PDA

View Full Version : ARB Twin air compressor

Serg5000
11-30-2012, 03:39 AM
Is anyone running one of these as a means to inflate tires, as well as for use with lockers. I'm also wondering where you have mounted this huge compressor. I just purchased one and plan on using it for both applications I have mentioned.

Serg5000
12-01-2012, 01:35 AM
So many Jeepers and no one uses one yet.
Ok looks like I'm doing the install solo. I shall
Post pics of how and where I plan on installing it.
It will be installed in the engine compartment.
Today I ordered some parts that will get the job
Done. Stay tuned.

wayoflife
12-01-2012, 01:54 AM
Is anyone running one of these as a means to inflate tires, as well as for use with lockers. I'm also wondering where you have mounted this huge compressor. I just purchased one and plan on using it for both applications I have mentioned.

With some creative work, you might be able to get one installed under your hood but, ARB installed theirs here...
http://project-jk.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=314965

Not such a bad place if you ask me. I like their regular HD pump and it works well - I can only imagine the dual setup would be better.

Serg5000
12-01-2012, 02:24 AM
I have been thinking of where to mount this huge compressor under the hood. I believe I have come up with a solution. But I would like to wait to say where until its in. I have measured about 50 times and with the help of a part already in production it can be done.

This new compressor sitting on my tool box is killing me. Can't wait to be able to air up with this thing. And when I run 37's. it should be great.

Sharkey
12-01-2012, 04:25 AM
Is there enough room to mount it inside the rear cubby?

Serg5000
12-01-2012, 04:43 AM
Is there enough room to mount it inside the rear cubby?

For sure. The cubby is pretty big.

Sharkey
12-01-2012, 04:51 AM
For sure. The cubby is pretty big.

So long as it didn't get too hot in there, I would thing it might be a decent place...especially if you ran an external tank or a quick release chuck somewhere else. It would keep down on the interior cabin noise (the cubby, not the chuck or tank).

Trembley
12-02-2012, 02:03 PM
I was considering the cubby location for mine as well when I get to that stage of my build. Something in my brain says if it would be ok to go into the engine compartment then it should be ok to go in the cubby...even considering in the engine bay it would get more natural air flow cooling.

wayoflife
12-02-2012, 03:30 PM
That is something to take into consideration, compressors get hot... REALLY HOT.

Serg5000
12-02-2012, 04:17 PM
This unit comes with a built in fan. This is another reason I'm installing it in the engine bay. Having it exposed to the outside air is priority.

Heholua
12-04-2012, 04:41 AM
I have seen where some guys mounted the Twin off the fire wall, under the steering column:hmm:

bl17z90
12-04-2012, 05:22 AM
I'd be willing to bet you could run air tools off this thing too.

Serg5000
01-06-2013, 02:57 AM
Today I was supposed to go on the run with the other 50 jeeps but my boss need a couple of us to bail him out of a pinch. Three guys called in sick.

So I asked him what we were expected to do. He said just go in and keep an eye on the park. I asked him if I could install my compressor in between going out and Checking on things. He said he didn't care as long as we drove site at least three times to ensure the park was doing ok. My partner told me to go ahead and work on my jeep project and he would drive site.
I managed to get the install done, minus the wiring. Here are some pics of the dual battery tray I used as well as the final install.

Serg5000
01-06-2013, 03:02 AM
I used a Rugged Ridge dual battery tray. I made a bracket to hold the compressor in the second battery spot. The spacer you see on the front of the compressor is there to help support the unit. I made sure the unit was a 1/4 inch above the tray bottom. So it is kind of floating. I installed a rivnut on the unit so I had a place to secure the front with. Everything worked rather well. All I have left is the wiring and I should be good to go.

Heholua
01-06-2013, 03:04 AM
Nice install!:thumb:

Atch
01-06-2013, 03:04 AM
Looks like a sweet setup, like Eddie said I love the single & can only imagine having the twin

Serg5000
01-06-2013, 05:10 PM
Looks like a sweet setup, like Eddie said I love the single & can only imagine having the twin

He is the one person that you might be able to say has tried everything. I ask him lots of question. Hope he doesn't get tired of it.

OverlanderJK
01-06-2013, 05:15 PM
Nice install Serg!

ProfessionalDriver
01-06-2013, 05:49 PM
I really like the idea of mounting it to a dual battery tray. Great thinking! And it looks awesome! :yup:

Serg5000
01-06-2013, 10:08 PM
Thanks guys. I chewed on this for awhile.

For anyone thinking of doing this. Keep in mind the Rugged Ridge tray is for Optima batteries. I ended up welding the fuse box mounting plate to the battery tray because I needed the space taken up by the three bolts it uses to attach the two. If anyone has any questions, hit me up.

hothondaguy
01-06-2013, 10:29 PM
one of the guys on the run had one of these mounted under the passenger seat, at least i believe this is the one he said he had. it inflated all four tires in like 5 minutes. he did all 4 at ones with some custom built hoses...

Serg5000
01-06-2013, 10:33 PM
one of the guys on the run had one of these mounted under the passenger seat, at least i believe this is the one he said he had. it inflated all four tires in like 5 minutes. he did all 4 at ones with some custom built hoses...

That's fast. I will be running 37's soon so this should help with inflating them.

Serg5000
01-13-2013, 10:07 PM
Compressor is installed and all wired up. This thing is awesome.

JKAnimal
01-13-2013, 10:28 PM
Let us know what kind of filling times you get ⚡

WAYALIFE 🍺

Serg5000
01-14-2013, 12:23 AM
Let us know what kind of filling times you get ⚡

WAYALIFE cdf7a

Ok. I will deflate one of these days after work just to run some times.

Serg5000
01-20-2013, 06:49 PM
Finished up the connector install this beautiful morning.

Serg5000
01-22-2013, 01:08 AM
And it looks like I'm not finished.

Turns out one of the motors is faulty. ARB said its a know issue and offered to send me repair parts. WTF! I mentioned that the unit was one and a half months old and would rather have it replaced. So they told me to call 4wheel parts for warranty. I spent all day on hold. Boy was I mad. Then they said before they can send me another. They need a tracking number and it has to be in the hands of FedEx before they can process my replacement. I couldn't believe my luck today. So after spending a beautiful day on hold. I decided to just give up. I gave them the tracking number and turned off my phone.
Then I turned it back on to rant here. Sorry

Chiromancer
01-25-2013, 11:32 AM
Oh man! That is such a bummer! I had a similar issue with my GoPro... Even after sorting it out, I was still annoyed as can be! Dropped it and the 150$ in accessories back at the box store and will reevaluate in another month if I want to so the same thing again...

JKAnimal
01-25-2013, 02:06 PM
And it looks like I'm not finished.

Turns out one of the motors is faulty. ARB said its a know issue and offered to send me repair parts. WTF! I mentioned that the unit was one and a half months old and would rather have it replaced. So they told me to call 4wheel parts for warranty. I spent all day on hold. Boy was I mad. Then they said before they can send me another. They need a tracking number and it has to be in the hands of FedEx before they can process my replacement. I couldn't believe my luck today. So after spending a beautiful day on hold. I decided to just give up. I gave them the tracking number and turned off my phone.
Then I turned it back on to rant here. Sorry

That sucks! Now you'll have to do an uninstall write up...I hope they get that taken care of for you!

On the flip side your connector looks cool!

Good luck!

WAYALIFE APP 🍺

Serg5000
01-26-2013, 03:20 AM
I received the new replacement unit. I installed it this afternoon.
I deflated one tire which is a 35". It took just over 2 minutes to inflate. Not sure if it is slow or fast. Not having ever owned one I have nothing to compare to. Also, I do not have a tank so that may be something to look at in the future.

RodCyn
01-26-2013, 03:33 AM
I received the new replacement unit. I installed it this afternoon.
I deflated one tire which is a 35". It took just over 2 minutes to inflate. Not sure if it is slow or fast. Not having ever owned one I have nothing to compare to. Also, I do not have a tank so that may be something to look at in the future.

Nice, thinking out of the box, install. :clap2:

What are the pressures you deflated/inflated your tire?

Hightower
01-26-2013, 04:59 AM

Serf I've got the same compressor sitting in its box waiting to be installed but I haven't found time and or decided on a location.
I was leaning toward putting it under the rear seat but you might have made my decision easier. Lol

What connectors are you running, did you hard plump it from the compressor , last did you run a connector to the rear?

Thx

arashi
01-26-2013, 06:19 PM
Ok... i truly love that setup... It's officially in my wish list! How much it cost you?

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Serg5000
01-27-2013, 01:17 AM
Serf I've got the same compressor sitting in its box waiting to be installed but I haven't found time and or decided on a location.
I was leaning toward putting it under the rear seat but you might have made my decision easier. Lol

What connectors are you running, did you hard plump it from the compressor , last did you run a connector to the rear?

Thx

I'm glad you liked my setup. It was a challenge to figure it all out but I am very happy with the final product. The hardest part was figuring out where it would fit and not get in the way of other things.

As for the plumbing. I used big rig brake line and fittings. Those fittings are sweet. You just push them on until it bottoms out. If you need to remove the line, you simply push down on a collar and pull the line out. I purchased way more fittings the. Needed just incase. You may want to figure out where your coupler is going so you only order what you need. Stan also threw in a fitting that is female to female. If you rip or tear a line you just trim both end and splice with this fitting. I will post pics of the fittings if you need close ups. All fittings are stainless steel.

As for how many couplers I used. I only put one on the front bumper. If you need pics of anything let me know. I will post them for you.

The air hose and fittings I purchased from Stan over at JeePerformance inc. I had them ship the parts to me. I think they are in Yucaipa.

Serg5000
01-27-2013, 01:21 AM
Ok... i truly love that setup... It's officially in my wish list! How much it cost you?

The ARB unit was just over $500.00. The dual battery tray was $125.00 I believe. The mounting bracket material I used I had from a previous project. It is 3/16" steel. It didn't take long to make once I knew what and where I wanted it. Any other questions let me know.

Serg5000
01-27-2013, 01:28 AM
Here are the fittings I used.
The fitting on the left is capped so when your not using the coupler. This keeps dirt and shit out of it.

Serg5000
01-27-2013, 01:32 AM
Nice, thinking out of the box, install. :clap2:

What are the pressures you deflated/inflated your tire?

I was deflating to 15/17lbs. And inflating to 40lbs.
It was suggested I should consider running 32lbs max. I am planning on trying that pressure tomorrow. I can inflate from 15lbs to 32lbs in just over a minute.

Hightower
01-27-2013, 11:24 PM
Serg thx. Sorry about the surf iPhone auto correct! Lol do you have any pictures of the plumbing that connects directly to your compressor? What do u think about using Nemesis's dual battery bracket? It has the 2nd battery below instead of beside the original battery.

Serg5000
01-28-2013, 01:37 AM
Serg thx. Sorry about the surf iPhone auto correct! Lol do you have any pictures of the plumbing that connects directly to your compressor? What do u think about using Nemesis's dual battery bracket? It has the 2nd battery below instead of beside the original battery.

It's dark now so I will take some pics of the plumbing on both ends tomorrow. As far the battery tray, I don't know anything about that one.
I like this side by side model because it keeps it up high. And I chose the inside panel to try and keep it away from water and mud. I will take a look at the one you mentioned.

Serg5000
01-28-2013, 01:43 AM
Here is an attempt that kind of sucked. Day light will help.

I also took a look at the tray you mentioned. The first issue I see is whatever you put on the bottom tray ever fails or has a problem, your screwed. Access is limited. Looks like you have to remove whatever is on top to get to the bottom. Not a big fan of that. Also, the price is steep for that tray. I purchased a Rugged Ridge for $125.00 ish. The nemesis tray is almost 3 bills. Not to mention I have access to either one of the components it cradles.

Hightower
01-28-2013, 04:12 AM
Agreed about cost and location of the tray. I was think of putting the battery on bottom and pump on top but as u say dealing with any issues with the battery will become a big job.

Serg5000
01-28-2013, 04:26 AM
Agreed about cost and location of the tray. I was think of putting the battery on bottom and pump on top but as u say dealing with any issues with the battery will become a big job.

Do you still have fender liners? If not you should be able to get to your battery from the bottom if need be.

In any case. Good luck with your project. If you have any more questions let me know. I will help if I can.

Hightower
01-28-2013, 11:48 AM
No fender liners for me and thats a good point thx

arashi
01-29-2013, 12:07 AM
The ARB unit was just over $500.00. The dual battery tray was $125.00 I believe. The mounting bracket material I used I had from a previous project. It is 3/16" steel. It didn't take long to make once I knew what and where I wanted it. Any other questions let me know.

Thanks!

Charlie Mike
01-29-2013, 12:30 AM
Today I was supposed to go on the run with the other 50 jeeps but my boss need a couple of us to bail him out of a pinch. Three guys called in sick.

So I asked him what we were expected to do. He said just go in and keep an eye on the park. I asked him if I could install my compressor in between going out and Checking on things. He said he didn't care as long as we drove site at least three times to ensure the park was doing ok. My partner told me to go ahead and work on my jeep project and he would drive site.
I managed to get the install done, minus the wiring. Here are some pics of the dual battery tray I used as well as the final install.

Great idea with the dual battery tray! :thumb:

But you think you might get problems when you start wheeling in wet/muddy areas? It looks like with the open fan in that up right position, gravity will pull down any water that might get in the engine compartment. :thinking:
Any problems or experience with wet conditions yet?

Charlie Mike
01-29-2013, 12:35 AM
Great idea with the dual battery tray! :thumb:

But you think you might get problems when you start wheeling in wet/muddy areas? It looks like with the open fan in that up right position, gravity will pull down any water that might get in the engine compartment. :thinking:
Any problems or experience with wet conditions yet?

Looks like I should have done my research before posting. :doh: These things are IP55! :beer:

Serg5000
01-29-2013, 01:07 AM
I live in SoCal not much mud around here. Either way these things are made for that abuse. As far as water goes......we shall see. I put plastic on the bottom of the tray before bolting in the compressor to help keep any water from coming directly from underneath. Only time will tell. On the other hand. I purchased a 3 year warranty no questions asked free replacement plan from 4wheelparts when I purchased the unit. So for the next three years I'm covered. Lol.

Serg5000
01-29-2013, 01:09 AM
Clarsen. Here are the pics I said I would take for you. Hope they help.

Rock-itman
02-01-2013, 04:16 AM
Really nice set-up great job !! I didnt think they had a dual tray yet for the 2012 Jk ? A friend of mine fabbed up some brackets for us to use the dual ARB under the pass seat as well and nobody has had an issues yet . And now i see a company is duplicating the product to a point and selling on thier site . Difference being they look prettier and they move w/ the seat ( which im not sure is so great w/ all the lines in and out .) I think i saw the tray on overlander forum for the dual set-up for the 12 jk but like you said it was optima batts only . thanx any info would be greatly apprec as im wondrin same thing w/ the install (WHERE ) to go . Cheeers looks great :beer:

M_Savage
04-30-2015, 04:40 PM
Clarsen. Here are the pics I said I would take for you. Hope they help.

I know this thread is old. but i have been searching for some option for my Compressor. where can i buy some of the 90% attachments? i am having problems with the airline connecting the compressor to my manifold hitting my hood and now it has created a small leak.

scull20
04-30-2015, 04:53 PM
I know this thread is old. but i have been searching for some option for my Compressor. where can i buy some of the 90% attachments? i am having problems with the airline connecting the compressor to my manifold hitting my hood and now it has created a small leak.

I am not sure what you are referring to with regard to the "90% attachments".

As far as the air line is concerned, take a look in the ARB instructions, they show you how to loosen the manifold and rotate the outlet for the compressor. You'll get more clearance this way. I have mine rotated like this with a large swivel elbow and a quick disconnect and my hood closes just fine. 140311

M_Savage
04-30-2015, 04:59 PM
I am not sure what you are referring to with regard to the "90% attachments".

As far as the air line is concerned, take a look in the ARB instructions, they show you how to loosen the manifold and rotate the outlet for the compressor. You'll get more clearance this way. I have mine rotated like this with a large swivel elbow and a quick disconnect and my hood closes just fine. 140311

sorry its been a long morning for me. i meant to say a 90 degree attachment for the airline connecting the manifold to the compressor. Ill try and get pictures when i get home tonight that might better show what i am trying to explain. but the airline that came with my manifold sits too high and is coming into contact with my hood still. these are the attachment included with the kit:

I need some more low profile ones so they dont sit as high. kid of like this:

IceColdJK
07-28-2015, 04:25 PM
I live in SoCal not much mud around here. Either way these things are made for that abuse. As far as water goes......we shall see. I put plastic on the bottom of the tray before bolting in the compressor to help keep any water from coming directly from underneath. Only time will tell. On the other hand. I purchased a 3 year warranty no questions asked free replacement plan from 4wheelparts when I purchased the unit. So for the next three years I'm covered. Lol.

Now that you've had it installed for some time how has it held up? I was thinking of installing mine inside the cab area but was concerned about two things noise and heat. How loud are these compressors? Do they get hot enough to burn someone? I do not want my daughter or anyone else to be hurt by accidental contact if it is in the passenger area. I love the under hood setup you have. It looks clean and maintenance free.

Spudcannons
07-28-2015, 04:27 PM
Now that you've had it installed for some time how has it held up? I was thinking of installing mine inside the cab area but was concerned about two things noise and heat. How load are these compressors? Do they get hot enough to burn someone? I do not want my daughter or anyone else to be hurt by accidental contact if it is in the passenger area. I love the under hood setup you have. It looks clean and maintenance free.

They got HOT, hot enough to seriously burn yourself. Even the connections to the air hose when filling tires on the compressor side gets hot enough to burn you.

Serg5000
07-28-2015, 06:57 PM
I would be more concerned about the noise rather than the heat. It's a noisy bastard. Hot, hell ya they get hot.

WJCO
05-25-2016, 04:25 PM
Bump. For those of you running the ARB twin compressor. What's a good working hose system for airing up tires? I like the idea of the inline gauge too. Basically if I buy this compressor, what else will I need for airing up tires (fittings/lines/etc)? I want to do it once and do it right. I do not have lockers, and don't plan on lockers.

swampdog
05-25-2016, 05:14 PM
Bump. For those of you running the ARB twin compressor. What's a good working hose system for airing up tires? I like the idea of the inline gauge too. Basically if I buy this compressor, what else will I need for airing up tires (fittings/lines/etc)? I want to do it once and do it right. I do not have lockers, and don't plan on lockers.

For 35 bucks you can get he ARB air up kit which has the flexible air hose, quick connects, and all of the end attachments you could ever need. It does not come with an in line air gauge, but ARB makes one for an additional 30 bones.

WJCO
05-25-2016, 05:32 PM
For 35 bucks you can get he ARB air up kit which has the flexible air hose, quick connects, and all of the end attachments you could ever need. It does not come with an in line air gauge, but ARB makes one for an additional 30 bones.

Cool. Thanks. Exactly what I'm after. I'll look into it.

swampdog
05-25-2016, 05:34 PM
Cool. Thanks. Exactly what I'm after. I'll look into it.

Are you going to be using it for lockers or just airing up? You will need a manifold if using it for lockers.

WJCO
05-25-2016, 06:04 PM
Are you going to be using it for lockers or just airing up? You will need a manifold if using it for lockers.

No lockers. Just tires. I'm leaning toward the twin because of speed. Wife and kids are tired of waiting in the Jeep for slow air ups with my cheapy compressor. I was going to go with the single because I wanted the portable system, because the twin portable system is really expensive. But the more I'm looking at it, I could still get the fast-ass twin compressor and just hook it on to the vehicle for a decent price. I'm pretty confident I'm going to do it that way.

JKAnimal
05-25-2016, 06:11 PM
No lockers. Just tires. I'm leaning toward the twin because of speed. Wife and kids are tired of waiting in the Jeep for slow air ups with my cheapy compressor. I was going to go with the single because I wanted the portable system, because the twin portable system is really expensive. But the more I'm looking at it, I could still get the fast-ass twin compressor and just hook it on to the vehicle for a decent price. I'm pretty confident I'm going to do it that way.

I run the ARB twin and it's awesome! I did the under the passenger seat mount and no complaints. I plan on plumbing a line to the front and back eventually.
Right now I just leave the door cracked. No complaints from the wife and kids.

WJCO
05-25-2016, 06:15 PM
I run the ARB twin and it's awesome! I did the under the passenger seat mount and no complaints. I plan on plumbing a line to the front and back eventually.
Right now I just leave the door cracked. No complaints from the wife and kids.

Cool. Good info. Question: Under the seat did you have to extend power wires from the battery. I'm running power wires back even further, I'm running 25 ft of 2gauge cable from the battery to my rear cargo area and mounting it back there. I just want to make sure the cables don't get too hot. According to ARB amp draw specs, I think I'll be fine, but am still curious how you went about wiring it under the seat as far as the power source.

swampdog
05-25-2016, 06:20 PM

If you are only going to be using it for airing up, have you put any thought into a power tank? Would air up tires faster, powers air tools, and has enough umph to re-set a bead on a tire. The draw back is the amount of space it would take up in your WJ.

WJCO
05-25-2016, 06:35 PM
If you are only going to be using it for airing up, have you put any thought into a power tank? Would air up tires faster, powers air tools, and has enough umph to re-set a bead on a tire. The draw back is the amount of space it would take up in your WJ.

Want to keep the space. Another reason I didn't go with the twin portable system. It's massive (the box that houses it).

cozdude
05-25-2016, 06:42 PM
The arb twin is a great system. It fills my 35's in just over a min each. The air compressor pack mentioned is good especially if you need to fill up footballs and bike tires and such as it comes with needle fittings. If you don't need that stuff I suggest just buying the arb gauge and going to a harbor freight or such and just making you own air hose for a lot cheaper.

swampdog
05-25-2016, 06:42 PM
Want to keep the space. Another reason I didn't go with the twin portable system. It's massive (the box that houses it).

Gotcha. Then the mountable twin is your best option.

blackrubi14
05-25-2016, 06:44 PM

I bought a quick disconnect kit from ORO to use from the compressor to a quick disconnect , and the ARB for airing up. The ORO quick disconnect can be mounted anywhere, I believe it is intended to be mounted in the cab, however, I mounted mine under the hood on the mount for my compressor and it has worked out great so far. The only thing extra you would need if running this set up would be a gauge, I use the ARB air chuck with built in gauge, there are several on the market, just pick with ever one fits your needs best.

JKAnimal
05-25-2016, 06:47 PM
Cool. Good info. Question: Under the seat did you have to extend power wires from the battery. I'm running power wires back even further, I'm running 25 ft of 2gauge cable from the battery to my rear cargo area and mounting it back there. I just want to make sure the cables don't get too hot. According to ARB amp draw specs, I think I'll be fine, but am still curious how you went about wiring it under the seat as far as the power source.

The power wires ARB provided are long enough to reach the battery via the firewall grommet under the battery box. I've never felt the cables get warm. The compressor gets plenty hot so make sure you have plenty airspace around it.

WJCO
05-25-2016, 07:07 PM
The arb twin is a great system. It fills my 35's in just over a min each. The air compressor pack mentioned is good especially if you need to fill up footballs and bike tires and such as it comes with needle fittings. If you don't need that stuff I suggest just buying the arb gauge and going to a harbor freight or such and just making you own air hose for a lot cheaper.

Good to know. I already have some of those fittings, so may not be necessary. Thanks.

Gotcha. Then the mountable twin is your best option.

That's what it sounds like. Thanks.

I bought a quick disconnect kit from ORO to use from the compressor to a quick disconnect , and the ARB for airing up. The ORO quick disconnect can be mounted anywhere, I believe it is intended to be mounted in the cab, however, I mounted mine under the hood on the mount for my compressor and it has worked out great so far. The only thing extra you would need if running this set up would be a gauge, I use the ARB air chuck with built in gauge, there are several on the market, just pick with ever one fits your needs best.

I definitely want quick-connect. I assumed the ARB tire inflation kit came with it, but now I guess not. I'll definitely be getting something like this. Does the compressor itself come with any quick-disconnect fittings right on the pump body?

The power wires ARB provided are long enough to reach the battery via the firewall grommet under the battery box. I've never felt the cables get warm. The compressor gets plenty hot so make sure you have plenty airspace around it.

Thanks for the tip. How long would you say the power wires are? I guess I can check the ARB website too.

cozdude
05-25-2016, 07:11 PM
Good to know. I already have some of those fittings, so may not be necessary. Thanks.

That's what it sounds like. Thanks.

I definitely want quick-connect. I assumed the ARB tire inflation kit came with it, but now I guess not. I'll definitely be getting something like this. Does the compressor itself come with any quick-disconnect fittings right on the pump body?

Yes it does. As you can see I have it mounted on my air tank.

WJCO
05-25-2016, 07:14 PM
Yes it does. As you can see I have it mounted on my air tank.

Sweet. Thanks Coz. The nearest Harbor Freight is about 25 miles from me. So for 35 bucks, I'll probably get the ARB hose kit. Thanks for the DIY suggestion though.

blackrubi14
05-25-2016, 07:15 PM

No, not a quick disconnect, but it does come with a fitting. The ORO kit came with a fitting for the top of the compressor and the quick disconnect.

cozdude
05-25-2016, 07:18 PM
Sweet. Thanks Coz. The nearest Harbor Freight is about 25 miles from me. So for 35 bucks, I'll probably get the ARB hose kit. Thanks for the DIY suggestion though.

Anytime. Here is the gauge I got
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0036ULEV0/ref=ya_aw_od_pi?ie=UTF8&psc=1

As well as the arb hose kit
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003CETT26/ref=ya_aw_od_pi?ie=UTF8&psc=1

swampdog
05-25-2016, 07:20 PM

WJCO, these are exactly what I was referring to, but Coz went the extra mile and provided links for you. Seems like a pretty swell guy

WJCO
05-25-2016, 07:26 PM
No, not a quick disconnect, but it does come with a fitting. The ORO kit came with a fitting for the top of the compressor and the quick disconnect.

Ok. Cool. But the hose still can be removed from the fitting simply right? So it's not always attached? The way it looks I can just use two fingers (no tools) to get the hose off?

WJCO, these are exactly what I was referring to, but Coz went the extra mile and provided links for you. Seems like a pretty swell guy

Cool. Thanks for the links. Those are the two parts I've been looking at. Hopefully I'll have all this going in the next couple of weeks.

blackrubi14
05-25-2016, 07:33 PM
Ok. Cool. But the hose still can be removed from the fitting simply right? So it's not always attached? The way it looks I can just use two fingers (no tools) to get the hose off?

Cool. Thanks for the links. Those are the two parts I've been looking at. Hopefully I'll have all this going in the next couple of weeks.

The hose from the compressor to the quick disconnect, with the ORO fitting, yes.

WJCO
05-28-2016, 09:34 PM
Thanks for all the help guys. Just ordered the twin compressor, hose kit, and gauge.

swampdog
05-28-2016, 10:15 PM
Thanks for all the help guys. Just ordered the twin compressor, hose kit, and gauge.

Nice brah!!!! You will love it.

swampdog
05-28-2016, 10:16 PM

The seal is so good on the ARB's electrical connections. Honestly, for a OCD dude...it's like sex plugging in those almost air tight connections.

blackrubi14
05-29-2016, 04:03 PM

Nice! I don't think you will be disappointed :thumb:

blackrubi14
05-29-2016, 04:06 PM
The seal is so good on the ARB's electrical connections. Honestly, for a OCD dude...it's like sex plugging in those almost air tight connections.

Hahaha, that's funny! :clap2:

MattMc
06-06-2016, 07:57 PM
So, I'm looking at this system in the near future. My question is, 12v or 24v? The specs on both are the same, so I'm assuming this a compatibility thing?

WJCO
06-06-2016, 08:02 PM
So, I'm looking at this system in the near future. My question is, 12v or 24v? The specs on both are the same, so I'm assuming this a compatibility thing?

You'll need the 24 if you have dual batteries I assume.

You'll need the 12 if you have one battery. I just checked ARBs site and couldn't find any other usefull info about it.

WJCO
06-06-2016, 08:04 PM
Forgot to update this thread. Here's how I mounted it. Not wired yet though.

cozdude
06-06-2016, 08:43 PM

All you need is the 12v

swampdog
06-06-2016, 08:47 PM

Your jeep is a 12V. It's what I run in mine (you filled up with it!)

2nd.gunman
06-06-2016, 08:49 PM

You'll need the 12 if you have one battery. I just checked ARBs site and couldn't find any other usefull info about it.

You want to match your system voltage so 12v even if you have 2 batteries as they will be wired in parallel. If you go with a 24v version you would need to disconnect your batteries and reconnect in series to use it.

The 24v version is pretty much just for trucks.

Sharkey
06-06-2016, 08:50 PM

Why wouldn't you just buy the 12 volt and run it to one battery? :thinking: Every dual battery setup (USA) I have ever run has been a 12volt system.

WJCO
06-06-2016, 08:52 PM
You want to match your system voltage so 12v even if you have 2 batteries as they will be wired in parallel.

Why wouldn't you just buy the 12 volt and run it to one battery? :thinking: Every dual battery setup (USA) I have ever run has been a 12volt system.

Touche.... :)

badassbrass
06-06-2016, 10:43 PM
Install it under da hood and get a tank.207047207048207049

MattMc
06-07-2016, 02:37 AM

All you need is the 12v

Your jeep is a 12V. It's what I run in mine (you filled up with it!)

You want to match your system voltage so 12v even if you have 2 batteries as they will be wired in parallel. If you go with a 24v version you would need to disconnect your batteries and reconnect in series to use it.

The 24v version is pretty much just for trucks.

Thanks for the answer everyone. I knew it was probably an easy answer, but I don't electricity very well.

Specific thanks to Swampdog for letting me air up with his. Convinced me that I needed one. ARB should hire that guy!

WJCO
06-08-2016, 07:56 PM
Update: Here's how I hung my hose :cheesy:

swampdog
06-08-2016, 07:59 PM
Update: Here's how I hung my hose :cheesy:

My fear with that is that it would advertise what is in there to an opportunist, but I guess most people wouldn't recognize what that is anyways.

WJCO
06-08-2016, 08:10 PM
My fear with that is that it would advertise what is in there to an opportunist, but I guess most people wouldn't recognize what that is anyways.

I thought about that too. But at the same time, I have a winch, lights, and other crap on the outside of the Jeep. While I do error on the side of caution, I don't want to live in fear either. Plus, our neighbors really watch out for each other too.

swampdog
06-08-2016, 08:11 PM
I thought about that too. But at the same time, I have a winch, lights, and other crap on the outside of the Jeep. While I do error on the side of caution, I don't want to live in fear either. Plus, our neighbors really watch out for each other too.

Cool. I figured you had thought this through, that was just my knee jerk reaction. Congrats on all the upgrades and enjoy the compressor, they are sweet.

WJCO
06-09-2016, 02:36 AM
My stats for air up. New ARB twin compressor fills my four 295/70R17 tires from 20 psi to 30 psi in 7 minutes and 39 seconds.

blackrubi14
06-09-2016, 02:00 PM
Compressor looks good, as does all of your Jeep, those fenders are badass looking!

My concern with the hose being mounted there would be it bouncing around and hitting the sidewall and making noise, especially on trials that rock you side to side a lot like Hancock Pass, or even parts of Tincup. Just a thought......

WJCO
06-09-2016, 02:17 PM
Compressor looks good, as does all of your Jeep, those fenders are badass looking!

My concern with the hose being mounted there would be it bouncing around and hitting the sidewall and making noise, especially on trials that rock you side to side a lot like Hancock Pass, or even parts of Tincup. Just a thought......

Lol. I thought of that too.

WJCO
06-10-2016, 08:33 PM

You were right. Even on-road it moved around too much. I installed a second clamp down lower and it's fixed. And still easy to take out or put away.

badassbrass
06-16-2016, 10:02 AM
Metal cloak bracket

blackrubi14
06-16-2016, 03:53 PM
You were right. Even on-road it moved around too much. I installed a second clamp down lower and it's fixed. And still easy to take out or put away.

Good to hear. Any pics of it with the second clamp?

WJCO
06-16-2016, 04:54 PM
Good to hear. Any pics of it with the second clamp?

Yep. Just a little lower than the first one.

blackrubi14
06-16-2016, 05:13 PM
Yep. Just a little lower than the first one.

Heck yea, that'll work!

Have you had a chance to use your compressor yet?

WJCO
06-16-2016, 06:47 PM
Heck yea, that'll work!

Have you had a chance to use your compressor yet?

Yep. In the driveway. 295/70R17. Dropped all 4 to 20 psi. Aired all 4 up to 30 psi in under 8 minutes including removing and re-installing valve caps. Love this thing.

Speeddmn
06-16-2016, 07:11 PM
Now in comparison for this vs the 9.5 Warn powerplant?

I plan to get the Zeon 10 or 10s, thinking 10, then save some pennies and get the synthetic line later. Take the 980 bones for the winch, add in the 500 bones for the ARB twin, that is roughly in the ball park of the powerplant...

Either way, I need a new winch, and I need a way to air up some tires. So one item, or two....

WJCO
06-16-2016, 07:21 PM
Now in comparison for this vs the 9.5 Warn powerplant?

I plan to get the Zeon 10 or 10s, thinking 10, then save some pennies and get the synthetic line later. Take the 980 bones for the winch, add in the 500 bones for the ARB twin, that is roughly in the ball park of the powerplant...

Either way, I need a new winch, and I need a way to air up some tires. So one item, or two....

I think the Power Plant is more than that isn't it? I remember it being 1700-1800 when I was looking at it. What are the PowerPlant air up times? And can you run tools off the winch without a separate air tank? That would be a benefit as well.

Speeddmn
06-16-2016, 07:32 PM
I think the Power Plant is more than that isn't it? I remember it being 1700-1800 when I was looking at it. What are the PowerPlant air up times? And can you run tools off the winch without a separate air tank? That would be a benefit as well.

I think I've seen it in the 16XX range so at the end of the day a hundred bucks isn't going to hurt me. I know the powerplant comes with the air up stuff, hose, fittings, etc. I haven't even looked at CFM/psi ratings etc, yet. I just know it is a huge (size wise) winch and would block lots of air flow. I am also assuming I would need to buy a hose, plumbing, fittings etc to make the ARB useful? I like the idea of the twin, I really do. A dedicated air source, I don't need it for lockers yet, or maybe ever... I feel as if a tank would come in handy, but at what size, where to mount etc...

WJCO
06-16-2016, 08:08 PM
I am also assuming I would need to buy a hose, plumbing, fittings etc to make the ARB useful? I like the idea of the twin, I really do. A dedicated air source, I don't need it for lockers yet, or maybe ever... I feel as if a tank would come in handy, but at what size, where to mount etc...

The compressor is just that, the compressor. The tire kit is about 30-40 bucks and comes with everything you need for air up. Then the inline gauge that I have is separate. But it tells you your pressure why you're filling up. I'm really glad I got it. I was lucky enough to find a guy on ebay selling the tire air-up kit and the gauge together for 60 bucks. The tank isn't really needed unless you're running tools from what I understand. Cool thing about the twin is that with a JK, there are a few companies that make brackets for it already.

cozdude
06-16-2016, 08:12 PM
In fill up times the powerplant and arb are comparable. The only downside to the powerplant is that if you want to run air lockers your still going to need to get at least the small arb

Speeddmn
06-16-2016, 08:18 PM
Yeah, I think the twin is the way to go over all. In the end I think it equals the same cost for within a reasonable margin. Looking at the websites the ARB has looks to go up to 150 psi, and 6 CFM. Says to use a tank if using tools rated over 3 cfm. The Warn maxes out at 100 psi and 5 cfm at 90 psi. I'm kinda air compressor dumb, but I know you want more CFM for air tools.

Now adding a tank in the future is a great idea, and I kinda think the stock location of the muffler would be a decent area, I dunno... More on that later, but I think this will be on the short list of items soon.

WJCO
06-16-2016, 08:23 PM
The only downside to the powerplant is that if you want to run air lockers your still going to need to get at least the small arb

Wow. I didn't realize that. Why is the extra compressor required?

Speeddmn
06-16-2016, 08:28 PM

Isnt it something about holding pressure? The ARB is or can be always on, were as the Warn needs to be turned on to use. Then again I could be totally wrong, if so that's ok...

cozdude
06-16-2016, 08:30 PM

Cause you can't hook up the air locker solenoids onto the powerplant so you need a small compressor to fill the small arb air tank to then hook the air locker lines up to.

In my set up below you can see the small air tank needed to connect the solenoids to.

WJCO
06-16-2016, 08:58 PM
Cause you can't hook up the air locker solenoids onto the powerplant so you need a small compressor to fill the small arb air tank to then hook the air locker lines up to.

In my set up below you can see the small air tank needed to connect the solenoids to.

I know what you're talking about now. I saw that in the manual. Wonder if you could plumb that small tank into the power plant some how? Of course you've have to run wires into dash, etc too.

Sharkey
06-16-2016, 09:13 PM
Coz - A little off topic, but what mount are you using for the twin?

cozdude
06-16-2016, 09:15 PM
Coz - A little off topic, but what mount are you using for the twin?

Using the MORE mount sharkey.

JK_Dave
07-08-2016, 05:59 PM

Hey bud, take a look at Innovative JK Products (http://www.innovativejkproducts.com). They have a hose system so you can run one air chuck under your passenger and driver side doors and air up all four tires to a set pressure at once. Check them out :thumb:

MattMc
07-08-2016, 06:09 PM
Has anyone done a passenger seat install on one of these? I just got mine delivered, and I'm a bit unsure on the length of the supplied harnesses.

WJCO
07-08-2016, 06:12 PM
Hey bud, take a look at Innovative JK Products (http://www.innovativejkproducts.com). They have a hose system so you can run one air chuck under your passenger and driver side doors and air up all four tires to a set pressure at once. Check them out :thumb:

Thanks. I already got it set up with the ARB hose kit.

Has anyone done a passenger seat install on one of these? I just got mine delivered, and I'm a bit unsure on the length of the supplied harnesses.

I think Ddays did one with a CMM bracket. Check his build thread.

WJCO
07-08-2016, 06:16 PM

See post 103: http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?31355-The-build-re-build-of-Gruff

MattMc
07-08-2016, 08:37 PM
See post 103: http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?31355-The-build-re-build-of-Gruff

Thanks. That helps.

WJCO
07-26-2016, 08:57 PM
And since you all were wondering....yes the ARB Twin Compressor will inflate a 65cm excercise ball to 80 inches in less than a minute.......and yes, the instructions on the ball say to never use an air compressor. And yes, you can still be a real Jeeper while pumping up an exercise ball next to your Jeep while your neighbors are watching you.

swampdog
07-26-2016, 09:13 PM
And since you all were wondering....yes the ARB Twin Compressor will inflate a 65cm excercise ball to 80 inches in less than a minute.......and yes, the instructions on the ball say to never use an air compressor. And yes, you can still be a real Jeeper while pumping up an exercise ball next to your Jeep while your neighbors are watching you.

To anyone that was on the fence about one of these...you're welcome

MattMc
08-05-2016, 06:22 PM
To anyone thinking about installing one of these and wondering how to get the power wires through the grommet in the firewall underneath the battery tray, the plug on the end of the wires can be disassembled. Save yourself the trouble and look it up on YouTube. Learn from my mistakes...