Tips for choosing a line for a newb

FuriousDz

Im new to wheelin on the rocks, did better the second time out then the first.

I was wondering if anyone would be willing to share some of the knowledge you use when choosing a line other than keep the big stuff under the tires and away from the middle.

I know there are many factors such as terrain, driving and rig capabilities and some i probably dont even realize. I was just hoping to get a little insight and maybe some tips you guys use, maybe some dos and donts.

Hope to hear from the experienced wheelers on here.

Thanks

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Great thread!! Do you have a manual or automatic? Also, do you have a Rubicon or Sport/X or Sahara?

FuriousDz

6 speed unlimited sport
3.73's
3.5 rk
37" toyo mts

Im going to address the axles and gears right after the winter. I know that 30 pushing those big tires isnt going to last long

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
6 speed unlimited sport
3.73's
3.5 rk
37" toyo mts

Im going to address the axles and gears right after the winter. I know that 30 pushing those big tires isnt going to last long

Well, when you upgrade your axles, I would definitely regear at the same time. Pushing 37's with a 6-speed, 3.73 gears and a 2.72:1 transfer case isn't exactly going to help you on the rocks. If you can afford to buy a used Rubicon t-case, that'll help out a lot too.

Having said that, keeping your tires on the big stuff and everything else out from under your Jeep is good advice. Being that you have a stick, try to keep it in 1st gear and low range and and try to stay off the clutch. If needed, use your hand brake to help control your speed/movement when starting off on a big climb - engage your hand brake, start to let up on your clutch and when you feel it starting to pull forward, slowly let off on the hand brake and apply gas all at the same time. It takes some practice but, it'll help out a lot and help keep you from burning out your clutch. Throttle control is a big part of wheeling and if you can learn how to do that well in a manual, you'll be golden.

As far as picking good lines go, try to always plan a route 2-3 steps ahead of what's immediately in front of you. If needed, get out and walk the trail a bit and try to memorize where you want to be next. As you're working your way through the obstacle, try to remember what you want to be doing next and you come up and over each rock, tree or what have you. If you get to a point where you've forgotten what to do next or, aren't where you thought you'd be, stop, get out and re-asses things. If you have a spotter, tell them what you're hoping to do before you start as good communication goes a long way.

Aside from that, make sure you're airing down enough as that will help give you better traction and of course, make sure that you disconnect your front sway bar to help give you better articulation.

FuriousDz

Thanks for the great advice. I will keep it all in mind next time im out on the trail.

Im definitely going to address the gears and add lockers when I do the axles.

Im already finding the importance of gears and throttle control as my rig wants to stall out a lot while crawling. The e-brake will be a big help as it gets a little sketchy trying to slip the clutch when starting over something or even scarier going down a steep hill. Finding that balance of just enough gas, clutch and brake is fun, fortunately for me most of the behicles Ihave ever owned have been manuals so I can drive one pretty well.

What about knowing which direction to turn your wheels when leaning one way or the other? I would imagin it could be the difference in getting over and rolling over. Any rules of thumb when off camber?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
What about knowing which direction to turn your wheels when leaning one way or the other? I would imagin it could be the difference in getting over and rolling over.

Rule of thumb is to turn into the fall just like you would turn into a slide.

Any rules of thumb when off camber?

Suck in the cushions and pray - LOL!! Just kidding. More times than not, you're probably not leaning as far as you think and in situations like that, having a spotter telling you what the reality is can be very helpful.

1BAMFR

I agree w/ above stated about swapping out your transfer case for a new/used Rubi 4:1 TC....its seriously night and day.....for rocks you need it with a 6 speed tranny.

Automatic guys can get away with it but the 6 spds. Will either stall out or go too fast for "crawling"

WOH111

Might sound funny but it true, drive by the seat of your pants. Your backside will feel things your hands on wheel won't or feet on the floor won't either. Were you can feel the slightest movement no matter which direction, with your bottom. And if is telling you don't go that direction, pay attention to your feelings.

FuriousDz

So far...

keep the big stuff out from the middle
gearing is important
turn into a fall
and
listen to your rear end

Anyone else want to share their expertise and thoughts they use when choosing a line?

jeep-creep

Watch a lot of rock crawling vids. Like watching film for football of fighters... We are all, always learning. You are well on your way, you weren't too proud to ask for help.
Cheers! ;))

FuriousDz

Watch a lot of rock crawling vids. Like watching film for football of fighters... We are all, always learning. You are well on your way, you weren't too proud to ask for help.
Cheers! ;))

Thanks, i always try to read up and watch as much as i can before I start asking questions but there is no substitution for real world experience. I was always taught the only stupid questions are the ones not asked. Thanks again for the reply.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks, i always try to read up and watch as much as i can before I start asking questions but there is no substitution for real world experience. I was always taught the only stupid questions are the ones not asked. Thanks again for the reply.

If you can, try wheeling with people who are a lot more experienced than you. They can teach you a lot and hands on. :)

Sharkey

Word Ninja
You need to learn where your tires are and that comes from driving offroad, a lot. Practice seeing how close you can get each tire to an obstacle before touching the obstacle; test how accurate you are at determining how far apart your tires are, both side to side and front to back. Having a feel for where your tires are at all times is huge in my book.

FuriousDz

If you can, try wheeling with people who are a lot more experienced than you. They can teach you a lot and hands on. :)

This is exactly what ive been trying to do. I just usually wind up feeling bad cause i dont want to hold anyone up being less experienced.

I have to say though the couple times ive been out, the guys ive tagged along with have been great with showing me things.

FuriousDz

You need to learn where your tires are and that comes from driving offroad, a lot. Practice seeing how close you can get each tire to an obstacle before touching the obstacle; test how accurate you are at determining how far apart your tires are, both side to side and front to back. Having a feel for where your tires are at all times is huge in my book.

Funny you say that as this is the very thing ive been trying to get better at.

In a regular car im used to the edge of the tires being even with the edges of the hood/body.

Where as now its easy to forget your flares stick out a decent amount past the body. Also having 13.50 wide tires with 1.5 spacers puts them out even further. So i actually got out of the jeep and saw that my tires line up fairly well with the side view mirrors so i try to visualize that being my centerline for my tires.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
This is exactly what ive been trying to do. I just usually wind up feeling bad cause i dont want to hold anyone up being less experienced.

I have to say though the couple times ive been out, the guys ive tagged along with have been great with showing me things.

Most guys will be more than happy to help you out and if they aren't, you don't want to be wheeling with them anyway.

Top Bottom