Oil leak help

mackey

I have a 2013 JKU automatic with 20k miles. I have the EVO Protek skid system. The oil pan skid has been on about 6 months with no issues. A couple days ago I noticed oil drips on the garage floor. Looked under the jeep and the oil pan skid has a good amount of oil on it. The inside area near the drain hole is wet. The two bolts closest to the drain hole (see picture) have oil on them. I'm not quite sure where the leak is coming from. Here are some thoughts.

- I could re-torque the bolts around the oil pan. Will make sure not to over tighten.

- could tighten the drain plug. Doesn't appear to be the issue though.

- perform oil change. take off the oil pan skid and oil pan. Put in a new gasket, put pan and skid back on and hope it solves it.

- or being very careful, remove oil pan skid plate, leaving the oil in. Then tighten bolts and try to determine where the leak is coming from. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1439413607.760883.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1439413644.058757.jpg

I already wiped off most of the oil from the skids but the pics will show the two bolts that have most of the oil on them.

scull20

Step one: check your oil level to make sure it's not low.

Then...I would check the torque on the bolts for the pan first...retorque as required and see if that solves the problem.

If it's still leaking after that then you could explore other issues. You could always remove the skid and take it to the dealer to let them resolve it being you're under warranty.

jeeeep

Hooked
when did you do the last oil change? I'd check the oil plug and the oil filter, make sure it's seated properly.

mackey

when did you do the last oil change? I'd check the oil plug and the oil filter, make sure it's seated properly.

I changed the oil at 15k miles. I am due for the 20k mile oil change.

I plan on starting with re-torquing everything. I am worried the dealership will flag my jeep due to all the mods on it. I definitely will remove the skids if I indeed do take it to the dealership. I am sure they would blame the oil pan skid if they could.

Jk909

I thought mine was leaking from down by the drain plug. It ended up being a cracked oil filter housing. It's a big problem in the 2012+ jk's

mackey

So I re-torqued all the bolts. I was shocked how loose they were. Does anyone ever use loc-tite?

I hope this was the cause. I will know in the next day or so.

Saharacon

So I re-torqued all the bolts. I was shocked how loose they were. Does anyone ever use loc-tite?

I hope this was the cause. I will know in the next day or so.

Yes i do on ever bolt I take off on my jeep. I abuse her often and Issues like this can cause big headaches on the trails.

Id check your oil levels first before calling it good. Maybe give her an early oil change and see how she likes the tight bolts.

And to answer your question yea.... the dealerships don't like mods. they'll blame it on you

Top Bottom