Lift Kit Help?

atjakream

I want to purchase a Teraflex Lift Kit and I am unsure of which one I need to buy. I want a 3" lift for 35"tires on my 2012 Sport JKU. Im going to get into wheeling as soon as I get the lift. Im looking at the Teraflex 3" lift with 8 flexarms, trackbar, and 9550 shocks. Is this a good purchase?
Im also going to purchase 4.56 gears. Is anyoone running this setup? Can anyone help me out? Im really new to this, thanks.

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
Welcome to WAL! If you like your current ride quality I suggest a 2.5" budget boost to fit 35s. Also, there is no need to replace all 8 of your control arms with just 3" of lift.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I want to purchase a Teraflex Lift Kit and I am unsure of which one I need to buy. I want a 3" lift for 35"tires on my 2012 Sport JKU. Im going to get into wheeling as soon as I get the lift. Im looking at the Teraflex 3" lift with 8 flexarms, trackbar, and 9550 shocks. Is this a good purchase?
Im also going to purchase 4.56 gears. Is anyoone running this setup? Can anyone help me out? Im really new to this, thanks.

Since you seem to be unaware, that 3" kit will yield you way over 4" of actual lift. This is WAY MORE than you need with just 35" tires. I should also note that of all the lifts I have installed and personally run, I have found TeraFlex coils to provide one of the stiffest rides. Also, the joints they use have a tendency to blow out. Just a few things you should be aware of.

As far as gears go, I personally would recommend you go up to 4.88 instead of 4.56. If you ever decide to go bigger, you'll be more closely setup for it and the RPM difference really isn't enough to matter. Also, you will have more power too.

mackey

Welcome to Wayalife. This forum has tons of experience so Id definitely seek as much advise as possible.

If you haven't already purchased your lift, I'd definitely check out other options than Teraflex. I had Teraflex's top notch LCG PreRunner 3" suspension kit. For a 3" kit, it sat really high. I had 37s and had no rubbing issues.

I absolutely hated their suspension. It was the stiffest most uncomfortable ride ever. My wife and kids did not want to ride in the Jeep. You will feel every bump. There was nothing "PreRunner" about it. If your set on the lift, I'd recommend using EVO's plush coils. It's a much more comfortable ride. Also don't let a salesperson sucker you into spending your hard earned money on TF's bump stops. If you want to know more, shoot me a PM.

atjakream

Since you seem to be unaware, that 3" kit will yield you way over 4" of actual lift. This is WAY MORE than you need with just 35" tires. I should also note that of all the lifts I have installed and personally run, I have found TeraFlex coils to provide one of the stiffest rides. Also, the joints they use have a tendency to blow out. Just a few things you should be aware of.

As far as gears go, I personally would recommend you go up to 4.88 instead of 4.56. If you ever decide to go bigger, you'll be more closely setup for it and the RPM difference really isn't enough to matter. Also, you will have more power too.

Will a 2.5" budget boost suffice? I would like to plan a trip to Moab once I complete my build. I'm super lost right now.

Last edited by a moderator:

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
Will a 2.5" budget boost suffice? I would like to plan a trip to Moab once I complete my build. I'm super lost right now.

Yes. One member recently completed a trip to Moab on 35s and a budget boost. I have a budget boost and 35s and if all you are looking for is to get 35s under your JK it is more than enough.

Just make sure to get a kit that includes bump stops, shock extentions and a rear track bar bracket.

10frank9

Web Wheeler
Explore your options. When I first got into a JK I too thought Teraflex was a good lift because they had such a big name, and Smittybuilt made good parts too right? WRONG.

Do yourself a favor and ride or drive in Jeeps with various lifts, Teraflex, Rock Krawler, EVO, etc. be your own judge. For me, and a lot of us here, the EVO Enforcer is the best quality, most complete lift for your money. It offers the best ride quality and is Made in the USA.

NevadaZielmeister

Caught the Bug
Explore your options. When I first got into a JK I too thought Teraflex was a good lift because they had such a big name, and Smittybuilt made good parts too right? WRONG.

Do yourself a favor and ride or drive in Jeeps with various lifts, Teraflex, Rock Krawler, EVO, etc. be your own judge. For me, and a lot of us here, the EVO Enforcer is the best quality, most complete lift for your money. It offers the best ride quality and is Made in the USA.

To add my newbie perspective, after a ton of research, I plan to go with the EVO kits. I agree with what Frank says here. Try them out, but also check out Eddie and Cindy's earlier videos. You can tell that his Jeeps seem to just handle things better when you compare. After watching hours of those videos, I was mostly convinced, riding in a friend's jeep, sealed the deal.

atjakream

I think I'm going to go with the Evo setup. So many people are saying that they're are the best. Thanks for the help. I'm glad I asked, I almost bought the Teraflex kit.

I think I'm going to go with the Evo setup. So many people are saying that they're are the best. Thanks for the help. I'm glad I asked, I almost bought the Teraflex kit.
That would be a solid choice. Im running their 3" enforcer w/ 35s and i freakin love it. Check out by build thread for pictures.

JAGS

Hooked
Everyone's said pretty much what's needed to be said. I was in the same situation of deciding on lifts. It really comes down to what you want your rig to be able to do.

Will a budget boost work for 35s? Sure will and will ride just like stock. If you're looking for that next level, then your into a spring and shock lift.

One thing I noticed when doing my own research is a lot of folks wanted to upgrade from a TF, RE or similar lift. What you rarely,if ever, see is folks wanting to upgrade from the Enforcer to say a rock krawler.

Top Bottom