn't buy a Jeep because it's a race car...just wouldn't mind being able to keep up with the Toyota Tercel up a grade.

Top Bottom