No sway bar?

JK2DR

Just curious on this, Ive been daily driving my jeep for about 4 months now with my sway bar links disco'd and thought about just completely taking the sway bar off.
Anybody done this? Or is this a bad idea?

Wethy

Just curious on this, Ive been daily driving my jeep for about 4 months now with my sway bar links disco'd and thought about just completely taking the sway bar off.

im not speaking from experience but in my opinion it could be very bad. the sway bar stiffens up the body roll of the vehicle and if you had to make a quick maneuver it could cost you big time. especially if your rig is lifted as the center of gravity is higher. there was a thread on here regarding this topic before but i dont know where its gotten too. but basically it stated that even though you can, you shouldnt. imagine doing highway speeds then having to make a really fast lane change because something happened in front of you. the extra body roll might make a mess in your pants :cheesy:

im sure others will chime in but thats just my 2 cents

Edit: here is the thread i was talking about start at post #17
http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?29008-Quick-discos/page2

Last edited:

Saharacon

He's right, Its not smart and you are at more risk with it gone.

Now.. I don't run with them. I didn't feel like wasting time with quick disconnect links and quite frankly don't drive like a jack ass.

Im very conservative with my jeep High speeds are 70 and I stay in the slow lane. Ive made some pretty fast moves and driven the beast like she was my Z28 Ls1. She's sways a lot but i still feel very sturdy on the ground hitting round a bouts a 35 Mph before.
:rock:

JK2DR

Maybe its just me, but I really dont feel a huge difference with them on. Then again i only live 5 miles from work, so my daily drive is 5 miles on city streets.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
If you take some windy hills you will notice it. When I was driving today from one back road to the next I left my front disconnected and I could feel it on turns. There was way more body roll than normal. It was freaking me out a bit honestly especially over 35mph. Once I left the trails to head home I reconnected and it felt planted and firm again.

ERAUGrad04

Caught the Bug
I personally wouldn't run with them disconnected. I actually just had to do a pretty evasive maneuver earlier this evening at 70mph due to an accident occurring right ahead of me. I can assure you that the Jeep would have been considerably more squirrelly, bordering on dangerous, with no swaybar.

I dont see why with so many quick disconnect solutions on the market, someone would put their safety as risk by removing/running without a functioning sway bar.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

It'll only take one kid chasing after a ball and jumping out in front of you or a deer or a truck losing its load or cars in the process of wiping out for you to find out if this is a good idea. In a perfect world where sudden and dramatic maneuvering is never needed, yeah, you probably could get by just fine without your sway bar.

Tree Frog

All of the above plus
Think liability, in a fatal collision your vehicle will be examined.
Should it be determined that you intentionally removed a critical component of the vehicles as designed steering, well I could see a victims lawyer making a case out of it.

Your Jeep your rules but....

NevadaZielmeister

Caught the Bug
All of the above plus
Think liability, in a fatal collision your vehicle will be examined.
Should it be determined that you intentionally removed a critical component of the vehicles as designed steering, well I could see a victims lawyer making a case out of it.

Your Jeep your rules but....

What case would that be?

Think about it. If you, let's say lost control and rolled your vehicle, thus injuring a passenger. Whether your vehicle had a maintenance or alteration issue would be moot. Any allegation of punitive damages would have to be proven that you INTENTIONALLY wanted to crash and that you were wanton and reckless. That is a very high burden, one that most plaintiff lawyers are unwilling to try.

I have never seen any successful trial attempting punitive damages for such a matter. Usually punitive damages follow more obvious allegations (DUI, excessive speeding/racing, road rage, etc.)

ctznarcane

OMG!
BAD HORRIBLE IDEA!!

If you still are determined to run without it, do me a favor and post up some dash cam video of the moment it goes go wrong. :thumb:

David1tontj

In my experience, you really don't feel like they are needed until you are at highway speeds- then they are very noticeable. The higher the jeep, the worse it is. I broke a sway bar mount while wheeling in California and had a 10 hour drive home with no sway bar.... That'll keep you awake!

The normal corners etc aren't really an issue if you're used to it since your jeep kind of loads up the suspension as you go into the corner- it's the fast wheel jerk to avoid something at highway speed that could easily flip your rig. Scary stuff.

Also- way worse the heavier your rig gets imo. Might seem okay to you on your empty jeep 5 mile drive to work. Now load that jeep up with camping gear and friends and head out for the weekend.... Big difference.

Just get some discos

JK2DR

In my experience, you really don't feel like they are needed until you are at highway speeds- then they are very noticeable. The higher the jeep, the worse it is. I broke a sway bar mount while wheeling in California and had a 10 hour drive home with no sway bar.... That'll keep you awake!

The normal corners etc aren't really an issue if you're used to it since your jeep kind of loads up the suspension as you go into the corner- it's the fast wheel jerk to avoid something at highway speed that could easily flip your rig. Scary stuff.

Also- way worse the heavier your rig gets imo. Might seem okay to you on your empty jeep 5 mile drive to work. Now load that jeep up with camping gear and friends and head out for the weekend.... Big difference.

Just get some discos

I have discos already, just wanted to know if i could get rid of it all together, but now see its a bad idea.
I drove to moab from phoenix with the connected, then drive home with them disconnected. I could tell a difference then, but still nothing major

David1tontj

I have discos already, just wanted to know if i could get rid of it all together, but now see its a bad idea.
I drove to moab from phoenix with the connected, then drive home with them disconnected. I could tell a difference then, but still nothing major

Yeah- occasionally I'll make a drive with them disconnected for one reason or another- not the end of the world. I just definitely would not want someone else to drive it that way, and certainly wouldn't want to do it with a load.

If you already have them, they really aren't hurting anything to keep them. even if you scrapped them, you'd probably only save like 25 pounds. Not really worth it in most peoples opinion.

JK2DR

Yeah- occasionally I'll make a drive with them disconnected for one reason or another- not the end of the world. I just definitely would not want someone else to drive it that way, and certainly wouldn't want to do it with a load.

If you already have them, they really aren't hurting anything to keep them. even if you scrapped them, you'd probably only save like 25 pounds. Not really worth it in most peoples opinion.

Yeah after seeing what everyone else says ill go ahead and leave it on. Only takes a few mins to connect, not worth the danger to remove it.

RDE2ROK

I just finished a major build on my 2 dr and tried running without sway bars front & rear. After the first corner my wife flipped out!:eek: it was a bit scary! So I put some discos on the front but I don't run them on the rear and it handles just fine. It was a Huge difference putting them back on the front. I know a few other guys that don't run them on the rear. Just my:twocents:

David1tontj

I just finished a major build on my 2 dr and tried running without sway bars front & rear. After the first corner my wife flipped out!:eek: it was a bit scary! So I put some discos on the front but I don't run them on the rear and it handles just fine. It was a Huge difference putting them back on the front. I know a few other guys that don't run them on the rear. Just my:twocents:

I should've mentioned I have the same. Nothing in rear. If you tow, you will really feel it.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I honestly don't get the whole not running a sway bar in the rear. As if the factory rear sway bay will actually limit your flex or something. :naw:

Top Bottom