JK C Gussets install help

Just got a quote to install the C gussets on my JK. Shop wants $410. From all the peoples remarks on here I was expecting the $150-300 range. They were going to remove my ball joints (which I'm ok with) and do an alignment afterwords. Said it would be 4 hours and $85 for the alignment. Was my expectations in la la land to begin with? or does this seem fair?

Also, is there anyone in Northeast Missouri here on WAL that would be willing to do this for some cash and beer? Would rather make a new friend and give the money to someone who could use it on their Jeep.

chipper

I gave a case of beer to a friend to do it. I helped him also. Left the ball joints in and just went slow. Small welds of about 1" then cooled off with wet rags. No need for an alignment either. That's seems high price to me.
You don't need an auto shop to do it, look for a welding shop or metal shop

I gave a case of beer to a friend to do it. I helped him also. Left the ball joints in and just went slow. Small welds of about 1" then cooled off with wet rags. No need for an alignment either. That's seems high price to me.

I thought it seemed high also. They said the alignment was because of removing the ball joints. Which I understand, he would rather have the ball joints out so he doesn't have to weld so small sections and wait.

noroad

That is crazy!! deff try and find a jeep friend that can weld, I had my friend do both of ours for a 12 pack.

This shop was recommended by a friend and I've been told they do good work. Mostly restores of old hot rods but I don't think they have ever down this mod before. I watched them as they tried to work up the quote. Again, I've been told they do good work but I guess you pay a premium for it. I'll keep looking and keep this in my back pocket if I can't find another good option. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't crazy.

RockyJk

Definitely try to find a jeep friend to do it, I got mine done for 2 cheeseburgers and a 6 pack lol

JJK

4 hours is a bit extreme. It might have taken an hour to do mine. That was stopping to drink a few beers and shoot the shit with my buddy while we were doing it.

animalhouse

My neighbor has a welding shop, if you don't mind driving 95 miles straight up I 29 to neb city, ne, I can ask him what he would charge you. I'm sure he would do it with the ball joints in it Still

My neighbor has a welding shop, if you don't mind driving 95 miles straight up I 29 to neb city, ne, I can ask him what he would charge you. I'm sure he would do it with the ball joints in it Still

Thanks for the offer. I've got a couple people at my work I'm talking to right now. If those don't pan out I'll touch base. I'll actually be heading your direction in the near future. Just wasn't planning on driving the Jeep when I went.

Gitzen

If you or a buddy has a decent stick welder or mig welder it can be done pretty easily if you can weld decently. I chose to stick mine over mig because my mig only runs off 120 vs my 240v stick welder. As stated in other posts leave the ball joints in and do about 1 inch at a time, alternating sides on the gusset.

Top Bottom