Flowmaster Mufflers/Exhaust

JSTJPN

Has anyone had any experience with flowmaster mufflers? If so, what muffler did you use, are you satisfied, and did you notice any increase in performance?

Saharacon

Ive seen the 40 series and did not like it. Sounds like ARSE :doh:

I do how ever like the rumble from Borla. I hear the 50 Series doesn't sound as tuner ish

jeeeep

Hooked
Has anyone had any experience with flowmaster mufflers? If so, what muffler did you use, are you satisfied, and did you notice any increase in performance?

if you like loud and don't mind drone, the flowmaster is your muffler.

I ran flowmaster on my GC 5.7 hemi and it did make a difference in it's get up and go with little drone, but the GC is more sound insulated than a jk. with the windows down on the GC the flowmaster was noticeable.

I also ran flowmaster on my CJ's but I was much younger and loud didn't bother me then :doh:

BDSJEEP

I have quite a bit of experience with Flowmaster. Their Flowmaster® Part #: 817674 sounds completely awesome on these Pentastars! (in my opinion). Listen for yourself...but to answer your question about performance, well...I would recommend buying an exhaust that is pleasant to your ear. If you're buying to look for performance increase, you most likely will be disappointed no matter WHAT you buy. Increases (if any) are very negligible. Instead, buy it because it sounds good!

This kit completely tucks under the Jeep and exits out the back. Additionally, you wont blow exhaust all over yourself on those dusty trails like the down-piped kits that exit before the axle!

This series (American Thunder) has pretty aggressive outside volumes. But no more than the Dynamax setup that guys around here are running. You can get this same kit with an additional resonator called the Force II.

I also run the 44 series Flowmaster cat-back kit w/resonators (Force II) on my Supercharged 2012 Challenger

..here's an install vid of how easy this thing is...

Last edited:

JSTJPN

Thanks everyone for the replies. I had dual flowmasters on CJ 7 but it had a 350 so the sound was quite impressive.

So, I may give them another go.

Mike Chapman

I added a Flowmaster kit...

I have the Flowmaster American Thunder Exhaust Kit on my 2008 JKU.

It does get loud... I does Drone.. It did add a little Performance.. And I think most aftermarket mufflers will...

I didn't get it for performance though, I wanted to relocate my muffler and install an Air-Tank (Viair 2.5gal) in its location. For this reason alone I would recommend this type of swap. I'm also not going to show it off until I make some sort of Armor for it (while it doesn't hang as low as the muffler did it still just LOOKS vulnerable)... but that'll be another thread..

JSTJPN

I have the Flowmaster American Thunder Exhaust Kit on my 2008 JKU.

It does get loud... I does Drone.. It did add a little Performance.. And I think most aftermarket mufflers will...

I didn't get it for performance though, I wanted to relocate my muffler and install an Air-Tank (Viair 2.5gal) in its location. For this reason alone I would recommend this type of swap. I'm also not going to show it off until I make some sort of Armor for it (while it doesn't hang as low as the muffler did it still just LOOKS vulnerable)... but that'll be another thread..

Good idea on using the space from the old oem muffler for on board air location.

Linebacker

Caught the Bug
I have a flowmaster on my MJ and like it a bunch. The tone is great and makes the 4.0 sound strong. I don't think you're gonna get a noticeable horsepower increase with any aftermarket muffler. To get a small increase you'll need a can the size of a '57 Caddy along with an intake change. Surprisingly the stock goodies do a very good job. Jeep spent lots of time and money on the dyno to maximize HP and not give you a headache on a road trip.:twocents:

JSTJPN

I have a flowmaster on my MJ and like it a bunch. The tone is great and makes the 4.0 sound strong. I don't think you're gonna get a noticeable horsepower increase with any aftermarket muffler. To get a small increase you'll need a can the size of a '57 Caddy along with an intake change. Surprisingly the stock goodies do a very good job. Jeep spent lots of time and money on the dyno to maximize HP and not give you a headache on a road trip.:twocents:

Which muffler did you use?

Static83

I had a flowmaster 50 series installed custom at a local shop. Doesn't have the drone of the old dynomax Evo that I had before. That drove me crazy. Here's a vid I took a couple months ago, it's gotten a bit deeper since. http://youtu.be/YQw4nGbqB2g

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JSTJPN

I had a flowmaster 50 series installed custom at a local shop. Doesn't have the drone of the old dynomax Evo that I had before. That drove me crazy. Here's a vid I took a couple months ago, it's gotten a bit deeper since. http://youtu.be/YQw4nGbqB2g

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sounds good. I like the fact that even with a soft top you are not being drowned out with noise.

H8ROADS

Caught the Bug
I had a flowmaster super 44 on my 2007 JK and loved it..got several compliments on the sound while I had it. I have the dynomax now and I like it pretty well, but I liked the sound at higher RPMs better on the super 44.

JSTJPN

I had a flowmaster super 44 on my 2007 JK and loved it..got several compliments on the sound while I had it. I have the dynomax now and I like it pretty well, but I liked the sound at higher RPMs better on the super 44.

I have been between the super 44 and the 40. Have you heard what the 40 sounds like on the 3.8?

radleyhardy

I got a Flowmaster Delta40 for free.99 off an old buddy's project. Can't beat free, but I'm going to swap in a Dynomax and tuck it up towards the tub

DESERTDAD

I have the Dynomax Evo system and Dear Lord it is loud but after around 500 miles or so I would say I am just getting used to it.:twocents:

Top Bottom