Re-gear worth it for 35" on Rubi 4.10?

ITLL GO

Hey, I have a 2015 JKUR that I have installed Method 17" Beadlocks and 35" Nittos. I have obviously noticed a decrease in acceleration but am wondering if re-gearing is worth it on 35"s I have the stock 4.10 now. If it is recommended, would you suggest 4.56 or 4.88 gear ( if I have those right) I understand 4.56 may be the perfect ratio for the tires, but I am torn if I will step up to 37"s after my lift..... Maybe I should just have a conversation with myself... Just want your guys thoughts. Thanks!

ERAUGrad04

Caught the Bug
I ran my stock 4.10s with 35" BFG MTs and thought it did really well. That said, the Nittos are abut bigger and also considerably heavier.

I basically will boil down to your preference. The ideal gear for 35s is 4.88, but 4.10s can do just fine depending on the terrain in your area.

ITLL GO

With the 4.88 what will I gain and lose? This is my daily and I want to make sure it's still drivable on the freeway. Currently at 2200rpm at 70

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
With the 4.88 what will I gain and lose? This is my daily and I want to make sure it's still drivable on the freeway. Currently at 2200rpm at 70

I'm running 4.88s with 35s and run around 2700rpm at 70mph. I felt the upgrade was worth it because I had 3.73. I suggest you continue running your 4.10s and 35s for a few months before you make your decision. I do not recommend 4.56, not a big enough jump IMO.

KICKROX

It really depends on what kind of off-roading you are going to be doing. If you're not really crawling it and maybe just going to hit the trails. I personally don't think it's worth re-gearing if you already have 4.10's. The difference in re-gearing to 4.56 or 4.88 won't be that noticeable. A friend of of mine did his and really didn't notice it much. ( should note that he does mainly freeway driving and not city driving which is probably where you would notice it )

If you plan to go to 37's then it would be worth it to regear to 5:13's IMO.:beer:

Last edited:

Saharacon

I always recommend a regear to 4.88 or 5.13 if you look at any Gear Ratio Chart You'll see why this gives any one the option of running 33-37 comfortably. I believe every one likes to upgrade at some point. Why not invest in a system that'll prove it's use.

Spudcannons

My 4.88s are fine on the highway. cruising at 70+ is fine as well.

IMO 5.13 is too deep for 35" tires. A lot of people run 4.88s with 37s.

Last edited:

Torqt JK

I also have 4:10 on 35" (toyos) but holding off on regearing until I purchase 37"(most likely 5:13). For now it's a little sluggish off the line now but has handled the rocks just fine.

2Cross

Caught the Bug
Regeared my sons 2dr to 5.13 with 35" BFG KM2s. It is too deep for me. But plan is to go 37s in the future.

Engine revs high at 70+ mph.

Stegertime

Caught the Bug
I have 4.88 for my 35s and it is perfect as my DD and does great on trails. Just picked up Rubi axles and gearing to 5.13 in anticipation of 37s

RedRum

I have km2s and stock 4.10s and think it is flawless that being said I came from a sport with 3.21s and same tires so ...

rob_p

I'm running 35s with 4.10 on my JKU, without any issues, sure I lost a little power but not enough for me to do anything about it.

(FWIW mine is a manual)

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
I run 35s with an auto and 4.10s and think it's about perfect for me around the terrain I'm in mostly.

One question, have you reprogrammed it for the bigger tires?

ITLL GO

I run 35s with an auto and 4.10s and think it's about perfect for me around the terrain I'm in mostly.

One question, have you reprogrammed it for the bigger tires?

Good to hear. Yes, I reprogrammed the tires with the procal. It drives fine and still has plenty of power. I just miss the way it drove stock with no steel bumpers on it. Seemed like a little rocket haha

quickc6

I also have a 15 Rubicon with 35 inch tires and 4.10. I also have a heavy front bumper with a winch, heavy wear bumper with the tier carrier , engine and trans skid plates, Rock Krawler 3.5 X Factor lift ( if you have looked into Rock Krawler they are heavy). Needless to say it's quite a bit of weight for my jeep. I drove it with the 4.10 gears for a couple of months.I then added a Rock Krawler tie rod and cast differential cover. The jeep is really starting to feel sluggish now. Last week I had 4.88 gears install. What a difference. It seems like it's has the power that it had when I first bought it, before I started adding all the accessories. You need to decide what you're going to do with the jeep and then make the decision as to what gears your need.
Good luck bro

ITLL GO

I also have a 15 Rubicon with 35 inch tires and 4.10. I also have a heavy front bumper with a winch, heavy wear bumper with the tier carrier , engine and trans skid plates, Rock Krawler 3.5 X Factor lift ( if you have looked into Rock Krawler they are heavy). Needless to say it's quite a bit of weight for my jeep. I drove it with the 4.10 gears for a couple of months.I then added a Rock Krawler tie rod and cast differential cover. The jeep is really starting to feel sluggish now. Last week I had 4.88 gears install. What a difference. It seems like it's has the power that it had when I first bought it, before I started adding all the accessories. You need to decide what you're going to do with the jeep and then make the decision as to what gears your need.
Good luck bro

Thanks a lot for the info! Sounds like you have much more weight then me so far. I like your approach. I feel like I may rock the 4.10 for a bit longer and focus on some more armor and a winch first. Then decide if I need more gear. Got a pic? Jeep sounds awesome

rsmwrangler

Thanks a lot for the info! Sounds like you have much more weight then me so far. I like your approach. I feel like I may rock the 4.10 for a bit longer and focus on some more armor and a winch first. Then decide if I need more gear. Got a pic? Jeep sounds awesome

Sorry for the newbie question but I see somebody mentioned a gear chart ? can somebody post a link to it ? i'd be looking to regear as well within 1-2 months tops, and I see the recommendation for 35's and the 3.6 is now 4.88 ? i thought this was for the 3.8 engine ? or maybe I read in other forums the recommendation for 35's were 4.56 ??, I have a 13 Sport with the 3.21's, and i'll be adding rear locker/front TT, and I was thinking 4.56's because I have 33's (bought them last month, so it'll be at least 3 years before I switch tires), I have no plans for anything bigger than 35's anyways, but i'll be adding steel to protect belly/rocker panels, bumpers, winch etc, etc, given the extra weight, I thought 4.56's were going to be ideal in this platform?

aldaman

Sorry for the newbie question but I see somebody mentioned a gear chart ? can somebody post a link to it ? i'd be looking to regear as well within 1-2 months tops, and I see the recommendation for 35's and the 3.6 is now 4.88 ? i thought this was for the 3.8 engine ? or maybe I read in other forums the recommendation for 35's were 4.56 ??, I have a 13 Sport with the 3.21's, and i'll be adding rear locker/front TT, and I was thinking 4.56's because I have 33's (bought them last month, so it'll be at least 3 years before I switch tires), I have no plans for anything bigger than 35's anyways, but i'll be adding steel to protect belly/rocker panels, bumpers, winch etc, etc, given the extra weight, I thought 4.56's were going to be ideal in this platform?

Here is the link.....

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?...-the-JK-Wrangler&p=21019&viewfull=1#post21019

Keep in mind that the tire size will be based on actual measurement rather than the advertised size in the side wall of the tire...For me my 35" tire measured 33.75" mounted, with the weight of the jeep and at 30psi..

image.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom