Video - Ball Joint Axial Movement

GuillaumeC91

Hey guys,

I posted in another thread a while back about a steering wheel shimmy, and what to look at. I didn't get much feedback, but after searching for a few threads, I landed on some posts that helped me out.

What I found was axial movement on my front ball joints. This isn't causing Death Wobble yet... but causes a steering wheel shimmy and some unpleasant noise when hitting bumps, etc.

I thought I would:

1. Provide video comparison for anybody else troubleshooting this.
  2. Ask for some input regarding the "play" in the axle. Is an additional unit bearing replacement a good idea at this point?

Video Here:

Cheers,

RMC2

Caught the Bug
Looks like worn ball joints to me. The play at the axle looks like the same problem, but was hard to tell. The is a how to some where (I think Eddy posted it) for checking the play in the ball joints and the unit bearing.

GuillaumeC91

This is the sticky for death wobble but shows how to check the ball joints.

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?...s-What-it-isn-t-and-What-You-Can-Do-to-Fix-it

Yup, this is what I eventually landed on and this is how I checked the ball joint. You don't see it in the video but the ball joint moving is the result of me lifting the tire with a pry bar. The ball joint is 100% shot, I'm just wondering if the axle should be moving that much (toward the end of the video) when the wheel is lifted, the axle itself comes up and down...

My assumption here is that the ball joint developed enough play to start messing with the unit bearing.

GuillaumeC91

Found this one. It is for unit bearing replacement, but touches on checking it. You can do the ball joints and then check the unit bearings after. I think the movement is the ball joints as the look pretty worn. Would be a great time to install c gussets too.

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?19332-Jeep-JK-Wrangler-Unit-Bearing-Replacement-Write-Up

Nice, I think that's what I need. I may need to invest in a dial gauge! I just did the rear end bearings and seals, so it might be a good idea to go all around anyway.

Since there's visual signs of play, I'm just wondering if someone will chime in telling me to replace it ASAP. :p

GuillaumeC91

The unit bearing in question was bad enough that I could make it move just by rocking by hand it at the 12 and 6 position. However, if you jack up your wheel so that it's just off the ground, you can use a prybar to lift up on the tire to create the same movement.

Alright, I think I have my answer. Eddy describes exactly what is visible in the video. So I guess here is what I need:

1. 2x Timken Hub Assemblies
  2. 1x Synergy or equivalent Ball Joint kit (I'm thinking about going with Alloy USA)

Top Bottom