Sizing bumpstops

Warebear

Hello all. So I am trying to decide how to measure the size bump stop I need. In my mind, I'm thinking that I'll flex until the tire gets close to rubbing anything, measure the distance that would be filled by said bumpstops, and get that length. Am I right?

Wethy

thats definitely one way to do it. I believe the general idea is to size bumps according to your lift in most cases. So a 2.5" lift would have 2.5" bump stops to prevent overcompressing the coil.i believe if your running a drag link flip you need atleast 3" bumps jn the front also. Im sure more experienced users will chime in though im still fairly new to solid axle lifts but have read a tonne and asked a tonne of questions myself ha ha :p

How much lift do you have now?

Warebear

Well I have the EVO leveling kit, which I believe is 2 in the front and 1 in the back? However I plan on running high clearance fenders and 37s, don't want them to rub anything

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Hello all. So I am trying to decide how to measure the size bump stop I need. In my mind, I'm thinking that I'll flex until the tire gets close to rubbing anything, measure the distance that would be filled by said bumpstops, and get that length. Am I right?

You want to run about the same bump stop extension as you have lift. Preventing rubbing at a full flex can be a perk of bump stop extensions but the primary purpose of them it to help prevent the over compression of your coils.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Well I have the EVO leveling kit, which I believe is 2 in the front and 1 in the back? However I plan on running high clearance fenders and 37s, don't want them to rub anything

Good luck with that! The lowest I could run 37's effectively and not rub much at a full flex is 3". You can run really tall bump stops but you won't have much stuff.

Benito

Caught the Bug
Since it came up in here is there any rule of thumb as to when a coil is over compressed? Like as long as the rings aren't touching it's fine or keep a minimum of x amount of space between the rings?

Wethy

Since it came up in here is there any rule of thumb as to when a coil is over compressed? Like as long as the rings aren't touching it's fine or keep a minimum of x amount of space between the rings?

I believe that depends on the manufacturer of the coil. I remember reading a companys site and they said you could go full coil bind(cant remember which one) and not over compress the coils. But i would imagine as long as they arent touching it should be fine though. Im sure eddie will be able to verify/explain better

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

Yes, with stock coils, you do NOT want to compress the coils anymore than they would at stock height. So, if you install 2.5" coil spacers. You should be running 2.5" bump stop extensions. If you get a good 3" lift kit, it should come with 3" bump stop extensions or there about. You can still over compress a coil EVEN IF they don't go solid (touch metal to metal). This is why when you see guys running taller coils without the proper bump stop extensions will later complain about how their Jeep no longer stands as tall as it used to or sags more than normal to one side. Coils can be made with a softer rate to prevent this and some manufacturers do it on purpose for at least part of the coil but, they do it more so that you won't lose your coil at a full droop and really, that part of the coil typically runs solid when on flat ground. The whole thing is really kind of stupid but, that's just me.

tharb5111

That's what I would do but with the intentions of running 35s

I just got my 35s. My intention was to keep it low as I can. And I am on tight budget and deep trouble with wife after this years mod expenses. 35s just arrived. So this thread is perfect timing.

So if I understand correctly:

I am putting 2 inch puck front. 1 inch rear. So I will need 2 inch bump stop extension front and 1 inch rear?

Also I am going to trim stock fenders flat.

Am I missing anything or will this be fine until I get my 2.5 inch lift next year?
thanks.guys. great thread and perfectly timed

Attachments

• 1439833721575.jpg
    1439833721575.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 92

tharb5111

Btw I get my d30 c gussets and axle reinforcement kit (synergy) and and 4.56s next week. So bumpstop extensions were something I didn't understand our think about in all of this.

So if I understand correctly:

I am putting 2 inch puck front. 1 inch rear. So I will need 2 inch bump stop extension front and 1 inch rear?

Also I am going to trim stock fenders flat.
that should be just fine until you upgrade your kit. Adding longer shock and going taller will mean needing more parts.

CrazyLarry

3" bump stops for 37s (with flat flares) no matter the lift size.

Eh yeah you can run 3" bumpstops with 37s and flats to be safe but you can run less with no rubbing.

REAR

Its very common to run 2" bumpstops in the rear with 37 and flat fenders with some basic trimming of the front and rear pinch seams. I run 37 mtrs (true to size) with no rubbing however I should add that I moved my rear axle back 1/2" to keep the tire more centered in the wheel well when at full bump. Before moving the axle back slightly I had to run 3" of bumpstop in the rear to keep the tire away from the fron part of the fenderwell even with trimmed pinch seams. I paid for my shocks i want to use all their travel

FRONT

As far as the front many guys running 37s have enough lift to warrant a draglink flip which requires 3" of bumpstop. Again not a fan of lost uptravel so i notched my frame and removed one of my hockey pucks so now im running 2" bumpstops in the front or 2 hockey pucks instead of 3. Shocks do not overcompress and the tires do not rub anywhere so 2" all around for me. If you do not have a draglink flip just run 2" of bumpstop assuming your shock wont overcompress. If you do have a draglink flip and dont want to notch your frame you will have to run 3" bumpstops

whatever you do make sure you dont overcompress your shocks. remember tire size and shock length will determine the amount of bumpstop you use

Last edited:
Top Bottom