New tires now drifts to the left

Just upgraded to 35" tires today. Now the jeep drifts to the left. Not drastic just an ever so casual drift. I checked my toe in and it's 1/4". From reading Eddie's write up it should be 1/16 to 1/8". I would think with that much toe in it wouldn't drift. Anyone have this happen or know what the issue might be?

BitBucket

Just upgraded to 35" tires today. Now the jeep drifts to the left. Not drastic just an ever so casual drift. I checked my toe in and it's 1/4". From reading Eddie's write up it should be 1/16 to 1/8". I would think with that much toe in it wouldn't drift. Anyone have this happen or know what the issue might be?

Are they Nittos?

Sporadic

My 35" (nitto) tires began tracking to the left but not until I added coil spacers. Apparently the larger tires are known for this trait.

I took my JK in to have the tires rotated and balanced and ended up getting an alignment done as well. The shop struggled with it for a few hours but finally fixed the pulling issue.

My 35" (nitto) tires began tracking to the left but not until I added coil spacers. Apparently the larger tires are known for this trait.

I took my JK in to have the tires rotated and balanced and ended up getting an alignment done as well. The shop struggled with it for a few hours but finally fixed the pulling issue.

I've thought about getting an alignment but from everything I've read on this site all the can do on a jk is center the steering wheel and adjust the toe. Which I can do both of those.

mo0s3

Mine does the same but to the right, I have 35" Toyo A/T MT.
It did not pull until I went from 33 - 35
The alignment people said it is common. I verified that is is 1/8 tow in so I dunno what to do as well

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Are they Nittos?

LOL!! I was just about to ask the same thing :cheesy:

shadowpaige64507, what you're seeing is sometimes referred to as radial pull and with a set of Trail Grapplers, a pull to the left is totally normal.

Oh yeah, not just you. ALL the Trail Grapplers I've ever run have done this and everyone I know with them, it does this to them.

I'm guessing the pros of the tires outweigh this issue, being you run these tires? I really can't believe how quiet these tires are. I assume they will get louder with more miles.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I'm guessing the pros of the tires outweigh this issue, being you run these tires? I really can't believe how quiet these tires are. I assume they will get louder with more miles.

If you make sure to rotated them once ever 3k, they will stay quite or, for the most part anyway. Any MT will get louder with more wear.

NevadaZielmeister

Caught the Bug
Well, I feel better that it's not just me.

Well when I read this thread, I got super excited because as a newbie, I rarely can contribute to others. However, in this case, I have years of suspension experience and certification.

What we are all seeing regarding "pull" is the adjustment of the ride height, which changes how your "steering axis inclination" affects the tire weight on the road. Because of the increased tire height, the amount of scrub radius (or contact patch as it relates to the SAI) is changed. This change in scrub radius requires a change to your suspension angles. I suspect this is one of the reasons you see offsetting with tires and such, to help correct for the changed scrub radius. I did a little searching and if you will forgive me Eddie, there is a great writeup here from another forum:

jeepforum.com/forum/f9/end-all-all-tj-alignment-thread-long-read-663777

Long story short, you just get used to it because it is not a huge deal. I agree with Eddie that you do not want to start changing much else with camber/caster kits. They are kinda hookie and with the added stresses of off-roading, would cause more problems than they are helping.

Top Bottom