Rust Belt - How's your steel bumper holding up?

rob_p

Ok so my next upgrade will be bumpers, and living in the Northeast I have to deal with salt and snow for a good part of the year.
So I'm torn between the strength of steel and the durability of aluminum.

If I go AL it will probably be Genright or maybe Evo, for steel Evo Pro Series or Shrockworks or LOD.
Whatever I get will see mostly road miles and the occasional weekend warrior trip! So how's your steel bumper holding up to rust? Or if you have AL how's the strength?

Last edited:

seanb123

My steel bumper seams fine after living in Philly. Small rust spots but just keep on top and it's fine.

OJK12

The problem with living in the rust belt is everyone thinks only steel has corrosion issues but even the aluminum will corrode. No it won't rust but it will still corrode away if not taken care of. I'd just go steel at least that way it's easier and cheaper to repair. My steel bumpers have done fine I just keep the scale off them and give them a coat of paint between winters.

noroad

there is 4 seasons in NE

1Winter
2paint restoration season
3 construction
4 paint preparation season

Havoc40

there is 4 seasons in NE

1Winter
2paint restoration season
3 construction
4 paint preparation season

:clap2: same here in Michigan. It's a PITA! My local auto parts guys laugh at how much paint I buy.

My bumpers are holding up fine. Went with LoD's zinc primer & powdercoat on my rear bumper, and did the same with my PSC front bumper locally. I'm about to install EVO sliders and skins, and I'm having a really hard time trying to figure out what to do about the skins!

Last edited:

Recurve

My front 1/4 pounder evo bumper is rusty as shit. I took a wire wheel to the whole thing beginning of summer.. Rust is slowly coming back.
I suggest powder coating an keeping up with scratches an scrapes when offroading.

rob_p

My front 1/4 pounder evo bumper is rusty as shit. I took a wire wheel to the whole thing beginning of summer.. Rust is slowly coming back.
I suggest powder coating an keeping up with scratches an scrapes when offroading.

Did you originally powdercoat it or just rattle can?

Jk909

Aluminum is better if you can afford it. My boat trailer is aluminum and will how much I use it in the ocean it still looks new. With mild steel you need to keep a spray can in your jeep to touch it up. That's what I do.

rob_p

Aluminum is better if you can afford it. My boat trailer is aluminum and will how much I use it in the ocean it still looks new. With mild steel you need to keep a spray can in your jeep to touch it up. That's what I do.

That was my original thought, but i see plenty of JKs around town with steel and some seem to fair better than others

Recurve

That was my original thought, but i see plenty of JKs around town with steel and some seem to fair better than others

The reason you see others fair better is
A.They hardly drive it or take it out of the garage.
B. Don't off-road it or daily it much
You daily your jeep in the north east, rust is just a matter of time. So like everyone else says keep up with it or move out west lol
Also my bumper, I imagined it was rattle canned. I bought my jeep with the evo bumper.

Top Bottom