Won't go forward in 4x4 high or low when I turn!?

Brod

As the title says jeep won't go forward when I turn (only in 4x4 )

Little about my jeep: 2014 jku 4" lift 35" 10xxxkm on it. Got it regeared with 4.88's about 1500km just got my fluids changed after break in period.

What would this be?

I'm jeep to the off road world I'm a bit of a nood.

Thanks for all your help
Brod

Brod

Yeah 4x4 worked perfect before it was feels like it's bringing up it was on pavement and gravel

On an other note the front drive shaft jerks lots seems like if not under constant load it has lots of play

Last edited:

Benito

Caught the Bug
What kind of lift do you have? If it didn't come with something to correct the pinion angle of the front axle your drive shaft may be getting into a bind, but I've never heard of a drive shaft being in such a bind where it can turn properly. Someone with more knowledge with chime in

Brod

I have a procomp lift it was installed at the dealership don't think the driveshaft is binding up. That's was just a side note seeing if it's normal. It's hard to explain, but I'll do my best .

When in 4x4 high or low mostly low and being under load if I engage the clutch the drive haft seems to pop and clunk back and forth.

Thanks for the imput
Brod

thardy

Banned
I have a procomp lift it was installed at the dealership don't think the driveshaft is binding up. That's was just a side note seeing if it's normal. It's hard to explain, but I'll do my best .

When in 4x4 high or low mostly low and being under load if I engage the clutch the drive haft seems to pop and clunk back and forth.

Thanks for the imput
Brod

My first suggestion would be to take it back to the dealership that did the work and tell them to fix it. Second, did you get a new front driveshaft with the lift?

Brod

That's what I was thinking. The drive shaft it self is tight it's seems to have play in the transfer case/ axle.

Brod

Correct the lift was already installed for the dealer before I bought it it had 400km on it . Was a 2014 left over I now have 9000k on it

Edit: they told me there was no issue not changing the drive shafts

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Correct the lift was already installed for the dealer before I bought it it had 400km on it . Was a 2014 left over I now have 9000k on it

Edit: they told me there was no issue not changing the drive shafts

Yeah that's not normal. Take it back to the dealership.

Brod

Took my jeep to the dealer. they told me it's completely normal for the drive shaft noise and for the binding up in 4wd on gravel road and pavement.

dagdag

Took my jeep to the dealer. they told me it's completely normal for the drive shaft noise and for the binding up in 4wd on gravel road and pavement.

Because there is no central differential in the jeep transfer case, if you crank the steering wheel on pavement in 4wd, some binding should be expected. I have experienced it myself. However it has never prevented me from moving forward altogether. It just took a little more gas than usual, and I could feel tire hop.

Ultimately you should never drive in 4wd on pavement, unless you are in a torrential downpour. Your jeep is a part time 4wd vehicle. Only use 4wd when you need it. Vehicles with full time AWD have an extra differential to accommodate the front axle and the rear axle rotating at different speeds.

Last edited:

ITLL GO

Because there is no central differential in the jeep transfer case, if you crank the steering wheel on pavement in 4wd, some binding should be expected. I have experienced it myself. However it has never prevented me from moving forward altogether. It just took a little more gas than usual, and I could feel tire hop.

Ultimately you should never drive in 4wd on pavement, unless you are in a torrential downpour. Your jeep is a part time 4wd vehicle. Only use 4wd when you need it. Vehicles with full time AWD have an extra differential to accommodate the front axle and the rear axle rotating at different speeds.

Good to know! I also didn't know that info. 😊

thardy

Banned
I understand the aspect of having issues on pavement, but it should still move. As stated, you should avoid using 4wd on pavement.

Top Bottom