Making Your Own Rubber Fiber Gasket for an Atlas Transfer Case

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
For most of the parts on your Jeep that require a gasket, the use of traditional RTV is more than adequate if not what would be actually be recommended for the job. However, when you start working with aftermarket components like an Atlas Transfer Case, you might find that a old school paper or what is sometimes referred to as a rubber fiber gasket is what you'll need. And, if you're in a pinch for time or just looking to save some money, here's a write-up that will help you to make your own.

What you will need
• Fel-Pro/10 x 26 x 1/32 in. rubber and fiber gasket material sheet
• Straight Edge
• Pencil
• Cutting Mat
• XACTO Knife

After finishing up a recent run up the Rubicon Trail, I noticed a small leak coming from our Atlas transfer case.
attachment.php

A closer look would reveal that the corner of the inspection cover plate got hit as did the bolt closest to it and that caused it to bend a bit.
attachment.php

Assuming that the leak was only coming from the bent bolt, I found a replacement and installed it along with some new RTV but realized soon after that the leak was still there. Being that it was so small, I've left well enough alone until I could find more time to work on it. Well, today I pulled the entire inspection cover to redo the gasket but found that Atlas uses a paper gasket for the inspection cover. Needless to say, the rest of this write up will be in regards to this project.
attachment.php

I would have just ordered a replacement gasket but, when I started this job, it was a Sunday and there was no way I would be getting anything anytime soon. So, I decided to do things the old school way and just make my own. After a quick trip to Autozone, I picked up a roll of Fel-Pro/10 x 26 x 1/32 in. rubber and fiber gasket material as well as some Permatex Ultra Blue RTV and got ready to go to work.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Instructions
1. Here's a shot of me using the cover plate to size up the gasket material I would need to cut and use.
attachment.php

2. Again, I used the cover plate as a template to draw up the gasket and location of the mounting holes.
attachment.php

3. After taking some measurements, I drew in the inner edge of the gasket.
attachment.php

4. Using an XACTO knife, I cut out the location of the mounting holes as well as the inner section to create the final gasket.
attachment.php

attachment.php

5. To start the re-installation of the inspection cover plate, I used 2 of the bolts to hold the plate and new gasket to the bottom of the Atlas.
attachment.php

6. I then applied some Ultra Blue RTV to the threads of the remaining bolts.
attachment.php

7. I then installing all the remaining bolts.
attachment.php

8. With all the bolts installed, I removed the 2 starter bolts, applied RTV to their threads and then reinstalled them.
attachment.php

9. After waiting for everything to dry, I tightened the bolts to torque spec, reinstall the drain plug and refilled the transfer case.

MattAlpha

Caught the Bug
Great write-up Eddie!

Thank you. I haven't done this for years. Cutting out the bolt holes is always a pain in the butt.

Top Bottom