Rear Spring Issue?

zeddjb

I been diving around in my new 2012 Jeep and just recently took it for a quick easy trail run to test out a few things. When I drive over some bigger bumps and articulate over larger obstacles I was noticing a strange sound(metal on metal it sounds like). I remember hearing this sound before on my '09 Jeep and thought to myself, "oh no...a spring..."

Well, I got home and checked around under the Jeep and sure enough I found this:
P1040846.jpg P1040847 (2).jpg P1040850.jpg

This is on the driver side rear; My guess is, that this is a bad thing. I'm not exactly sure if this is the sound I heard, but it sure looks like it could be. I know that it can't be good. This is the rear track-bar and bracket. I wonder if they make a relocation bracket that can be moved back a bit more or would that cause rear traction issues?

What you guys think?

Robar

The Enforcer
How much lift do you have and do you have adjustable control arms? The spring should not make contact with the track bar relocation bracket. Also the bracket like that often cause the factory bracket to break off of the axle because of the extra leverage on it.

zeddjb

I have 4.5" lift. its from rough country but I have Terra flex springs. the control arms are adjustable.

Attachments

• 37" IROKS.jpg
    37" IROKS.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 44
  • ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1444093280.720498.jpg
    ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1444093280.720498.jpg
    357 KB · Views: 17

zeddjb

Sweet. Right now they are out of stock it says on their site, but I'll keep an eye on it.

As for the control arms, I should probably have a mechanic look at the control arms for me. If I adjust the control arms it will need to be re-aligned right? I don't have the knowledge or tools required to do an alignment myself.

Attachments

• WP_20141011_001.jpg
    WP_20141011_001.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 10

Robar

The Enforcer
You won't need to realign anything with adjusting your rear axle, but you do need to make sure that your rear drive line stays at a reasonable angle.

Attachments

• 2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited.jpg
    2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 5
  • 20130705_144132.jpg
    20130705_144132.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 10

hneiper

You won't need to realign anything with adjusting your rear axle, but you do need to make sure that your rear drive line stays at a reasonable angle.

I noticed similar issue after looking at mine the other day I noticed my passenger rear coil spring rubbing my trackbar and now I suspect I need to adjust my control arms. I know for sure the upper is adjustable but not sure about the lower. Anyhow, just curious what a reasonable angle would be? Thanks.

Robar

The Enforcer
I noticed similar issue after looking at mine the other day I noticed my passenger rear coil spring rubbing my trackbar and now I suspect I need to adjust my control arms. I know for sure the upper is adjustable but not sure about the lower. Anyhow, just curious what a reasonable angle would be? Thanks.

Something very close to this:

cv_angle.gif

Top Bottom