5.3 LS & Saharacon

Saharacon

Edit let's try this again

Here's the run down. I own a 2010 Sahara which we have given the name saharacon.

Mostly a daily driver and weekend Warrior but I really enjoy the 4 door body and look of the JK. I'm going to build a 5.3 LMG and drop it in probably 5-7 years from now. (I set long term goals)

I've been speaking to a few guys like Vegas robbie and it seems I'm at a fork in the road.

I'm having problems finding solid information about if I could run a dana 30 with a 5.3 ls.

Now I've been finding that a 44 front and 60 rear will work great for my plans and driving style. I'm not crazy off roading but enjoy the bragging rights I've earned so far (;

Would a dana 30 and dana 60 be able to coexist until I can come up with the 5 extra grand for Pro rock dana 44

I also suppose I could find a junkyard 14bolt and rebuild it but I'm not exactly experienced in that field. I'd need the help of my fellow jeepers to get everything in order

Thanks
Kyle

Last edited:

jeeeep

Hooked
Edit let's try this again

Here's the run down. I own a 2010 Sahara which we have given the name saharacon.

Mostly a daily driver and weekend Warrior but I really enjoy the 4 door body and look of the JK. I'm going to build a 5.3 LMG and drop it in probably 5-7 years from now. (I set long term goals)

I've been speaking to a few guys like Vegas robbie and it seems I'm at a fork in the road.

I'm having problems finding solid information about if I could run a dana 30 with a 5.3 ls.

Now I've been finding that a 44 front and 60 rear will work great for my plans and driving style. I'm not crazy off roading but enjoy the bragging rights I've earned so far (;

Would a dana 30 and dana 60 be able to coexist until I can come up with the 5 extra grand for Pro rock dana 44

I also suppose I could find a junkyard 14bolt and rebuild it but I'm not exactly experienced in that field. I'd need the help of my fellow jeepers to get everything in order

Thanks
Kyle

well, I would say it really depends on your driving style but I wouldn't.

I suppose as long as you didn't lock the front you might be ok as the 60 could do all the heavy lifting but. it would also depend on what tires/gearing you plan on running. So even if you were having a heavy foot day you could still supply too much torque to the D30 and cause damage.

I'm also planning on an LS upgrade but I'm working from the axles up. So far I've replaced the front with a PR44 and will replace the rear with a trail 60 hopefully by the end of the year. Then it's on to a 5.3 or 6.0LS swap. I don't drive crazy but I do know I'd probably have a bit of fun with more ponies at my disposal :rock:

When I was at Easter Jeep Safari last year there was a Jeep in our group that had a V8 and D30 front, he was having a hard time getting up a ledge and gave it a bump and that's all it took. He got up and over but as soon as the front grabbed hold I heard the thud, he came to a stand still and I could see the fluid coming out of the diff, the DS also broke. They guy was being heavy footed during the run so I wasn't surprised he broke something.

I guess with any setup the front is always more prone to damage as it's more likely to get off the ground and when it makes contact with a dry surface and grabs hold that's a lot of force... :thinking:

Saharacon

Thanks for the fast response. I forgot to mention plans for tires and wheel size. Currently I run 35x12.5x15 I'd like to bump up to 37 roughly and get larger rims. I was thinking of going to 5.38s in the front Dana 30 if I were to keep it.

You are 100% correct about the priorities. I need to focus on Axle upgrade then look at the 5.3 swap.

I guess the real big question is if I should build my own Dana 60 or just hawk over the 4Gs to have a full axle assembly .

I could likely source a used dana 44 from a rubi and then rebuild to specs I desire. I'd need to learn more on axles and suspension but not impossible.

Have you any experience with the Artic Mounts for the 14 bolt gm 1tons? I was thinking or sourcing one of these for my axle housing

Saharacon

Thanks creepr I'm going to get a dana 44 front and dana 60 rear. I like the options and so far prices aren't extreme.

If I could find a oem dana 44 this would be cheaper. But should I do like the idea of having a strong dana 44 upfront. I'd still run 5.38s on 37s with 17" rims

CREEPR

Thanks creepr I'm going to get a dana 44 front and dana 60 rear. I like the options and so far prices aren't extreme.

If I could find a oem dana 44 this would be cheaper. But should I do like the idea of having a strong dana 44 upfront. I'd still run 5.38s on 37s with 17" rims

OEM Dana 44 is just a larger housing d30. I plan to go prorock 44s front and pro rock 60 in the rear. Saving my pennies now. :)

Benito

Caught the Bug

with the extra torque of the motor i don't think you will need to go all the way to 5.38's, you could probably be comfortable with 4.88's or less. just a thought

Sithwindu

with the extra torque of the motor i don't think you will need to go all the way to 5.38's, you could probably be comfortable with 4.88's or less. just a thought

This ^^^

And just to add some perspective, on the latest wayalife video moochie ran Devils canyon on Dana 44's and a 5.3 if I remember correctly

Moochie

This ^^^

And just to add some perspective, on the latest wayalife video moochie ran Devils canyon on Dana 44's and a 5.3 if I remember correctly

I still had my 3.8 on this run. It didn't last to much longer after this. I think it died on my next trip.
I have a ProRock 44 up front and still running with a stock 44 in the rear with 5:13's.

Saharacon

Thanks everyone I've bee reading and talking to a few other local Jeepers / 4x4ers thoughts on Axle gears as well. The 4.88 does seem to be a much better suited ratio for my rig.

Now I'm liking what I'm hearing about the Dana 44s standing up to a 5.3.

Budget wise I've got about 10 grand for the Axle set up. I'm liking the EastcostsGS Dana 44 with truss and armor Arb lockers Rcv-35 Spline and 4.88 gears for $5.5k

My rear will be a G2 Rock jock Dana 60 with arb lockers and 4.88 gears to match. $3.5k

I'm roughly at $9k right now. I don't know if I'll need a buddy to help or a shop. I'd assume they would be bolt on bolt off

tsweet

I just got done with my build. 5.3 LC9 and 6L80. I also had an atlas 4 speed. Way too low now. But oh well. I also went PR60/80 combo and 5.13 gears. Those are plenty. As a matter of fact I smoked a F-150 with 33"s. That combo seems to be perfect for me.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1439342614.127425.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1439342635.733282.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1439342653.021265.jpg

From what I was told when I got my kit from Robbie is to not think of a 6.0 and do either a 5.3 or a 6.2.

But I have been extremely happy with mine and his customer service although sometimes slow and difficult ended up being good in the end.

Saharacon

That's what robs been saying to me as well the bolt on for the 5.3 are area dime a dozen and I can easily achieve 400+ down the road.

I really like your axle set up. I wish I had yhe money to dish out on prorocks. But I doubt my credit card company would ever let me forget it lol

tsweet

That's what robs been saying to me as well the bolt on for the 5.3 are area dime a dozen and I can easily achieve 400+ down the road.

I really like your axle set up. I wish I had yhe money to dish out on prorocks. But I doubt my credit card company would ever let me forget it lol

Lol. I will be paying mine for a while to come yet. We put mine on the dump and did low speed pulls, 1st and 2nd gears only. Had just about equal hp/torque numbers. 275. When they did he street tune they obviously couldn't get numbers but based on there experience with the LS platform the guys figured that I would be putting out to the rear wheels just north of 300 for both hp/torque. And they figured about 30% loss. So that would be around 390 or so at the motor.

Saharacon

Does anyone see issues with running a OEM 44 up front that I can slowly build up as funds become available then have a G2 Rock Jock with detroit lockers in the rear? Gears would all go to 4.88.

I found a brand new crate dana 44 for 2k

Saharacon

Dynatrac Trail Series 60 Rear Axle Assemblies with Detroit Locker.

How do you all feel about going with these for my rear. I don't understand the difference between Trail and Heavy Duty but it's a Dyntrac Dana 60 gota be good to go?

What gear ratio should I really be choosing here? I enjoy the thought of 5.13s but looking at the Gear Ratio Chart 4.88 would be a better choice?

I drive a lot of Highway almost all hallway. I'm right of M5 and can hop on 696, I96, I75, or M15 with ease.

I enjoy my 35s but I'd like to raise the entire jeep 2 more inches bringing her to 6 Inch lift. Then I'd slap 37s on

Top Bottom