Synthetic or Regular oil

gte338m

So my 2013 has about 20k miles on it. I bought it in Jan 2015 when it had 8k miles on it. Until I bought it, it did not get much use. Today, it simply gets highway miles to and from work. Since I have owned it, I have only used synthetic oil b/c of the belief it is better. But with that, I change the oil every 3k miles.

If I am changing it every 3k miles, should I spend the extra money on synthetic oil?

Note: I have put 37s on it and Super Chipped it with high flow air intake.

catahoula

Caught the Bug
Synthetic on my 86,000 mile 2011. I feel 3,000 is too soon IMHO. These new engines can go longer I guess it also depends where you drive. I change mine about every 5,000. I thought my manual said every 8,000 I could be wrong I am too lazy to look it up. My wife's Honda has about 10,000 on it and at about 20% oil life according to computer and can go further per manual for example.

BigBoy

3000 is too soon, especially if using synthetic. Manual says no more than 10000 between and regular old Dino 5w20 that meets Chrysler specs. I change mine when it tells me, about 7000 miles with my driving habits. I was concerned as this is way out of the norm I was used to on previous vehicles. Had a long talk with Jeep and they say that is how these engines run these days. Go figure.

UpsideUp

I have done 2 synthetic changes on mine since I have owned it. I reset the Trip 2 every time I change oil as its a habit and my last oil change (light) came at 3700 miles. I heard they can go 8k and most change at 5k but I have also head that you should change with the light because they are based on driving style, etc. Seeing as how I have a low mile Jeep with a flat 20 mile commute and have only done a few moderate wheeling trips I would think 3700 is a bit low?? Especially at $100 a pop for synthetic.

xrocknrollx

I change my oil on all my vehicles no matter what at 5k miles as well as tire rotations. I only use synthetic oil, it's still cheaper than paying a shop to do the change with dino.

t8er

I change mine every 7500 miles with full synthetic. I use mobile 1 5w20 and have no issues. On the last one wal mart had a deal on royal purple so I'm running that currently.

Is there anyway to get rid of the light for good? As others have said my light comes on as soon as 3k and sometimes closer to 7k. Seems to come on closer to 3k if when I have shifted it into 4H. That might just be in my head but I feel it comes on quicker if I've gone into 4x4. No wheeling just snow or going out to my dads pond.

trailless

Caught the Bug
I have done 2 synthetic changes on mine since I have owned it. I reset the Trip 2 every time I change oil as its a habit and my last oil change (light) came at 3700 miles. I heard they can go 8k and most change at 5k but I have also head that you should change with the light because they are based on driving style, etc. Seeing as how I have a low mile Jeep with a flat 20 mile commute and have only done a few moderate wheeling trips I would think 3700 is a bit low?? Especially at $100 a pop for synthetic.

Did you reset the oil warning light?

Did you reset the oil warning light?

Yeah, I reset it each time. I would rather just go on my own schedule like ever 5K or 7.5k like others do and avoid the light all together. I keep a log on my phone of every oil change (date/mileage, brand of oil). Along with all other maintenance.

Linebacker

Caught the Bug
I started using syn at the first oil change primarily 'cause I lived in Phx, it's HOT, and the 3.6 generates lots of heat under the hood. Here in Colorado it's just a little cooler. I think a good coating of syn on the engine parts on sub zero mornings during the few seconds before the oil starts circulating can't be doing the engine harm. The owners manual says change every 8k miles but I do it at 5k religiously. It could probably go 8k with no worries, but it seems I'm like other forum members, young and old who are still old school about changes.:twocents:

Sh0rtBus

LOSER
Mobil 1 Synthetic every 5,000 miles in all of my vehicles. Can usually get the 5-qt jug at Wally World for about $23-$26. This coupled with K&N oil filters is my regimen. I consider it cheap insurance. I won't; however, change the oil in my '14 Ram 5.7L myself again. Too much trouble to get to the filter with it being located about steering rack and makes too much of a mess. Dealer does it for me for about $15-$20 using my oil.

Kumar

I get mine done every 5k. Regular Dino oil at dealer. For $9.99 it's the easiest/cheapest option for me.

Top Bottom