LOD JKU Slider Install - Tapping Question...

bonedaddy

So I am leaning towards the LOD JKU Sliders, like the look and step feature - I I have been looking at the install instructions and everything seems cut and dry except the "Drilling and Tapping" part... that part is very vague to me and I am not understanding the whole tapping with the wrench thing seeing I thought you tapped the wholes with the pre-drill bit and then the tapping bit?

Anyone install these that can clarify? I searched but didn't see anything out of th e500 results that answered my question - I have been known to suck at searching though...

Thanks - Donnie

QRS

So I am leaning towards the LOD JKU Sliders, like the look and step feature - I I have been looking at the install instructions and everything seems cut and dry except the "Drilling and Tapping" part... that part is very vague to me and I am not understanding the whole tapping with the wrench thing seeing I thought you tapped the wholes with the pre-drill bit and then the tapping bit?

Anyone install these that can clarify? I searched but didn't see anything out of th e500 results that answered my question - I have been known to suck at searching though...

Thanks - Donnie

I'm gonna leave this here
http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?...ure-Series-Rock-Sliders-Installation-Write-Up

I've been thinking into getting the LoD sliders as well, I'd have them welded.

bonedaddy

see thats the same write up JOD has on there site, still Step #15 I could use some clarification on... maybe I am taking the example photo to literal...

If I decide to weld I'll just do the EVO angled slider...

Sharkey

Word Ninja
I'm not sure what you aren't understanding so maybe you can clarify. In step #15, Eddie is using a wrench on the end of the thread making bit. He is doing that because the frame is thick and can be difficult to cut threads into. I found that the t-handle tool that came with the thread making bit I purchased worked just fine. But, like pictured in Eddie's write-up, if you need more leverage you can use a wrench instead of the t-handle tool.

(You understand that you have to use a hand tool of some sort with the thread making bit, right? You don't want to hook a thread making bit up to a power drill.)

bonedaddy

Shit, I mis read the picture... so he's actually using the wrench to turn the bit... honestly I thought you would be able to use a drill with the bit as long as you had it on a low torque setting and went slow with it... I could have swarn I had seen it done that way before ... but I can see the importance of not stripping the whole out and doing it by hand...

I appreciate the help and you dumbing it down for me... thx...

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Lol. No worries. I'm sure there are people who might use a power tool with the thread bit, but I am not one of them. Why take the chance?

BDSJEEP

I've been thinking into getting the LoD sliders as well, I'd have them welded.

Me three on the LoD sliders. I do like the added step feature. Additionally, I too would want to weld them. So should they be welded in addition to the bolts or instead of? Or if I'm having them welded, should I just go EVO?

Has anyone ever miss-stepped on an EVO slider and twisted an ankle or anything? :crazyeyes:

Thanks in advance,

- B

p.s. it's not hijacking if Donnie got his answer already, right? :thinking:

QRS

Has anyone ever miss-stepped on an EVO slider and twisted an ankle or anything? :crazyeyes::

Haha, joke aside this is one of my worries too, very often I have my little niece and my mom getting into the jeep. Miss-stepping the EVO slider for one of then would have a terrible output. For me the LOD slider step is safer.

BDSJEEP

Haha, joke aside this is one of my worries too, very often I have my little niece and my mom getting into the jeep. Miss-stepping the EVO slider for one of then would have a terrible output. For me the LOD slider step is safer.

No joke...my thoughts exactly! 8 year old nieces and well. Sounds like we share the same valid concerns my friend.

trailless

Caught the Bug
Me three on the LoD sliders. I do like the added step feature. Additionally, I too would want to weld them. So should they be welded in addition to the bolts or instead of? Or if I'm having them welded, should I just go EVO?

Has anyone ever miss-stepped on an EVO slider and twisted an ankle or anything? :crazyeyes:

Thanks in advance,

- B

p.s. it's not hijacking if Donnie got his answer already, right? :thinking:

I got the LOD sliders welded and I'm happy with it. It actually provides somewhat of a step. :thumb:

Kumar

I used a tap socket set and a ratchet which someone recommended in another LōD slider thread and it worked out well. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1439923156.385063.jpg

AlStew

I used a ratchet as well and it made tapping the frame a breeze.

Make sure you take your time marking and lining up the holes to drill. I am no fabricator, but I took my time and I was still off a little. Everything lined up, just not as perfect as I had hoped for.

Rccrwlr

No joke...my thoughts exactly! 8 year old nieces and well. Sounds like we share the same valid concerns my friend.

Love the LoD sliders. Install was easy. However depending on your lift and tires, its a high step. You'll need handles to grab as well. Had to add a rope handle to the headrest for my daughter.

As far as tapping goes. Personally I have used a t-handle and a ratcheting t-handle and I don't like them. No matter what you use, you still have to break the chip as you go. If your unfamiliar with tapping, Do a few Google searches and you'll find plenty of videos. It's all about slow forward, back a bit, slow forward. If you don't back up, you will bind the chip and break the tap. You don't want to break the tap. Ask me how I know!

Installed my lod rock sliders last week and have one thimg to say about them. Awesome!

Seems to be rocksolid, they are good looking and have a smal stepp to help youngsters and old timers.

Install is not difficult but it is very easy to make a misstake when drilling and tapping. Totall 14 holes to drill and tapp and unfortnaterly i fucked it up on one hole. Two mm off center but easy to fix. Just to grind the hole on the slider a little bit and the bolt will fitt.

I think you really can not go wrong with the lod rock sliders. The evo ones are for sure as strong and good but personaly I like the look a little bit more of the lod but that is all about personal taste. I think the evo looks a little bit more "mad max" style and the lod a little bit more "refined" so i guess it depends a little how the build of the jeep is what sliders fit best of these two.

Top Bottom