Do i need regearing? or what causes this?

daverawr

So im a newb to all these problems.. being used to the stance scene and a subaru sti and how they work not too sure on lifting cars and what it entails.

SO heres my dilemma : I have a 2011 JKUR leveling kit im guessing or just a suspension spacers 2inch i believe. or 2.5. dont remember ( car came with it ) on 18x9 wheels wrapped in 35s BFG KO AT.
Didnt notice this before because i thought it was normal but i guess not. Noticed this when driving past radar signs that show a speed on it and using my friend's radar detector that shows my speed while driving and its known to be accurate and it also matched speeds with the radar signs.

From about 0-30 speeds are accurate with my cars speedometer but once i hit 40+ its about 5mph off. at 40 on speedo i will actually be going 45 and at 60 i will actually be going 65 etc.

Im guessing previous owner didnt get a regearing done or anything. But then again im not sure what the problem is. Any help will be good. I heard for 35s regearing is reccomended etc. if its not this. or it is this. please help.
What gears should i get.? idk how to go about this. so what do i need to do. and what should i get. rather get whatever is needed done right the first time and not have to worry about something going wrong while driving and will be driving a 1100 mile ( one way ) trip in the winter so yeah.

Thanks in advance. Apologize in advance as well if my wording is confusing to say the least. lol.

brooklyn4x4

You don't need gears to correct that. Sounds more like the previous owner never recalibrated the speedo you can buy a flashcal or another tuner plug it in and enter your tire size and you should be fine.

BDSJEEP

It's not a "regearing" (the act of changing the ring and pinion gears in the diff). You just need to tell your Jepp what size tires you have. I'm betting it still thinks your tires are ~32.1" around. (I didn't actually look at what Jeep you have and what size stock tires are).

Saharacon

All you need to do is reprogram your ECU. Not a problem and you can actually win a court case over this if you were caught speeding. But your spedometer is about 5-6 mph off

daverawr

What everybody else said. Just buy an AEV ProCal and it'll do the trick.

BTW nice to see a local on here

Thanks will look into that ! And yeah don't see too many Houston people on here more are in the hill country side. Need to get a WOL banner soon

All you need to do is reprogram your ECU. Not a problem and you can actually win a court case over this if you were caught speeding. But your spedometer is about 5-6 mph off

So you're saying.... To beat tickets I should just not flash at all😏😂 haha.

daverawr

So I also heard 35s it is a good idea to regear. I believe I'm on stock gearing. What gearing would be ideal for the 3.8 ( manual ) off-road 1-2 times a month. Feel the low power on the hills would like something better all around. and would I just have to buy the gear and pinion or is there more to it.

BDSJEEP

So I also heard 35s it is a good idea to regear. I believe I'm on stock gearing. What gearing would be ideal for the 3.8 ( manual ) off-road 1-2 times a month. Feel the low power on the hills would like something better all around. and would I just have to buy the gear and pinion or is there more to it.

Just look UP one thread to here -- http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?...Jeep-JK-Wrangler&p=21019&viewfull=1#post21019 and look at the pretty pictures. :yup::D

Top Bottom