just bought 75 CJ5

Helipilot2

Alright guys I have never owned a carbureted vehicle and have now found myself owning one :doh: I am just wondering what are the main issues I am going to run into and need to watch out for? Its only got about 5k on rebuilt 304 so fresh engine, rebuilt tranny, full top and bikini top, winch, 4:88 gears and its been family owned. Bought from my Uncle. Super excited to be picking this jeep up next month and finally rejoin the jeep world after about 4 years when I sold my other jeep to pay for schooling.

Rccrwlr

Alright guys I have never owned a carbureted vehicle and have now found myself owning one :doh: I am just wondering what are the main issues I am going to run into and need to watch out for? Its only got about 5k on rebuilt 304 so fresh engine, rebuilt tranny, full top and bikini top, winch, 4:88 gears and its been family owned. Bought from my Uncle. Super excited to be picking this jeep up next month and finally rejoin the jeep world after about 4 years when I sold my other jeep to pay for schooling.

Need pics of this one! I have a 79' cj5 with a 360 and went with fuel injection. Carb sucked off road and on inclines. Was a beast to cold start as well.

Do you have smog laws to deal with? If not pm me and we can discuss the 4 bbl carb I took off.

Helipilot2

Need pics of this one! I have a 79' cj5 with a 360 and went with fuel injection. Carb sucked off road and on inclines. Was a beast to cold start as well.

Do you have smog laws to deal with? If not pm me and we can discuss the 4 bbl carb I took off.

Yea I plan on swapping engines at some point to probably a 4bt if it will fit. Good thing is Vegas doesnt really have cold starts even in the winter lol. I shouldnt have to worry about smog out here since its such an old vehicle, i should be able to insure it as a classic vehicle and classics dont require smog. Just have to make sure i dont exceed 5k miles per year which shouldnt be hard since I am not planning any long road trips with it lol.

Helipilot2

What still no pics?! Pics or it didn't happen as we say around here!

Ha yea Ive seen that many times in other threads, Ill get pics once its here in Vegas. Still trying to figure out how I am going to get it here. Uhaul is crazy expensive and I dont really want to drive it that far with a top speed of 50-55 lol. Might end up getting ran over by a semi truck

Rccrwlr

Ha yea Ive seen that many times in other threads, Ill get pics once its here in Vegas. Still trying to figure out how I am going to get it here. Uhaul is crazy expensive and I dont really want to drive it that far with a top speed of 50-55 lol. Might end up getting ran over by a semi truck

This is the reason we still have 3:?? Gears in ours but over the rubicon the 4:88 would have been nice!

RMC2

Caught the Bug
Love it. I have an 85 CJ7 in storage. It costs me $20 a year to own it (tagged but no insurance). I don't know if a fuel injection swap would be worth it on the 304. I would think ls3 or even an old small block 350 over the diesel, but enjoy it no matter how you roll.

Rccrwlr

Love it. I have an 85 CJ7 in storage. It costs me $20 a year to own it (tagged but no insurance). I don't know if a fuel injection swap would be worth it on the 304. I would think ls3 or even an old small block 350 over the diesel, but enjoy it no matter how you roll.

I will say the fuel injection is so worth it!

Helipilot2

Why would you not find it worth it on the 304? Its $1500 for the full kit to convert to fuel injection and save a lot of head aches on the trail. At some point it will be a complete trail rig with dana 60s front and rear. Yea a 350 or 302 wouldnt be bad motors to swap into it. Being a brand new engine tho I hate to swap it out.

Helipilot2

Just found out it arrives on the 10th!! Oh yea, and it has a 2 barrel carb

Top Bottom