E-disco Problem

Moochie

About a month ago, while using my electric sway bar disconnect, my sway bar light started to flash. It was not re-connecting. By default, these are designed to re-connect, mine wasn't. When I used the switch I could hear my motor engaging.

After putting a piece of black tape over the annoying flashing light I proceeded to drive over 1000 miles. To the Rubicon Trail and back.

Yesterday I took a look at my sway bar problem. I pulled the motor and this is what it looked like.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1439933940.267117.jpg

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1439933967.528836.jpg

Some yellow colored greasy crud covering the plunger. With the motor removed, it was still not connected.

I then took the "smart bar" off the Jeep so I could take apart the housing that contains the disconnect mechanism.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1439934312.097841.jpg

The part that normally should be reconnecting the 2 sides of the bar was covered with rust and the spring was not looking to good.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1439934517.470592.jpg

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1439934546.094441.jpg

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1439934572.108199.jpg

I cleaned it all up, put it back together and so far, problem solved. No more light and functioning properly.

I have an EVO no limits manual disconnect I purchased thinking it would make my bar work again. It would not have helped with my problem. The mechanism that connects the sway bar sections together has to be operable, if not, the manual EVO disco can do nothing to make it work.

A lot of people look for used Rubicon sway bar disconnects while planing on using the No Limits disco. Just remember, it's not only the motor that can be bad. The No Limits disconnect only solves the non functioning motor or no power to the motor issue.

Rhin0247

I have had my harness disconnected for the last few months as it was sending my JKR into limp mode, I might try opening her up and cleaning her out before I order the EVO no limits .... Thanks for sharing

Moochie

I have had my harness disconnected for the last few months as it was sending my JKR into limp mode, I might try opening her up and cleaning her out before I order the EVO no limits .... Thanks for sharing

First I took off one of my links to check the sway bar, to see if it was connected, it wasn't. I then took the motor off, checked again and still not connected.

My used one had the same issue. Completely gummed up. The evo no limits didnt work so i had to take it apart and then found the problem. Good PSA Moochie! The inside mechanism has to be clean and in good working order.

Top Bottom