07 JUKR rear locker flashing light

Maz

Just noticed this weekend when we were on the trail that when I hit the lock button the rear locker light starts flashing, hit it again the front locker locks normal and the front locker light is solid. Tried it many times and it seems that the rear locker is not engaging. Front locker light is solid while the rear locker light is always flashing.

Any idea for help and what could the problem be?

KICKROX

1. Have you had any work done recently?.. like new gears? ( I had the same thing happen to me, and it ended up being that they installed the sensor back in wrong ).

2. Does it act like it's locked when you engage or in other words when you make sharp turns do you feel the rear wheels are locked?

Maz

1. Have you had any work done recently?.. like new gears? ( I had the same thing happen to me, and it ended up being that they installed the sensor back in wrong ).

2. Does it act like it's locked when you engage or in other words when you make sharp turns do you feel the rear wheels are locked?

No work has been done lately. But I bought the jeep not too long ago and first time to try the lockers. It has 5:38 gears.
The light is flashing and the locker is not engaging in the back.

Sh0rtBus

LOSER
More than likely, the sensor is either bad or just not completely connected. Had a similar issue when my gears were installed. Turned out that the installer damaged the sensor during the install. Replaced the sensor and it's worked ever since.

Maz

More than likely, the sensor is either bad or just not completely connected. Had a similar issue when my gears were installed. Turned out that the installer damaged the sensor during the install. Replaced the sensor and it's worked ever since.

You mean the sensor inside the diff?
Do you recall how much did it cost you ?

07JKSahara

Did you have to pull the carrier/locker to replace it?

Thought so... Figured someone might have a clever trick. Thanks Jay!

The only trick I know is to ditch the sensor all together and use the locker coil power to close a relay and use the relay contacts to trick the signal the sensor used to close.

Still, the sensor should be removed and the carrier would need pulled to do so. I've read where some have gotten it out without pulling the carrier, but I can't see how unless it was installed incorrectly.

07JKSahara

The only trick I know is to ditch the sensor all together and use the locker coil power to close a relay and use the relay contacts to trick the signal the sensor used to close.

Still, the sensor should be removed and the carrier would need pulled to do so. I've read where some have gotten it out without pulling the carrier, but I can't see how unless it was installed incorrectly.

Yup, no harm for me. Swapped a rubi front end into my non rubi and the installer messed up the sensor, forcing it locked at all times. I pulled the sensor and plugged the hole. Thanks for the insight!

Sorry for the hijack OP! Hope it's an easy fix!

Maz

I just noticed that when I put the gear on 4 low and lock the rear, sometimes the rear locker light goes solid and when I start rolling it flashes. I stop then I put it in reverse with brakes on it goes solid again. It stays solid until I start rolling. Front locker is working perfectly fine.

Another thing. If both front and rear are locked (solid light in dash) at full stop and gear is on drive, I move my gear to reverse, rear locker light flashes one time and goes back to solid while the front locker light is always solid until I start rolling then again the rear flashes and the front stays solid.

Confusing. Anyone have experience with this ?

Sh0rtBus

LOSER
You mean the sensor inside the diff?
Do you recall how much did it cost you ?

I think it was like $70-$80 for the sensor. He didn't know if it was a direct result of the install or somethign that got screwed up afterward, so we split the cost of the part. I think I paid him like $40 if I remember right.

07JKSahara

Sounds more like a sensor than an actual locker issue. If you lock the rear only, and roll forward does it feel locked? The sensor is like a plunger of sorts and if it's on the wrong side, it wouldn't register locked even if it was....

Last edited:

ERAUGrad04

Caught the Bug
Only thanks to you! I was ready to strap the thing with dynamite and end it all!

Seriously, huge thanks and it's the only reason 1) I can drive the jeep this week, and 2) know what is going on in there!

Just giving you a hard time! :p

Glad you were able to get it sorted out! :thumbup:

RedRum

Mine does that but only when I try to disengage it sometimes but after I roll a couple feet it goes away that sucks sorry to hear it

Maz

Mine does that but only when I try to disengage it sometimes but after I roll a couple feet it goes away that sucks sorry to hear it

What yours is doing is normal as the locker flash a bit to engage and disengage.
What mine is doing is not normal as one is engaging and the other is not.

kpig

My 2013 did the exact same thing. The rear never reliably locked, but the front would lock. It is a bit strange since the front is not supposed to lock unless the rear is also locked. I jacked up the rear axle with both tires off the ground and engaged the rear locker. I discovered that the rear locker would only engage when the tires rotated at 180 degrees. Unacceptable. If you have the funds, I would recommend replacing the rear locker or bring it back to the dealership if it is still under warranty. Dealership may blame gear change. Either way those stock lockers are either good for a while if yours works, or they simply are not reliable. I changed the rear locker to an ARB and couldn't be happier. The front can then be hooked up directly to an SPOD or other switch. Good luck. I know how frustrating it is.

t8er

I've had 3 friends have issues with lockers engaging or disengaging. On all 3 we pulled the diff covers off which drains all the oil and then I thoroughly sprayed everything down with brake cleaner(one jeep used 3 cans on the rear alone). After that I put the covers back on and filled the diffs with a good synthetic oil. I prefer Lucas myself. All 3 worked perfectly.

Top Bottom